ANIME

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Watched the first couple eps of The Devil Is A Part-Timer, it was fun. Nothing mind-blowing, but worth a watch. :)
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Attack on Titan is holy hell pretty. Can't comment on the story yet, it was all setup. It's definitely going to be in the Saikano/Elfen Lied EVERYONE DIES ISN'T LIFE AWFUL vein, which is nice, as I haven't had one of those in ages.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Les Fleurs du Mal was pretty much perfect and will probably be my pick for the season.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is pretty good. It isn't played nearly as straight as the reviewer suggested, but it's way less broad than most anime comedies. It plays pretty well to a western audience. I kind of would like more stuff in Isla Ente though, the action is really pretty.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Yah, I think I'm going to start up that fourteen day free trial at Funimation and watch that first ep of Attack tonight, if I have the time.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Red Data Girl also looks promising, but could be problematic. The main character is a super-shy, self-hating girl. Very clearly she is going to come into some sort of power and learn her own worth. How that is handled with determine the worth of the show.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is very pretty and has interesting world-building. Initially I was worried that it would be Macross Frontier, but it honestly feels more like Macross Zero.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Yah, I think I'm going to start up that fourteen day free trial at Funimation and watch that first ep of Attack tonight, if I have the time.

I'm really torn on that trial. Their website is AWFUL, the pages are incredibly slow to load and I'm better off trying to search from Google than find anything on it. But they have eally good licenses, and the streaming works well, and it's not expensive... I don't know.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Straigh Title Robot Show is a wacky skit show a la Gd Gd Fairies or Nyaoko-San where the skits are far too long. Fail.

The Severing Crime Edge is an anime about a guy with a pathological fetish for cutting hair that falls in love with a chick who has really long hair. It's not really a comedy, but it ends up being accidentally hilarious anyways. Probably not watching this.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 am

Oh, nevermind Funimation's poorly designed website. Crunchyroll has Attack On Titan covered :D

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... itan-anime

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 am

I saw that and was happy, but I still don't know where else to get Red Data Girl and at least for right now, I'm really intrigued by that one.

Yamato 2199 is amazingly pretty, like Macross Zero pretty, but the story is utter nonsense. Like if you made a giant crazy space ship to fly to the Magellanic Cloud, wouldn't you make sure you could generate enough energy to power it before you turned it on? And then they somehow figured it out anyways, I'm not sure how. Seriously they generate drama and tension off the weirdest shit that you are perfectly ready to take for granted.

There's a lot of good here so I probably won't watch it.

I still need to finish that show about the guy competing with the flowershop owner's husband's ghost. That was a crazy good series. I was waiting to watch that with Syarif, but he makes sushi now so he never has time.

I'm also finishing up Shin Sekai Yori, which is a really weird show. Seriously, I never have any idea where that show is going.

EDIT: Their site really is pretty crap though, isn't it?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Today I realized that the only first-person pronoun in Utada Hikaru's "Beautiful World" is boku. Meaning that song is a boy, singing to a boy.

Kind of crazy.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 am

Flowers of Evil end theme. Seriously, tell me that doesn't elicit some kind of a response in you.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:46 am

Four episodes into Titan now, I freaking love Sasha...

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am

I'm not caught up to 4 on that - we just caught up on Red Data Girl (not sure if I'm going to keep going with it) and Devil is a Part-Timer (still excellent).

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 am

My room mate and I were complaining about this.... so Eren has no natural talents and is just driven.... but he's fifth out of 218? What? At some point you have to say that he was so driven that he developed natural talent, you know? Like he pushed himself and his training to the point where he's in such good shape that it makes up for the fact that he started as a klutz.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 01, 2013 3:33 am

Yeah, they really didn't need to do that. He could've improved enough to not get booted out entirely, still joined the recon force like he wanted, etc. Seems like they did it just to play up the rivalry between Eren and Jean.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm not going to lie, I'm having a rough time keeping all the characters straight. Eren, Misaka, Sasha, Reiner and Hannes, I've got. The blond kid is... Armin? Or something. Jean? I don't know who Jean is.

People need to steal a page out of the Baccano/Durarara book. (Speaking of - whatever happened to Brain's Base? For a while there they were doing ALL the animes. Now it seems like Production IG is doing ALL the animes.)

Are you watching anything else this year, TMCM? Fleurs du Mal or Devil is a Part-Timer, for instance?

We tried watching the new Railgun only to be instantly disappointed. That dude is so amazing at creating interesting superpowers, I just want to see people fight. Really! This is the only anime ever where if people just mindlessly beat on eachother, I would be totally okay with it. But instead it's all eating cake and panty shots. Fucking bullshit.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I am trying to watch Devil Is A Part-Timer; I loved the first couple eps. Beyond that, I'm still trying to get used to this work / school schedule, which right now allows for class, work, and an hour of study, then sleep during the week. And, often, mandatory overtime on Saturdays. The semester ends next week though, so I should have a bit more free time after that. I'd honestly actually dropped out of watching any anime for quite a while, not because I wanted to, but because other things were grabbing my attention... really getting back into it of late though, at least as much as I can.

Also, you are not the only one having trouble with the Attack characters. I had to refer to the wiki when I wrote that last post. :roll:

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon May 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Attack On Titan ep. 5... AKA, Guess You Won't Have To Memorize So Many Names Now. Yikes.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri May 17, 2013 2:21 am

I caught up on Titan! I like the plot twist, but it didn't knock me on my ass the way it did a lot of other people, I think because Shin Sekai Yori used the same thing last season. Matt seems to think it's strongly divergent from the manga, though.

We're trying to catch up on Fleurs du Mal which we are WAY behind on. I really loved ep. 3, though. It's nice to see a semi-realistic, sexually dominant woman in a work of media that isn't a tramp.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”