Sandman

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:08 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Me too. Are you reading his run on the new Marvel MAX edition of Punisher? I was afraid that the move to MAX was just an excuse for tits n' blood, but Ennis has used it to really turn the Punisher into a regular bastard. Excellent stuff so far.

spoiler-[spoiler] I mean hell, he kills his old sidekick Micro at the end of the first story arc.[/spoiler]

Sadly not, I don't have a local comic shop. I must get down to Forbidden Planet and see what I can get hold of. I've probably got some back issues of PVP & Rising Stars waiting there.

Now Rising Stars, what a book, JMS is the master of the story arc.

PsychoLarry1
Secretly a Robot

Postby PsychoLarry1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:56 pm

You mean master of the slow ass, never fucking finished story arc. It's been over a year since the last issue of Rising Stars, and he's managed to stretch Supreme Power's opening (boring) story line out for at least that long. 12 issues for a re-telling of a JLA rip off creation is absolutely glacial story-telling.
I was funny once...once

Crandle
Minister of Sermons

Postby Crandle » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:02 pm

I love Ennis' Punisher (the man has always been good at black comedy) but the joke is wearing thin, now. For example, the Wolverine arc...his treatment of that character was fantastic, but everything else tried to be stupidly funny and failed spectacularly. It's a one-note thing; he plays it very well, but it's time to move on.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:03 pm

Crandle wrote:I love Ennis' Punisher (the man has always been good at black comedy) but the joke is wearing thin, now. For example, the Wolverine arc...his treatment of that character was fantastic, but everything else tried to be stupidly funny and failed spectacularly. It's a one-note thing; he plays it very well, but it's time to move on.

Preacher, in a nutshell.

Crandle
Minister of Sermons

Postby Crandle » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:09 pm

Square721BT wrote:
Crandle wrote:I love Ennis' Punisher (the man has always been good at black comedy) but the joke is wearing thin, now. For example, the Wolverine arc...his treatment of that character was fantastic, but everything else tried to be stupidly funny and failed spectacularly. It's a one-note thing; he plays it very well, but it's time to move on.

Preacher, in a nutshell.

Yeah, that's my feeling from what I've read (which is bits here and there; I'm not really interested in, say, buying all the trades). There appear to be a couple exceptions, like "The Land of Bad Things", but it's mostly sniggering at how bizarre and disgusting he can be - which got old around the Meatman bits.

And then you have the shitty sexual politics and the hatchet job he made on portraying Christianity (though to be fair, I don't think he was really criticizing that particular faith as much as religion in general).

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Not to mention the gist of the comic is the fact that unrealistic movie-script morality isn't feasible, and isn't it sad that the world is like that?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:39 am

Well, I was referring pretty much exclusively to his run since it got moved to the MAX imprint. Yeah, the Wolverine joke was getting old, but Ennis' hatred for that character is relatively famous, so it's not surprising he'd take every opportunity to run it into the ground.

As far as Preacher goes, as Ennis wrote at the end of the first story arc: (paraphrased) "The city is full of stories. Not all of them have a moral." Preacher was, I think, by-and-large Ennis' attempt at writing an American fable against the backdrop of vampires, midgets, and a crazed religious fanatic with a head that resembles a penis. America through a shifted kaleidascope. Not everything worked; nothing in a relatively long-running comic does. Overall, it was a very enjoyable read at least for me.

If someone is desperate for a theme, I would say it revolves around friendship and stereotypical ideas of masculinity, yes; but not that those ideas are completely outdated, just that they need to change and adapt as does everything else. Again, see above though. In the end, I think Ennis was just trying to write an entertaining story with the occasionally dubious moralistic bit getting mixed up in it.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:14 pm

Someone who has the power to do such things should split many of these non-Sandman related posts into a seperate, general-purpose comic-book thread. Sandman thread is for Sandman and should not be sullied with the discussion of lesser works :)
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:18 pm

Your mother.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:25 pm

But I love Archie!

Why can't we talk about Archie in the same thread as Sandman?

That wacky jughead...

(Note: It being me and all people may actually think I like Archie comics... I don't... well I don't hate them, but I know they're garbage... except for Punisher vs Archie, it was kinda fun)

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:13 pm

I just found out that one of my coworkers is a huge Sandman fan. This is great! Now I have someone in real life to talk to about it. She is also cool because she played the Dark Tower boardgame as a kid (but she hasn't read the Dark Tower series...yet.).

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:33 am

Bag of Ass wrote:! Now I have someone in real life to talk to about it.

What's that supposed to mean?! *curls up into a dejected little ball, feeling kinda figment-y*
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:11 pm

I'm supposed to act surprised when I get Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things and Absolute Sandman (vol 1) for my upcoming bday.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 pm

you son of a bitch.

also, more sandman merch? crap. just when i thought i'd bought everything, they pull me back in!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Btw, the Absolute Sandman is the biggest book I've ever gotten in the mail. Thing is huge! It's over a foot high, and when you factor in the "sleeve" I think it weighs seven or eight pounds.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Sandman is back.

Yeah, it's a shame they're charging like $6 an issue or something like that.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Gotta wait for the volume, I guess.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am

and even the second issue was WAY delayed, I'm waiting until it's all over before reading it for sure. There'll be a comixology sale at some point

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”