.'s Food of the Day and Culinary Rodeo!

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 am

I'm making your Drunken Ham this weekend.

I've just finished making the new menu and my new bosses decided we should do a sizeable Special's board each week. So this week, it's christened with Drunken Ham.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 am

DampCat wrote:I'm making your Drunken Ham this weekend.

I've just finished making the new menu and my new bosses decided we should do a sizeable Special's board each week. So this week, it's christened with Drunken Ham.

Emma's mum makes something similar, except using cider instead of bourbon..

..It tastes all kinds of awesome.

:rotate:

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 am

From Laura's Mom:

I have no measurements. I think it depends on how many you're feeding.

Ingredients:
Onions
Bell Peppers
Garlic
Hot Pepper Flakes
Bay Leaf
Large Tin of Crushed Tomatoes (or grate up some fresh Tomatoes)
Eggs (Two per person, approx.)
Salt/Pepper
Oregano (optional)

Directions:
Saute chopped onions and chopped peppers in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes until soft. Add tomatoes. Now simmer until thick and rich. Season with salt, pepper, oregano (optional), and a bay leaf. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, if you have it. Once the "sauce" is nice and thick and tasty, make wells in the sauce and break an egg into each well. (A 12 inch skillet can hold 6 nicely.) Cover and cook for 10 minutes or so until egg white is set and the yolks are nearly so.

Serve eggs with the sauce and some pita bread.

Seriously, I had this Thanksgiving morning at her house and it was quite tasty.

Oh, something from Laura's Sister-in-Law:

Ingredients:
2 cups of peanut butter
0,5 cup maple syrup

Directions:
Mix together and eat.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:57 pm

What are the names of these dishes? Well, maybe just the first one.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:12 pm

No idea, I'll try to remember to ask.

Using something I like to call the telephone, I found out.

Shakshouka is the first one. Disgusting is the second.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:20 pm

The first one's name reminds me of Revolver Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid 2. He went by Shalashaska.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:48 am

Paella
My first time making it solo and damn it was good. For this recipe, you don't need a paella pan, but it certainly makes it easier, I guess. You need a deep pan with an oven-proof handle, if not. I used the deep pan and it seemed just as scrumptious.

Ingredients:

0,5 cup Dry white wine
1 tsp saffron
Olive oil
0,5 cup chopped onion
0,5 cup chopped celery
2 cups long grain rice
2 red bell peppers (or orange, yellow, purple, etc. No green)
5 cups chicken stock
6 oz skinless chicken breast
0,5 lb shrimp
1 lb mussels
2 lb clams
2 lobster tails
0,5 cup chopped tomato
Red pepper flakes

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Chop the tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Peel the shrimp. Cut chicken in bite sized cubes. Scrub/wash/de-beard your mussels and clams. (Throw away the open ones, you lout.)
Put some olive oil in the pan, enough to coat the bottom lightly. On med-high heat, preheat the pan until the oil is just smoking. (Not black smoke. If it goes black, throw it out, wash the pan, and try again.) Throw in your onions and celery. Saute until onions are golden brown. Then add the dry rice, also frying until golden brown (while stirring). Add saffron and wine and stir until wine has been absorbed. Stir in the peppers. Now, add the chicken stock, 0,5 cup at a time until all is absorbed. (Other than prep, this will take the longest time.) Add the chicken, cook for five minutes, then throw in the seafood/mussels and push them into the rice. With a spatula or spoon, tap the rice even all around and cook on the med-high heat for a couple more minutes. (We want a crunchy rice layer on the bottom. If you want less crunch or no crunch, skip this and stir during the upcoming baking time.) Throw in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes or so until the mussels/clams open up. Add the tomatoes, then bake a couple minutes more. Toss some red pepper flakes over the top.
Make sure to serve everyone some of the crunchy bottom, it's the best part.
If you don't have/can't afford the actual saffron, they do have saffron rice for pretty cheap. Get that.

Holy hell, this stuff was delicious. And look, I made sure to kill numerous animals in the process!

I also made a Surinam Cherry tart, but I didn't write down what I mixed together. It was splendid, as well.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:26 pm

I think you lose a couple points by using animals that cannot be gathered by use of a shotgun.

You do however gain points for use of animals that are harvested in a genocidal manner.

It does look great though, I'm going to have to try this one.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:14 pm

I ordered the Achewood cookbook the other day. Go me.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 pm

I made this Mojito-Glazed Chicken this weekend. It was pretty good. If I make it again, I think I'll use chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken.

Basically you take a chicken, apply a dry rub both above and underneath the skin, do a marinade, then sear, bake, and broil it with a glaze.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Cheese and Bacon Quiche

6 slices bacon
1 c. grated cheese (swiss, cheddar, gouda, pepper jack, whatever)
1/2 c. milk *
1/2 c. sour cream *
4 eggs
Dash each of salt, pepper, and nutmeg
1 to 1 1/2 c. sauteed vegetables (spinach, mushrooms, onions, anything)
9 in. pie crust (thawed, if frozen)

Preheat oven to 375.
Cook bacon until just cooked, not crisp. Empty all but a tablesppon or two of grease out of the pan, then saute your chosen vegetables in the grease.
Mix together sour cream, milk, and the dashes of spices. Beat eggs well, then add to sour cream/milk blend.
Once sauteed to your desired level of doneness, spread the vegetables, bacon, and cheese on the bottom of the pie crust. Add egg mixture over the top. Bake 40-50 minutes until top is dark golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Put the pie pan on top of a pizza pan/baking sheet in the oven in case it spills while rising. It shouldn't, but just in case.

Concerning the *, you can use 1 c. cream or half and half in place of the sour cream/milk mixture.

Bacon can be replaced with ham, turkey, chicken, etc. Vegetables can be whatever you want, just make sure to drain them if a lot of liquid cooks out of them while sauteing. Almost any cheese works, although I wouldn't use a full cup of, say, Parmesan.
Mix and match. Add herbs like thyme, dill, or fennel. It's all good.

Delicious!

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed May 18, 2011 7:10 am

Yeah, the problem with using American bacon is that it's sliced thin enough that it goes crispy really quick. If that happens, you might be better off using the ham instead.

The kitchenhands on the rig tend to make mini quiches once a week*. This proves that quiche is extremely manly. If it helps, just think of it as egg and bacon pie.

*I think they use shortcrust pastry instead of pie crust too. THAT COULD BE THE SAME THING THOUGH SO I DON'T KNOW.
i before e except after a few beers

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 am

I've always loved warm quiche and beans as a quick tea in the middle of winter.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 am

Made this the other night:

Sweet potato, butternut squash, and apple soup with a little nutmeg and cayenne. Sooooo good.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm

pablo banquo wrote:Yeah, the problem with using American bacon is that it's sliced thin enough that it goes crispy really quick. If that happens, you might be better off using the ham instead.

The kitchenhands on the rig tend to make mini quiches once a week*. This proves that quiche is extremely manly. If it helps, just think of it as egg and bacon pie.

*I think they use shortcrust pastry instead of pie crust too. THAT COULD BE THE SAME THING THOUGH SO I DON'T KNOW.

What bacon are your American friends using? Although, now that I think of it, I think we were using thick cut bacon. I've never had a problem controlling the crispiness of bacon, though.
And yeah, shortcrust pastry is essentially pie crust. Flour to fat, roughly 2:1 ratio.

Yeah, Sporky. I had made 12 bean soup the other night and had some individual servings frozen. Because I did not have any sort of greens (lettuces, frisees, spinach) which is what I usually eat with a slice of quiche, I reheated a serving of bean soup and that was my dinner.

TMCM, I thought that was beef stew at first and was a little put-off. Now that I know why it is that color, that looks really good. You have a recipe?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I do have a recipe!

1 medium onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2-3 medium apples, cored and diced (I used Fuji)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a soup pot, saute the onions in the oil until translucent. Add everything else and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for half an hour. Take 2 ladles worth of stock and one ladle worth of vegetables, and blend them in a food processor until smooth (adjust for however thick / thin / chunky you want the soup to be) and return them to the pot. Stir together and it's ready to go.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm

In this part of America, you can find thin and thick cut bacon in equal abundance. I hadn't realized that it was an issue elsewhere, but when I think about the cheese or beer or steak situation just a scant few hours drive from here, I'm not all that surprised.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed May 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Cheese/beer/steak situation?
i before e except after a few beers

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:I do have a recipe!

Oh good, completely vegan even. How nice. I'm going to have to try this on steak night. I don't eat steaks, so I generally just eat leftovers. This sounds good, though.

I wonder how well a tart apple would work in there. I bet pretty well.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 am

pablo banquo wrote:Cheese/beer/steak situation?

Yeah, go to Ohio. Try to get decent cheese, a decent steak, or a decent beer. It's not happening. Even national steak chains seem to have shitty steaks in Ohio.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”