Comics

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Gobo
drum commie

Comics

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:38 pm

If Sandman is going to stay just Sandman... then we should have a thread for everything else... like someone (Eolh?) said...

So... Astonishing X-Men #3... Whedon continues to impress...

Excalibur #3... starting to like this book less... it might've just been this issue... but something just felt missing I think.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:17 pm

Yeah Astonishing #3 was great fun, I continue to love Emma and Kitty's wordplay. In fact I love Emma as character unconditionally at this point. The way Whedon writes her, she is pretty much the catalyst for all the interesting emotional and interpersonal issues. The pacing for this book feels just perfect, and the art continues to be excellent despite claims that Cassaday doesn't work well on a deadline. How Whedon makes both Scott and Logan interesting characters is pretty impressive too, considering Logan hasn't been interesting in years and it's debatable whether or not Cyclops ever has. Joss Whedon is a mirabilary.

Spoilers ahead:

[spoiler]I really like the twist at the end. I DO NOT, however, think Whedon is going to be bringing Jean back. When there's a singular person who's death affects everyone, he'd rather leave them dead than not. I think it will be used to strain Scott and Emma's relationship, but I hope those two wacky kids stay together.[/spoiler] Scott and Emma are far more interesting than Scott and Jean ever were.

I liked Excalibur #3 well enough, I guess, but yeah...this issue definately was missing something. I read Excalibur because I want to read Magneto and Xavier talking, not some Genosha mutant rejects pulling a super-dumb heist. It's still better than Adjectiveless X-Men and Uncanny X-Men though.

Picked up Rogue #1. It's okay. I've never really been a big Rogue fan, but she definately works better as a solo character...or maybe that's just because it seems Austin can't write a team book worth shit. I'll probably continue to see where this one goes.

Do you like comics? Do yourselves a favor and pick up the last two Amazing Spider-man books (509 and 510). I haven't read a 616 Spider-man book since I was like 12, but this current arc in Amazing...is pretty amazing.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:34 pm

Eolh wrote:Spoilers ahead:

[spoiler]I really like the twist at the end. I DO NOT, however, think Whedon is going to be bringing Jean back. When there's a singular person who's death affects everyone, he'd rather leave them dead than not.[/spoiler]

Yeah, because Joss Whedon never brings main characters back from the dead.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:36 pm

I think you misunderstood my point. It's not that he doesn't bring people back, it's that there's a certain type of person he'd rather leave dead. [spoiler]Jean was that type of person.[/spoiler]

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:37 pm

The sucky kind of person? I agree. Leave em dead.

But seriously, I think he should have left Buffy dead at the end of season five.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:42 pm

I didn't think Joyce, Jonathan, Fred, or Wesley sucked. And not to turn the Comic book thread into a Buffy discussion for some reason, but I thought that Seasons 6 and 7 were good enough to justify bringing her back, at least in theory. They lacked something in execution, but there are some stories in those two season that I would be even more pissed off to not have seen.
Last edited by Eolh on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:42 pm

I was tempted to pick up Rogue... flipped through it and decided to pass... I am right now grabbing as many issues in the Ultimate line as I can... I might start reading that entire line.

(or at least the good stuff)

Excalibur is better than the other two team books, that's for sure... I've always liked Jean... and I like her more after reading through all these issues of Uncanny and now starting to read through X-Factor...

Whedon does write a good Emma, I've got to hand him that... Wolverine is good too... Kitty is EXCELLENT...

I'm really excited to see where Astonishing goes...

Spoiler:
[spoiler]If Jean comes back... it will be far too much like when she came back at the beginning of X-Factor... she was freaking out about Magneto being a good guy, Scott was married to Maddie... it's too similar for it to be particularly interesting.[/spoiler]

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:47 pm

Obviously the Scott/Jean relationship had more time to sink and come to fruition, and [spoiler]ir[/spoiler]regardless of your like for Jean (or dislike for Emma), do you find the Scott/Jean relationship to be more interesting than the Scott/Emma one?
Last edited by Eolh on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm

In terms of drama? No... in terms of my cheesy romantic side? Yes.

Bear in mind I haven't read the New X-Men/Adjectiveless X-Men back issues by Morrison so I didn't see all their marriage troubles.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:53 pm

Irregardless, huh

All right.

Foo-Byte
I am Finbarr Saunders

Postby Foo-Byte » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:56 pm

Don't think I didn't notice that little edit...

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 pm

Well there's nothing really romantic about Scott and Emma. That's not the angle that relationship was played at. Plus I don't think I could see Emma doing romantic.

Foo-Byte wrote:Don't think I didn't notice that little edit...

i am clevar!

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:12 pm

No shit eolh :) I know they aren't romantic... but that was definitely a nice bonus (for me) about Scott/Jean...

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:13 pm

Which Ultimate books have you been reading?

EDIT: Also, I've read that Weapon X will probably be cancelled soon. Probably at #28.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:21 pm

None yet... I'm downloading Ultimates, X-men, Spiderman and FF...

I'll try em out and keep buying the ones I like.

Edit: No big loss... as long as they finish the current arc with Sinister

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:08 pm

Maybe you've seen this before, but I haven't. I find it amusing, even if it is a sprite-based comic. Jokes require knowledge of X-men storylines.

Uncanny X-Sprites

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:16 pm

That's pretty cool... I wonder where he got the sprites from... or if he's making them...

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:42 pm

I was looking at that sprite comic, and the description of Emma Frost says she can turn her skin into organic diamond. Wtf

Addendum: and Iceman's says he has control over organic ice...

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:46 pm

Getting hit with Bobby Drake's ice attack gives you one hell of a secondary infection.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:I was looking at that sprite comic, and the description of Emma Frost says she can turn her skin into organic diamond. Wtf

Yeah...part of Grant Morrison's run. [spoiler]It was a secondary mutation (which has been going around) that developed in response to the attack on Genosha. It was how she survived[/spoiler]. When she's in "diamond mode" she can't use her telepathic abilities.

Addendum: and Iceman's says he has control over organic ice...
I have no idea what that means. Iceman sucks.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”