ANIME

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 am

Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 pm

We discovered last night that, despite the best of intentions, my mother had accidentally purchased a non-English version of the AnoHana collector's Blu Ray (Most be region 0? I think Japan is R2?) It was on sale on RightStuf so I just bought the English subs Blu Ray.

So I finished showing the Fansubs to the room mates. Rene ended up crying and crying and crying, and I think it was good. She ended up really energized after the crying, so I think it was therapeutic. (Rene has had two grandfathers commit suicide, a mother who died of cancer, and a sister and a niece who were shot in the back of the head in their garage. A show about loss, grieving, the guilt of surviving, and the pain of unanswered questions was bound to have that affect on her.)

Matt and I did a grab bag afterwards. Neither of us could make it through episode 1 of Wizard Barristers, which is too bad, because Wizard Barrister! It is exactly what it sounds like, and yes, it is very very stupid. Then we watched the first of the very very old Shakugan no Shana and the jury is out. Probably not going to be a classic but not nearly as dumb as it might have been. Also watched the Mushishi OVA which, fanservice in the front aside, is a really great episode, and I feel like they're building to another Ginko/Tanyuu meeting, which is great. Wouldn't it be nice if Mushishi could end with Ginko being a little less lonely?

Leslie and I are still muddling through Haibane, and she frustratingly will not let me talk about it in any way. She did watch Wolf Children at home and enjoyed it quite a lot. Have I recommended Wolf Children? Do I even need to recommend a Mamoru Hosoda film at this point? He's had three fucking home run movies in a row, he's just going to shit gold forever.

Really haven't been keeping up well with anime lately. Syarif is busy with his crazy work/school schedule. Anime night fell apart, what with Dan constantly being out of town, Abi being incapable of doing anything without being hounded to do so, and Miao largely content to spend all of her time taking pictures of her cat and complaining about how dull her life is. Positive! Rene met a couple of kids at work who seem like they might be interested, and we sparred a little on anime and initial impressions are good.

Has anyone else seen anything lately that I missed out on?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm

$31? Damn it. There is $31 I will not have anymore. But I will have Eva 3.33. So there is a certain amount of trade-off.

I don't know about seeing anything you haven't lately, as I haven't had time for squat (though I do have this entire week off of work, so I may spend some time catching up), but I've had Eden Of The East and Hetalia: Axis Powers sitting in my Netflix queue forever. Any opinion on either?
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:06 am

I really liked Eden of the East until it BADLY mishandled the concept of rape. Any time you have a plot point of "You were raped so you just need to get fucked by the right guy and that guy is ME" and then the woman is like "He's a amazing he knows my true heart" instead of just stabbing him in the left eye, you are probably going to lose me. So that's where it lost me.

I am very much not the target demographic on Hetalia. It is a type of humor that's common in anime, that I just don't appreciate. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just a personal taste thing.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 pm

OMGBEES wrote:I really liked Eden of the East until it BADLY mishandled the concept of rape. Any time you have a plot point of "You were raped so you just need to get fucked by the right guy and that guy is ME" and then the woman is like "He's a amazing he knows my true heart" instead of just stabbing him in the left eye, you are probably going to lose me. So that's where it lost me.

Who the what now? o_0

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Yeah, there's a chick who is going around killing guys via exsanguination by
chopping their dicks off. The main character of the show meets her and is drugged by her, but wakes up before she cuts off his dick. He tells her he can see that she was raped in the past, that she just needs "real love" to be healed, and starts to kiss her, then passes out again from the drugs (so that he can remain pure but still cause a problem with the main love interest, oh anime). Later the killer remarks about what a brilliant person he is and how he saw into her deepest heart or some shit. It was an incredibly repellent moment for me, personally. No part of that seen is good; the dialogue is insipid, and it's a boringly constructed talking-heads portion. Plus they may as well have lit a blinking neon sign overhead that said DID YOU KNOW THAT ANIME IS OFTEN MISOGYNIST?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri May 23, 2014 7:54 am

This may actually be the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri May 23, 2014 4:40 pm

I've read stupider! But that's close.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 am

...I was thinking today, I wonder what that dude thinks of Saikano. Or... Fist of the North Star. Or any other Angst Shonen out there.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:41 am

I haven't actually watched any of Ghost In The Shell: Arise yet, but I've been keeping tabs on it here and there, and so what's this I read about the Major being the 'good, submissive girlfriend' in it? http://kotaku.com/the-newest-ghost-in-t ... 1598376608 I'm all for exploring new ground, but that's too much to me. Kusanagi has never, ever, ever been anything but a dominant, forceful personality, and the idea of her taking on a role that is even vaguely meek is almost enough to make me not want to watch this series at all. That whole notion is just so completely, radically against the nature of that character up to now as to be really off-putting...

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:14 am

I dismissed it the instant I found out CLAMP was doing it.

Fuck CLAMP.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:41 am

Wait, what? Apparently I haven't been keeping as careful a track of it as I thought. Now I want to watch it even less.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:11 am

Ah that's my bad. It was announced with something for Blood-C and I think I jumped to a conclusion.

Still, without Mamoru Oshii it's not really GITS. Everyone wants to lay that laurel on Shirow, but have you read the original manga? It is NOT good. GITS is Oshii's baby and without him it's not really GITS.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 pm

I read the original manga years ago in a trade paperback; this was so long ago I can't even remember most of it, though. About the only thing I do recall is some of the little 1 or 2 page 'side stories' that were in it, one in particular being the Major and Batou having a conversation about the relative strength of bionic arms; i.e., even if you were to have a really strong arm attached to you, it wouldn't matter as much because it would still be attached to normal human meat n' bone.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 am

Yeah there wasn't a ton in there. There were also a couple of very explicit lesbian scenes! And Aramaki is supposed to look like a monkey.

I'm probably overstating my point on Shirow, but if you look at other stuff that comes from his work - Dominion City Tank Polic, say, or Appleseed - you get an idea of what he's like without Oshii. You bounce across deep themes every now and then but they're never really deeply explored - he's great at coming up with basic ideas, much less good at following them and fleshing them out. Don't get me wrong, I especially like Dominion City for the atmosphere and the 80's-style anime wackiness, but it's nowhere near as good.

Whereas if you go and watch Oshii's stuff that he does outside of GITS, you kind of see that, yeah, he is basically the soul of GITS.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:54 am

I did admittedly kind of dig Tank Police, but it's been ages since I watched it, so it might be a case of rose-colored glasses.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 am

Watched the first episode of Knights of Sidonia; it was... ok? Not unwatchable, but feels like it's going to be yet another 'underdog becomes the BEST MECHA PILOT EVAR AND SAVES EVERYONE' series.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Watched the first episode of Knights of Sidonia; it was... ok? Not unwatchable, but feels like it's going to be yet another 'underdog becomes the BEST MECHA PILOT EVAR AND SAVES EVERYONE' series.

I'm hoping not. It's based on a Tsutomu Nihei manga and I really hope he wouldn't do that.

I'm dogsitting at a place with 3Mbps right now so I'm mostly catchupup on books.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

OMGBEES wrote:
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Watched the first episode of Knights of Sidonia; it was... ok? Not unwatchable, but feels like it's going to be yet another 'underdog becomes the BEST MECHA PILOT EVAR AND SAVES EVERYONE' series.

I'm hoping not. It's based on a Tsutomu Nihei manga and I really hope he wouldn't do that.

I'm dogsitting at a place with 3Mbps right now so I'm mostly catchupup on books.

I'm a few episodes in now, and it... still feels kind of like that, but not? I dunno. I'm digging it more than I was initially, but I'll have to see how I feel after all 12 eps are done.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:12 pm

HEYYYYY BEEEES, I'VE GOT GREAT NEWS FOR YOUUUUUU!

Death Note To Become Musical!

It's all of your favorite things in one!

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”