Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Eolh
Serious Business

Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Postby Eolh » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 pm

This is the thread for us CoT people on each others' friends list to question the ratings we've given to movies.

Basically the entire point of me creating this thread is that I'm horrified by the fact that Bag gave The Goonies two stars.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:49 pm

I just remember falling asleep in the theater when I was like 5. A three-star movie does not do that. Not even when you are 5.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on Boogie Nights. I pretty much couldn't stand it, and you rated it a 5.

Addendum: Ditto on Magnolia, which could not be over faster, though I changed my mind in the last five minutes.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:25 am

Fuck you, Bag. Boogie Nights and Magnolia are good.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:33 am

Five year-olds fall asleep for no good reason at all. I saw a five year-old asleep at Freddy vs. Jason, and that one had boobs AND graphic violence! The movie did, not the five year-old.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:39 am

Hey! Dyna made a perfectly good Sightings! thread for this.

Just speaking of Netflix and not general disagreeance. Have any of you actually read any of the "Common Sense" ratings? They claim to be "non-partisan", but they aren't, at all. And does "brief lesbianism" really call for a red light? Come on.

I remember liking The Goonies when I was younger, but for some reason, I don't think I'd enjoy it now. Now The Monster Squad, however...
Weren't some of the same people in that as in The Goonies?

BoA, Bound? Any movie that features Jennifer Tilly quite that much (aside from Bride of Chucky) is just horrible. She would have ruined Tideland if she had been in it any longer.

I question every single one of you on your liking of The Big Lebowski. I never understood why it seemed to be such a favourite and I doubt I ever will.

Bobbo? You loved Pretty Woman?

Those were stunt boobs in Freddy Vs Jason.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:23 am

. wrote:BoA, Bound? Any movie that features Jennifer Tilly quite that much (aside from Bride of Chucky) is just horrible. She would have ruined Tideland if she had been in it any longer.

I don't recall liking nor disliking it, therefore it probably got the token 3.

As for the Big Lebowski, I haven't seen it but hear people make reference to it all the time. It's in my queue for this reason. I'll rate it once I watch it.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:12 am

I liked Wonderland better than Boogie Nights.

I've only seen bits and pieces of both, so I'm going to watch both back to back before making a final decision.

Can't comment on Magnolia, Still need to see it (tonight is filled with Dario Argento Movies)

I rated the Goonies 4 stars. It was one of those movies that, at a point in my life, I had hoped things like that really happened to people. Much like Aliens, and Dawn of the Dead.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:34 am

Bag you gave goonies a 2, didin't like Boogie Nights or Magnolia and yet you accuse ME of having bad taste?

Jeeez

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:39 am

Gobo wrote:Bag you gave goonies a 2, didin't like Boogie Nights or Magnolia and yet you accuse ME of having bad taste?

Jeeez

No joke. I'm shaking my head in disappointment here.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:03 am

I would probably give the Goonies a 2 as well. Magnolia, 3 or 4. I wonder if netflix has saved all my ratings from when I was a member?

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am

Goonies is ok for what it is. Magnolia and Boogie Nights are probably 4s in my book.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:54 am

Big Lebowski's good fun. A four would be about right. Same goes for Boogie Nights.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm

hobokenbob: a 5 for A.I.? Maybe if they ended the movie at the blue fairy scene, but not with the actual ending.

Also, hobokenbob rated Butterfly Effect a 5, just wanted to point that out.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Also, hobokenbob rated Butterfly Effect a 5, just wanted to point that out.

Did he rate Dude, Where's my Car? a 5 also? There might be an underlying theme here...

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Dude where's my car: Eolh 3, . 2, everyone else left it unrated. I haven't seen it and hope to keep it that way.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:23 pm

My girlfriend at the time talked me into watching Dude, Where's My Car? Don't let anyone do that to you, BoA!

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:hobokenbob: a 5 for A.I.? Maybe if they ended the movie at the blue fairy scene, but not with the actual ending.

Also, hobokenbob rated Butterfly Effect a 5, just wanted to point that out.

The Butterfly Effect surprised me as being great, but not a 5 great. I should amend that. I'd still say it's a 4.

A.I. s a terrific movie. I watched it with my mom and both of us were crying at the end..
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:11 pm

Someone explained the premise to Butterfly Effect to me, and I threw up a little in my mouth. Then again when they mentioned it had a sequal.

A.I. had about as much entertainment appeal as Don Imus talking about his kids' Ranch. I don't doubt you and your mom were crying at the end. As I understand it, Prisoners at Gitmo were doing the same.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:13 pm

As if it's not obvious, the sequel sucked.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”