Bunyip presents: Weekend Review! v2

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 pm

dogmeat wrote:Except Garrison Keillor anyway, he's awesome.

Not for me. Keillor / Prairie Home Companion make me kinda wanna vomit puppies and Norman Rockwell paintings. My girlfriend and her parents love it, however, so if I happen to be in the car with them and it's on... I used to like rhubarb pie, too.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon May 26, 2014 11:09 am

OMGBEES wrote:
pablo banquo wrote:Yeah, there were some interesting bits but it doesn't really stand out to me as a great movie. Much like Donnie Darko.

I figured out what it was. It's that no matter how fucked up and "off the beaten path" these people get, they're all still friends, their family still loves them. The movie has no really pleasant people, because it's supposed to be "honest" and show these people as they are, but despite the fact that all these people are supposed to be rejecting the standard social experience, those standard social bonds never break down. Can you imagine your parents letting you detox from smack in your old bedroom? Who does that? (Not to mention the sheets being pristine still even days in.)

It kind of falls into that "urban decay" and "myth of urban bohemia" category, where it sublimates unpleasant things as somehow more "real" and "honest", mostly by pruning out the worst of the experience. (Ever have a real junkie friend? They steal everything that's not nailed down to sell it for whatever it is they need.) It's too honest to give us people we can like, but not honest enough to show how people really are. This is why I love Breaking Bad so much; as soon as one thing goes wrong in that show, everyone turns on eachother like rabid wolves. Because the truth is, there is no intrinsic, a priori value to sociality; we're just wired that way to try and get things.

Was running backwards through this thread for the hell of it, and came across this. Occurred to me that this pretty much describes RENT in its entirety.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Aw, thanks!

I still struggle with musical theater friends a lot. They want to share their passion for me, even though I have made it pretty clear over the years that really musicals are just not my thing. I don't generally appreciated the song style, and let's all be perfectly honest - even some of the best-respected musicals out there have pretty shaky stories. If you're not coming for the music, then... well, basically stay home.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 am

I have the exact same problem. All my friends were Les Miserablés, woo! And I was all meh.

The only musicals I like are Avenue Q and The Producers. Everything else leaves me generally cold.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue May 27, 2014 11:57 am

I like musicals, but I think (or at least I hope) that I've never been 'that' person who tried to convince someone else why they should love them too.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu May 29, 2014 4:36 am

dogmeat wrote:I have the exact same problem. All my friends were Les Miserablés, woo! And I was all meh.

The only musicals I like are Avenue Q and The Producers. Everything else leaves me generally cold.

That Les Mis movie was terrible, I'm still sort of interested in seeing it as a play though.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu May 29, 2014 5:58 am

Yeah, it's better as a play, or even just as a soundtrack.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Orange is the New Black season two came out on Friday, and the show is still good.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:06 pm

I still have to get through season 1. Not that I don't want to, just that time is at a premium these days and we keep getting distracted by other shows. Doesn't help that a friend has been sticking Thrones episodes up on Plex shortly after they air...

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 pm

No comment... just, ah... no comment. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SpybH3v1U

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 am

Bag of Ass wrote:Orange is the New Black season two came out on Friday, and the show is still good.

I love Suzanne, moreso now that I hate her.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 am

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:This is pretty incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10104536562933435

The last time I was at the botanical garden someone was trying to film one of these. I kept watching her, and I think she hated that.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 am

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:No comment... just, ah... no comment. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9SpybH3v1U

That is pretty cute.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Well, World War Z was not a CLEVER movie, but it was less bad than everyone made me think it was going to be.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:57 am

It was only bad because it had the name of a good book that it had nothing to do with.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:15 pm

YEESSSSSSSS. Never read the book, dodged a bullet!

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 am

Now you should go back and read it so you can hate the movie in retrospect.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 am

It wasn't a completely terrible movie, no. I was kind of icked out that the whole Israel bit kind of played out like "Oh look, the Palestinians fucked everything up. *wink wink nudge nudge* ", though.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:17 pm

I just finished reading Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys. Really enjoyed it. Is the film adaptation worth seeing?

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”