A challenge, and some help for me

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

A challenge, and some help for me

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:30 am

Here's the deal. I pulled a couple of books from a fantasy/sci-fi series out of the library a few years ago; and now, wanting to read them again, I cannot remember the name of the author or the titles of the books; this is where you come in.

The basic premise of the books was that a Company in the future had developed a way to travel through time, but they could only go back in time, not forwards. So, in order to capitalize on this, the company would snatch forgotten children (they were in jail, soon to die anyway, etc.) from various points in time, speed up their aging until they reached young adulthood and genetically alter them to be both extremely intelligent and essentially immortal. They would then send these people back in time to recover priceless artifacts, works of art, etc. that would have otherwise been destroyed, and 'sit on them', until such time as they could be given to the Company.

Please tell me this sounds familiar to someone.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Space Monkey
Citadel Vet

Postby Space Monkey » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:37 am

Doesn't sound familiar, but it sounds pretty damn cool.
straight to video

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:02 pm

This is not a physics problem and as such you shall receive no help from me.

Eldoran
Sociable Minister

Postby Eldoran » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:17 pm

Could it be....... Kage Baker?
Yes! Ah, Yes is a word with a glorious ring! A true universal utopious thing! Engenders embracing and chasing of blues! The very best word for the whole world to use!
-- Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D.

Boondock Saint
Mad Zealot

Postby Boondock Saint » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:55 pm

hurry up and figure it out. I want to read it.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:48 pm

I don't know, but it reminded me of the movie Freejack.

Also, how would the dudes that go back and snatch the kids take them back to their own time to genetically alter them? Or would they have to do it in the child's time, and sacrifice themselves? Or maybe they'd be immortals too?

Surly
Apprentice

Postby Surly » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:32 pm

or, better yet, just use one kid.
am I this vile american beast?

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:42 pm

Thorn wrote:Also, how would the dudes that go back and snatch the kids take them back to their own time to genetically alter them? Or would they have to do it in the child's time, and sacrifice themselves? Or maybe they'd be immortals too?

I'd guess that the agents doing to rescuing/mutating of the kids could then "jump" back to their own time rather than be stranded in the past. The kid would then find the treasure and hold on to it.

Eldoran
Sociable Minister

Postby Eldoran » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:28 am

Boondock Saint wrote:hurry up and figure it out. I want to read it.

Am I invisible?
Yes! Ah, Yes is a word with a glorious ring! A true universal utopious thing! Engenders embracing and chasing of blues! The very best word for the whole world to use!

-- Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D.

Boondock Saint
Mad Zealot

Postby Boondock Saint » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:15 am

well i didnt know if that was correct or not yet.

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:11 am

Thorn wrote:I don't know, but it reminded me of the movie Freejack.

I was reminded of Freejack not at all. In fact, one might say I was anti-reminded of Freejack. Also, I think I liked Freejack.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:42 am

Did you know Dick was broke when he died?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.
-Bunyip, a man for all seasonings.

Thorn
let's hit the women

Postby Thorn » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:26 am

Lobstrosity wrote:I was reminded of Freejack not at all. In fact, one might say I was anti-reminded of Freejack. Also, I think I liked Freejack.

It was the whole part about pulling doomed people, about to die and such. Since, you know, that was the premise of Freejack.

Kolchak
Apprentice

Postby Kolchak » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:47 am

I'm just surprised there's an active Science Fiction thread without Dynagrip in it.

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:50 am

edited due to stupidty.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:33 pm

Eldoran wrote:Could it be....... Kage Baker?

It could be... A trip to the library Monday, hopefully, and I'll let you know if that's the case.

Thorn wrote:Also, how would the dudes that go back and snatch the kids take them back to their own time to genetically alter them? Or would they have to do it in the child's time, and sacrifice themselves? Or maybe they'd be immortals too?

I believe they had hidden waystations constructed both for that purpose, and to give these immortals somewhere to relax and 'be themselves'. I realize this description is damned sketchy, but like I said, I'll check it out when I have a chance to get to the library. I'm pretty sure that Eldoran is right with his guess... I suppose instead of waiting for Monday, I could just go check on Amazon, but that wouldn't really allow me to fill in too much detail.

Yah, Eldoran was right; thanks, man! The first two books in the series are called In The Garden Of Iden and Sky Coyote, and you can check out descriptions of them on Amazon.

You can probably still find it at the library, if you don't want to get a used copy from them.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

Kolchak wrote:I'm just surprised there's an active Science Fiction thread without Dynagrip in it.

I loathe time travel for the most part.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:26 pm

What about Dick?
Actually, I'd think it was really cool if I saw Jesus in my icecream too. A tyrannosaur in an F14 would be even cooler.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:54 pm

Dick sucks.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:21 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Dick sucks.

Ass. I love Dick.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”