Netflix: Tasteful Disagreement

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Rob
Oh yes.

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 am

I liked it - my other half Nic didn't.

I'd like to watch it again soon, as there were a fair few bits that I think I missed in my overall 'gee wow' during the film. Now I know what's going on, and what's about to happen (etc), I'd like to examine it a little more.

Nic preferred I Am Legend, and while I thought it was okay, it wasn't anywhere near as creepy as the Charlton Heston version.

I liked the noisy/high-ISO night-time shooting with the camera in Cloverfield, although they didn't always seem to keep it up and I started to think that it was a bit inconsistent. Does anyone know how they shot the film - was it filmed on a barrage of hand cams (unlikely) or was it filmed 'more properly' and then had various processing effects added to it later?

Anyway, for me, Cloverfield > I Am Legend.

Hopefully it's Sweeny Todd for us this weekend.
See"...Infrequent, sporadic, frustrating, occasionally going in the wrong direction..."
read the continuing adventures of the world's most useless boring bastard over at LJ - now somewhat less continued!

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm

It was supposedly filmed on handhelds. which is awesome.

I am Legend was horrible. I was quite excited about it. The Omega Man was a good film, but it had a terrible ending. I was hoping (perhaps naively) that given a chance to revisit this, they could have improved on it. I think they got the atmosphere right, even having taken out the speach from the Nightstalkers (or whatever they were called), but as you said... not as creepy. In all though, same as usual. Big budget, no effort. Same terrible ending as before which pretty much ruined the whole thing for me.

As for Sweeney Todd. Ehh... we hated it. I dont mind musicals and had high hopes for it. There's only so much Jack Sparrow i can handle though. Dunno. Perhaps i just lack culture, but i'd rather watch it on teh stage again than on the screen.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:48 pm

Most people I've talked to really liked Cloverfield, most people on TTB and here seemed to have enjoyed it.

I couldn't watch it without wanting to throw up because of the shaky-cam

My gf didn't enjoy it.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:14 pm

DampCat wrote:As for Sweeney Todd. Ehh... we hated it. I dont mind musicals and had high hopes for it. There's only so much Jack Sparrow i can handle though. Dunno. Perhaps i just lack culture, but i'd rather watch it on teh stage again than on the screen.

I hate musicals and I'm not a Depp or Burton fanboy so I figure I'll skip that one.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm

I am a Depp/Burton fanboy, and I still skipped it. I really hate musicals, though.

I loved Cloverfield! Probably my favorite movie of last year.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 am

I quite enjoyed Sweeney Todd. Yeah, it was just Captain Jack Sparrow with some razors slicing people up but it was very enjoyable.

At times truely horrific but with the over-saturated look of the fake blood used it wasn't unsettling.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Cloverfield arrived in the mail, and it was good. I think my favorite part about the monster was that it could create zerglings like it was sloughing off dead skin. I "HOLY SHIT"ted at the night vision scene. I think I did it again in that army biohazard/quarantine scene.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu May 29, 2008 1:38 am

Netfix, I've come to realize is not a dvd service. it is actually a test for schizophrenia. I've tested positive. there are two me's and they have wildy varying taste in movies, and they are constantly messing up each other's queues and returning each others movies unwatched. I might have to get two accounts.. yeah, that'll resolve this...
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 am

I can't wait until all the moving shit is done and I can go back to watching my Netflix DVDs.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I have a Netflix membership now (again). So. You all want to be my friends, right? RIGHT??
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Be my friend.

Netflixed Blindness yesterday. I rated it as a 3, because I couldn't do 3½. It lost half a star because, yeah I was expecting it to be pretty bleak, but wow some of those scenes went a little too far for me.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Watched Pineapple Express this weekend. Pretty bad movie, but it had one saving grace. James Franco dragon punches Rosie Perez in the face after kicking her in the crotch. In pretty much every fight scene, I wish someone would just dragon punch the other person, and they finally did it.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:22 pm

I got to experience netflix when I was over in the US. So jealous.

There were a few movies on there that I wasn't expecting to see, including one of my favourites, Siam Sunset. Check it out if you get a chance, I think it rates pretty well.

DO IT. ADD TO QUEUE NOW.
i before e except after a few beers

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Just added it to the instant queue, for to watch later on the Xbox.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Watched Pineapple Express this weekend. Pretty bad movie

I don't know if we can be friends.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Maybe I didn't get it, since I'm not a stoner.

Addendum: I gave it a 3/5 btw.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Maybe I didn't get it, since I'm not a stoner.

No, there was just no plot.

Just like Fear and Loathing.

Just like Requiem for a Dream.

There is no hidden depth, no profound message, no epiphany, no catharsis, no anignorisis. If it were any more hollow, you'd see light shining from behind it.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I wasn't aware that's important in a comedy.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:10 pm

I think plot is important in everything. A comedy without a plot tends to be pretty dull and madcap.

And Kauser, I totally disagree with you about Requiem.

Bag, are you RT?

Dyna and I have reasonably tastes in movies (75% compatible), which kind of surprised me.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”