Sandman

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Sandman

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:10 pm

I was browsing in the local Barnes & Noble and saw a nice looking hardcover book. The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman. I've read and liked a few of his books and have heard good things about the Sandman series in general but never knew where to start. I ended up buying it. Came home and looked up stuff online and it turns out this is Book 11, wow. I'm sure some of you have gone through this series...how is it? Without knowing much about it, I'm tempted to just order the whole thing from Amazon, but I figure I'd ask you guys about it first.

I found this "guide" to buying and reading the Sandman series. What do you guys think of it? If I get the series (lots of books, lots of ducats), should I get it in the order specified here?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:55 pm

The companion isn't necessary to have, but it's fun to read through *after* you read the entire series.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:57 pm

Ive never actually read any pure Neil Gaiman. I have, however, read Good Omens which was written by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, and if any of Gaimans books are anything like his half of Good Omens, i'd get them all.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:02 am

I have the first three Sandman books, as well as his project with Yoshitaka Amano, The Dream Hunters. All of it is pretty good, especially The Dream Hunters.

Luminaire
Forum Jesus

Postby Luminaire » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:24 am

I bought the Dream Hunters, and then I never read it. Am I a fool?

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:26 am

Yeah, because it'll take you like 30 minutes to read.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:12 am

So what do you think, is the story worth it to order the whole thing online? We're talking over $150 worth of books here. Last time I spent that much on books in one shot was spring 2001...and fall 2000...and spring 1999...and....

Addendum: I think I'm going to return the book I bought today. It's still in the wrapper (there's a wrapper), and it's a 30% price savings if I get it online along with the other books, and it's not much use to me if I don't have the earlier books anyway.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:43 am

Well, I can't really say anyting much about the story as a whole, because I'm not sure what it is yet. I haven't gotten that far. Book I was an introductory story putting everything in modern context, Book II was a completely seperate story, and Book III was a collection of stories all independent of each other. If Crandle pops up, he could probably tell you more. I like the books I have, though, and I'd certainly be willing to buy more; I just haven't had the opportunity.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:55 am

It is worth it. I haven't read the whole series, but I have read a good majority of it; if you read and liked American Gods, it's got that same kind of flavor except for Odin isn't such a prick. Book 10, "The Wake", is actually where the main story ends. 'Dream Hunters' and 'Endless Nights', are seperate from that, and the two Death books concern only one member of the Sandman cast, namely Death. And yes, they are in order.

$150+ is actually a decent deal for the entire series.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

bone
Sociable Minister

Postby bone » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:58 am

I've read about half the series. You'd hardly be doing yourself a disservice by buying them all, but you needn't concern yourself with acquiring the whole thing in one go if you're not getting a discount by doing so. The books are fairly dense--the sort of things you generally want to read a couple of times before moving on to the next in line.
Make the world a better place this week. To do the job right, just make sure the pistol is aimed at the roof of your mouth.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:49 am

I returned the book I'd bought in the store today, and then came home and ordered fourteen Sandman books (seven from amazon and seven from b&n) online. About ninety dollars from each site. I hope you guys are right about this series, and if not then I won't blame you; I'll blame myself for ever having thought you guys had good taste.

Neil Gaiman I've read:
  • Neverwhere 9/10
  • Good Omens 7.5/10
  • American Gods 8.5/10
But apparently he's best known for Sandman.

bone
Sociable Minister

Postby bone » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:55 am

The only complaints I have ever heard about this series have been from people who 'didn't get it.' And their complaints were generally along the lines of "it confused me--who the hell is Puck?" Since you seem like a fairly clever monkey, I sincerely doubt you'll have that problem. Enjoy.
Make the world a better place this week. To do the job right, just make sure the pistol is aimed at the roof of your mouth.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:57 am

Oh, this Sandman series references <s>Gargoyles</s> Shakespeare? Awesome bo bawesome!

Addendum: if the story ended at Book 10, what is this Book 11 (which apparently just came out in October 2003) all about?

bone
Sociable Minister

Postby bone » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:02 am

....You seriously do need to read the series if you actually made the preceding post.

Corwin
Go Banana!

Postby Corwin » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:04 am

Addendum:

Stardust - 8/10

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:21 pm

Whatever you do, don't judge the whole series based on the first book. I know a lot of people that tried to read the first couple of issues and were really turned off by the art. It gets better... much, much better. Not to say the first book is crap; I really enjoyed the issue where he goes to hell, and Death's first appearance at the end is one of my favorite issues of all time. It's truly a great series.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:27 pm

Neil did a Slashdot interview that was posted today. Some very interesting things to say. I've never read any Gaiman stuff before, but this interview makes me very interested. Apparently he lives in Minneapolis, which is super-cool.

I plan on picking up American Gods, it sounds pretty fascinating.

He's also aware of Joss Whedon, enough to know that he's a very busy guy at least.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:00 pm

Well, I bought the whole series last year, and Endless Nights just recently. It is too late to change your decision now, but I wouldn't anyway, as I think they will be much to your taste. I don't imagine I'll be getting any of the extra volumes (the Companion, the Death series, the Dream Hunters) since I've spent enough already, but I don't at all regret getting them in the first place.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:56 pm

The Death manga that got released recently was a lot of fun; it runs parallel to The Dream Country. Despair hitting on super-deformed Edgar Allen Poe was the coolest.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:16 pm

nobody_important wrote:The Death manga that got released recently was a lot of fun; it runs parallel to The Dream Country. Despair hitting on super-deformed Edgar Allen Poe was the coolest.

I hated that with a fucking passion.
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”