Comics

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:29 am

Man you need to read more Maxx then, it would make perfect sense.

"I didn't come out here so you two could act like a couple of poster boys for orthadontic mishap!"
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Dynagrip wrote:Volume 1 of Astro City came in today. Hope I like it. It's been talked up a fair amount over at Penny Arcade but we'll see.

Last weekend I bought like 4 comics, the boys, future foundation, metalocalypse, and booster gold. booster gold was the only semi-decent one.

Never read Metalocalpyse, but I've been really digging Hickman's FF run (assuming that's the Future Foundation you're talking about). The Boys I used to like a lot, these days, not so much

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:07 pm

To be fair, not sure Jack had anything to do with that since Stan wrote all the dialogue.

Greg Horn though... yeah

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm

I just noticed that the Doc Scratch banner in this Homestuck interlude has been updating for the past few pages along with the comic itself.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sun May 29, 2011 10:46 pm

I did wonder about that.
i before e except after a few beers

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 am

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 am

I thought that one was cute, too.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 pm

So the DC Comics universe reset is one thing; beyond Batman and Batgirl, I've got no real investment in their superhero line, so whatever. Maybe it will actually get me to try some of the other titles.

What's kind of a bitch is the whole 'digital release the same day a physical copy of an issue hits the stores' thing, which is pretty much the equivalent of bending retailers over the table and fucking them in the ass minus the lube.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:What's kind of a bitch is the whole 'digital release the same day a physical copy of an issue hits the stores' thing, which is pretty much the equivalent of bending retailers over the table and fucking them in the ass minus the lube.

Got to do whatever's best for the industry as a whole, ignoring digital to prop up dying retailers isn't the way to do it.

Plus they're doing everything they can to help out the retailers, making the books returnable, giving them lots of notice to plan out sales and whatnot.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 am

Retailers are what keep an increasingly niche business going, though. I think fanbases are built and thrive around that store experience to a degree I don't think the publishers understand, and digital seems like a try at grabbing a market that isn't there more in an attempt to break out of their 2nd place position than anything else. Driving retailers into the ground all that much more quickly is not going to help the market. As a longtime reader, I appreciate my physical copies. Being able to pick up and read them whenever I feel like. It's somewhat the same rationale that has me still shying away from e-books, to an extent.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Retailers are what keep an increasingly niche business going, though. I think fanbases are built and thrive around that store experience to a degree I don't think the publishers understand, and digital seems like a try at grabbing a market that isn't there more in an attempt to break out of their 2nd place position than anything else. Driving retailers into the ground all that much more quickly is not going to help the market. As a longtime reader, I appreciate my physical copies. Being able to pick up and read them whenever I feel like. It's somewhat the same rationale that has me still shying away from e-books, to an extent.

That's one of the reasons they're charging the same for digital as print.

The problem is, the number of fans going to those comic shops is plummeting, if they stick with comic shops it's going to keep happening until things are unsustainable. Every month there are fewer and fewer long term readers, it's time to get some new people.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Gobo wrote:That's one of the reasons they're charging the same for digital as print.

This, I did not know. Interesting.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
Gobo wrote:That's one of the reasons they're charging the same for digital as print.

This, I did not know. Interesting.

Yeah, they've really done everything they can to pacify the existing retailers, but SOMEONE had to try a real run at digital, might as well be DC. They're also, at least between them and Marvel, historically the much more retailer friendly company. Stuff like 52, Wednesday Comics, delaying trade releases are all geared to get people to buy monthly issues at the comic shop.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 am

I think we are almost through the preamble over at Dresdan Codak! We might get to a story by the end of next year!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:50 am

OMGBEES wrote:I think we are almost through the preamble over at Dresdan Codak! We might get to a story by the end of next year!

I like that guy!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 am

I like that guy too but he seriously puts out 3-4 comics a YEAR. WTF. In practice it means his stories movie as slowly as Megatokyo!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 am

Well, I meant Mathias Melchior, but you are right. :)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 am

Oh! Who is Matthias Melchior?

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”