Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:19 pm

pablo banquo wrote:I was stuck on the oil rig for weeks with only 1 tv channel, which was someone's downloaded movies. Came away from the experience with a deep hatred for 2012 (the movie) and some surprisingly good, lesser known movies that you guys probably wouldn't have seen.

So what, you couldn't get behind the idea of a plane escaping down a collapsing runway three times in the same film? An aircraft carrier just happening to land right on the White House

No, you're right, that movie was eye-bleedingly terrible. And I wanted to like it so badly because A), John Cusack, and B), I'm a big disaster movie nut.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:19 am

. wrote:My sister and I watched the first two seasons of Tru Blood regularly, I lost interest quickly but kept watching anyway. I could not make myself watch anything past that. My sister and brother-in-law absolutely love the show, though.
Even the books are awful. Absolutely beach reading. The funny thing is, the books are almost teen reading, then they made the show raunchy. It was a little startling, at first.

Most of the characters annoy me (including Kwanten's most of the time) and they killed off the one I could tolerate. If they would kill off Tara, Sookie, and Bill; I would probably watch it again.

I watched two episodes of True Blood, realized that I hated all the god damn characters and that the plot was firmly targetted at 16-year-old girls, and have pretty much left it alone since.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 am

Yeah, you caught on much faster than I did, I guess. Although, how can you hate Pam? Then again, they may have not gotten to Pam yet, at that point.
Anyway yeah, TruBlood is definitely aimed at teenagers, even with all the violence and sex.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:29 am

I looked up a picture of Pam, and she definitely doesn't look familiar. If I saw her, it was for seconds.

The thing that's weird about True Blood is that it was specifically recommended to me by someone who has been almost 100% on her recommendations for me across all types of media. I don't know why she thought I would like it, possibly the violent sex?

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 am

Why the heck do I keep calling it Tru Blood/TruBlood? Where did I even get that? I think I might be mixing Tru Calling or something in there.

Anyway, I didn't like the books and I let me sister convince me to watch the show. But really, I could not take any more than I did.
Pam cracked me up most of the time, but even she got sappy in the bits I saw of Season Three, which ruined her for me. So, I am glad I did not watch her downfall.

The sex scenes didn't do much for me, though they never do anyway so that may not be saying anything about the quality.
I think I was drawn to it because it looked like it may be dark and gritty, but it was just a wreck.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 am

. wrote:Why the heck do I keep calling it Tru Blood/TruBlood? Where did I even get that? I think I might be mixing Tru Calling or something in there.

'Tru Blood' is the name of the blood substitute drink developed for vampires in the series.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:13 am

. wrote:Why the heck do I keep calling it Tru Blood/TruBlood? Where did I even get that? I think I might be mixing Tru Calling or something in there.

Anyway, I didn't like the books and I let me sister convince me to watch the show. But really, I could not take any more than I did.
Pam cracked me up most of the time, but even she got sappy in the bits I saw of Season Three, which ruined her for me. So, I am glad I did not watch her downfall.

The sex scenes didn't do much for me, though they never do anyway so that may not be saying anything about the quality.
I think I was drawn to it because it looked like it may be dark and gritty, but it was just a wreck.

The sex scenes did nothing for me, such as they were. On a friends insistence, I skipped through a couple of other episodes to scenes she specifically recommended and still thought it was pretty blah. The bit in the beginning where the guy accidentally chokes the chick to death while they're having sex was so fundamentally stupid that it kind of enraged me. I still have to wonder if that's why she did it: I'm open about the fact that all my previous girlfriends have wanted me to choke them.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 pm

True Blood for me is just another one of those shows that is just interesting enough to netflix the discs for. I agree that a lot of the characters are annoying, but some of them make up for them. It's a shame Sookie is the main character because that means she probably won't get killed. Lafayette is cool though.

I have seen the first two seasons and didn't know who Pam was until I looked her up a minute ago. She is Eric's assistant, right? I guess she is cool, but I never really thought anything of her beyond "Eric's assistant."

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:True Blood for me is just another one of those shows that is just interesting enough to netflix the discs for. I agree that a lot of the characters are annoying, but some of them make up for them. It's a shame Sookie is the main character because that means she probably won't get killed. Lafayette is cool though.

I have seen the first two seasons and didn't know who Pam was until I looked her up a minute ago. She is Eric's assistant, right? I guess she is cool, but I never really thought anything of her beyond "Eric's assistant."

I hate (detest, despise) Tara, Sookie, and Bill. I did like Eric, though he went off in a direction I didn't care for and I like Pam. Sam was alright, sometimes. I liked Lafayette.
There was a certain someone I wished would die every single second of screen time he had, and well..

And yeah, Pam is Eric's assistant. Technically, Eric turned Pam.

And thank you TMCM, I knew I had to have gotten it from somewhere.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:05 pm

The best part about True Blood is the opening credits / theme song.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Yet, the rest of the songs from that band are awful.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:The best part about True Blood is the opening credits / theme song.

The best part of True Blood is when the guy who runs karaoke at the Come Back Inn sings the opening credits theme song.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:30 am

Bag of Ass wrote:The best part about True Blood is the opening credits / theme song.

I play that when I take chicks back to my place on the second date.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”