Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm

I agree that Netflix did themselves well by getting out ahead of this game. I think they're poised to stay ahead of things too. It's not just a quirky value add to dvd delivery anymore - I'm sure I watch fully half of my content via netflix streaming now. If they switch to a totally streaming service somewhere down the line, assuming quality good enough, i'd pay the same i do now and thank them for it.

As far as competition to netflix streaming, I can only really think of hulu. There's some crossover between netflix and hulu but I default to netflix. hulu's byzantine rules for what they will and will not stream are too hard to understand or maintain. for example netflix has seasons 1-5 of the office, but understandably not the latest/current season. Hulu has - i'm not sure - the latest 6 episodes of the current season? but not the very latest episode until at least a week after air date? sillyness.

add to that the convenience of netflix's search and recommendations based on ratings, and their streaming ready consoles and other media devices. (my new netflix streaming bluray is awesome!). other streaming services just seem to be slightly more mature you-tubes

Torrenting is not going to cut into this - torrents are their own set of headaches. I mean there's the spector of becomine the RIAA/MPAA latest witchhunt. The fact that most torrent sites demand upload numbers to keep downloading, that you never know what you're really going to get, or if it's clean. I've never found the scene to be worth it.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 04, 2010 6:23 pm

I still torrent an awful lot.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue May 04, 2010 7:34 pm

a witch! burn her!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue May 04, 2010 7:52 pm

The vast majority of my tv watching is done from netflix watch instantly, to the point where I still have dvds sitting around after a month of watching them. I also have a HTPC set up so I can occasionally snag some episodes of the Fringe, Lost, and Burn Notice.

Oddly, I only really look outside those (read newsgroup) when I want to watch something in 720-1080p I don't have a blue ray player yet, as I see them as still not entirely worth it.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 04, 2010 9:15 pm

You have an Hard Tuned Personal Computer?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue May 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Hand Turned Polonium Calculator.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Oh man, the craftsmanship must be exquisite. Is it Amish?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

By the proudest Amish children.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 am

OMGBEES wrote:I still have like 400 movies in my queue that are not streaming. The streaming service is fine, but it's not a really great reason to get Netflix.

Depends on what you're looking to watch, I suppose. I've got more stuff sitting in my instant queue than I know what to do with. Not that I don't have some disc-based stuff, obviously, it just seems like this is what Netflix is trending towards. They save quite a bit of money on the cost of streaming content over shipping it out.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 am

I bet being able to stream movies from netflix and hulu is AWESOME.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 am

pablo banquo wrote:I bet being able to stream movies from netflix and hulu is AWESOME.

It is pretty awesome but it's nowhere near as cool as everything coming out first! Also the river of chocolate you get just for being American. No wonder we're all so fat!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 05, 2010 8:16 am

I have two words for you, sir: Neener. Neener.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14 am

pablo banquo wrote:I bet being able to stream movies from netflix and hulu is AWESOME.

Quite. We don't have anything that parallels it in the UK either.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

its like you guys are still living in the dark ages.

somewhere in NY there's a japanese tourist looking distainfully at a hotel toilet thinking the exact same thing.

Jason Mustian

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Somewhere in Australia, there's an American tourist looking frantically for the toilet seat covers.

(hint: there aren't any)

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Ew! But how are you supposed to hide floaters??

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 pm

is it because the coreolis effect makes the water swirl in a heretical way? or do your women just enjoy sitting in their SO's pee?

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 05, 2010 6:11 pm

pablo banquo wrote:Somewhere in Australia, there's an American tourist looking frantically for the toilet seat covers.

(hint: there aren't any)

As in, toilet seat lids? That's freaking awesome! I might not have had to live in that shitty hotel if America didn't have them.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu May 06, 2010 1:16 am

We have lids... just not the paper covers that you see in every public restroom in the US.

Also Bob, there is no swirling. Our toilet water goes straight down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJn4AU_QHJM .

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu May 06, 2010 6:42 am

pablo banquo wrote:We have lids... just not the paper covers that you see in every public restroom in the US.

Also Bob, there is no swirling. Our toilet water goes straight down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJn4AU_QHJM .

Wait, people use those?

Also, at the end you could see it swirling the other way. :D

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”