Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Machete comes in the mail today. Looking forward to it, but the wife and baby probably won't be into it.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 am

I need to import that I think. Sony Pictures pretty much buried it in the UK, was shown at something stupid like two cinemas nationwide.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Hey look, Lindsay Lohan's boobies.

Whether this comment is related or unrelated is an exercise for you, gentle reader, but I rated the movie 3/5 stars.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am

We watched a movie called Sweet Land on Netflix streaming, and it was unbelievably sweet and I cried.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm

+ 2 q

(add to queue)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:55 pm

2L2Q.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:15 am

Bag of Ass wrote:Hey look, Lindsay Lohan's boobies.

Those were stunt boobs.

I need to finish up Jam & Jerusalem so I can get Machete, I think it's next in my list. I put Netflix down to one at a time and I still seem to be keeping them forever.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Man, stunt boobies are the devil's work.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I was stuck on the oil rig for weeks with only 1 tv channel, which was someone's downloaded movies. Came away from the experience with a deep hatred for 2012 (the movie) and some surprisingly good, lesser known movies that you guys probably wouldn't have seen.

Boy - A sad/delightful movie about a kid growing up with his siblings in rural New Zealand. His dad returns to look after them but he's never really grown up.

Chaos Theory - A movie that shows Ryan Reynolds can do more than just cheesy comedies.

Animal Kingdom - Gritty movie about some of the characters in the Australian criminal underworld. Jacki Weaver is up for an Oscar for her performance as the family matriarch.
i before e except after a few beers

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 am

i watched all of spartacus: blood and sand on netflix instant over the past week. i really enjoyed it. sucks that the main actor got cancer and they've had to recast for the second season.

curse you, cancer!

i'm kind of on a violent roman type kick now i think. i want to watch Centurion and get the second season of Rome.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 am

The second season so far is a prequel, and from what I understand, if the main character goes into remission, they'll probably pick back up from where the first season ended.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:05 pm

I watched that when it came out. At first I was kind of put off by the graphic nature of it, and my wife never did get over it so she stopped watching. I did get over it though, and it turned out to be a really good show. A lot of deception and intrigue. Crixus is a badass. Now that there's a baby in the house, I haven't found the time or opportunity to watch the new season yet.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Centurion was a decent movie, pretty similar to King Arthur, which came out a few years back.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:26 pm

OMGBEES wrote:We watched a movie called Sweet Land on Netflix streaming, and it was unbelievably sweet and I cried.

We watched this over the last two nights. It was sweet but I didn't cry because I am not a pussy.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:
OMGBEES wrote:We watched a movie called Sweet Land on Netflix streaming, and it was unbelievably sweet and I cried.

We watched this over the last two nights. It was sweet but I didn't cry because I am not a pussy.

Not being able to cry at sad movies is a sign of overcompensation! Happy birthday, you're a pussy. Also, disingenuous!

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

But it wasn't sad, it was optimistic. I think the last movie I did cry at was It's a Wonderful Life. Incidentally, there was a scene in Sweet Land that is reminiscent of that movie, and it wasn't as...sweet.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I honestly can't stand It's a Wonderful Life. I think it's mawkish.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 am

OMGBEES wrote:Not being able to cry at sad movies is a sign of overcompensation! Happy birthday, you're a pussy. Also, disingenuous!

I generally don't cry at sad movies, but that's usually because a.) I can't identify with anyone in them, which leads to b.) not being able to feel anything, which in turn leads to c.) not giving a damn about any of the characters' well being.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Red Hill. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1530983/

Young police officer moves to a small country town with his wife to get away from the stress of the big city. After a report that a former resident and murderer escapes from prison, the police and locals prepare for his arrival.

I hadn't seen any of Tru Blood myself so Kwanten was mostly unknown to me. He does a great job as the new kid in town trying to make heads or tails of the situation. Steve Bisley (Goose from Mad Max 1) is a true force as the cantankerous old cop who is responsible for taking down the escaped prisoner.
Speaking of, the villain in this movie really is quite scary.

I personally thought it worked pretty well as a Western/Horror movie set in the high country of Victoria. I think I preferred the extended ending on the DVD to the one from the cinema release just because it gives more closure.
I also realise that the panthers roaming the outback have been a folk tale for a long time, perhaps true too. I don't think it really needed to make an appearance here, though it is more of a cameo if anything.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 pm

My sister and I watched the first two seasons of Tru Blood regularly, I lost interest quickly but kept watching anyway. I could not make myself watch anything past that. My sister and brother-in-law absolutely love the show, though.
Even the books are awful. Absolutely beach reading. The funny thing is, the books are almost teen reading, then they made the show raunchy. It was a little startling, at first.

Most of the characters annoy me (including Kwanten's most of the time) and they killed off the one I could tolerate. If they would kill off Tara, Sookie, and Bill; I would probably watch it again.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”