Bunyip presents: Weekend Review! v2

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:30 am

I sent plut a message about Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead and this was her reply.
If that is not on Netflix, you are dead to me. I need to watch that movie. Like right now. In the middle of this message.

Oh my God, it IS on Netflix. I may continue loving you. I know what I am watching this weekend. It looks magical.

FYI, it's by the same director as Machine Girl. DRILL BRA!

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:29 am

Stupid Netflix Canada

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:24 pm

It's on Amazon streaming here in the UK.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Gobo wrote:Stupid Netflix Canada

There are ways to access Netflix permissions for different countries, it involves a little bit of rigamarole though. And you can do it with your own account. I went on Netflix UK for a bit because the UK got the last half of the final season of Breaking Bad WAY before we did.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 am

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I finally finished that! Wow, that was a crazy ending.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:45 am

Even though it was a bit too perfect given that show's record of showing the really ultimate consequences of someone's actions, I don't think I would have had it end any other way. I fully want to believe _______ got away at the end there, and got a better life.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
Gobo wrote:Stupid Netflix Canada

There are ways to access Netflix permissions for different countries, it involves a little bit of rigamarole though. And you can do it with your own account. I went on Netflix UK for a bit because the UK got the last half of the final season of Breaking Bad WAY before we did.

Oh I know, I just can't be bothered, most things eventually show up and there's plenty of other stuff I've got that I haven't watched yet

Also, no there's Amazon streaming in Canada of any kind yet.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:52 am

Checking out the premiere episode of Jericho. It is pretty damn watchable so far. Shame it only got a season and a half if it keeps this up.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:30 am

So...does John die at the end?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:56 am

Quite a bit before the end, actually.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm

But not really. He is back like 30 seconds later.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Even though it was a bit too perfect given that show's record of showing the really ultimate consequences of someone's actions, I don't think I would have had it end any other way. I fully want to believe _______ got away at the end there, and got a better life.

I thought the perfection was an imperfection and was therefor perfection.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Checking out the premiere episode of Jericho. It is pretty damn watchable so far. Shame it only got a season and a half if it keeps this up.

I liked that Premiere but get somnambulent like three episodes in.

It's kind of like Halt and Catch Fire actually. Cool premise! Yeah we got 'em hooked! Okay, now how to we make them pay off? Uh I guess write a soap opera?

Jericho was definitely more Touched by an Angel. H&CF has been more Young and the Restless, or maybe Angrybeard, Fuckup and Promiscuous.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

It should probably also be noted that the computer history in H&CF is great big jiggly balls.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 pm

In retrospect it probably wasn't great to derail that to bitch about H&CF. They are pretty different. Jericho wants to have teeth, but somewhere around four or five episodes in it feels like it's pretty toothless and harmless, not to mention not super challenging.

H&CF is totally different. It's a concept that I would love to see done well, and I mean REALLY love in a "you complete me" kinda way, done just about as badly as it could be done.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 am

So here's the important question: Do you actually *like* H&CF or not? I honestly can't tell, lol. Is it a good thing to waste an hour with?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 am

No. I really want to like it, and I think it's basically just awful. The characters started out two-dimensional, and they're slooooowly drifting towards one-dimensional. Like, Cameron is supposed to be this computer genius undergrad wunderkid punk girl, but they don't know how to convey technical info without losing the audience. So they have a couple of characters shout at eachother about how there's a problem, and then Cameron makes a "GRRRRR" face and puts her hands on her temples while playing punk rock really loud, and then she fucks her boss. And then the characters from before say oh hey the problem is solved but ooh that Cameron is such a rogue.

Over and over again, it's really sloppy writing. When you also include the fact that it's sloppy research there's really not much to like.

Except Scoot McNairy, and the lady who plays his wife. They are both good actors trying to make the best of really shitty formulaic parts.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:25 am

Here's a controversial opinion: I kind of liked the Hitchhiker's Guide movie!

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:52 am

It gets better with repeat viewing, that's for sure.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am

OMGBEES wrote:Here's a controversial opinion: I kind of liked the Hitchhiker's Guide movie!

Not with me, I always kind of dug it.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”