ANIME

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sun May 19, 2013 2:37 am

Gargantia jumped the fucking shark and has been eliminated.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun May 19, 2013 6:37 am

Is it worth watching up to whatever point that it does this shark-jumping in spite of it? Because I've heard good things.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Is it worth watching up to whatever point that it does this shark-jumping in spite of it? Because I've heard good things.

There is an attack by a giant surfing lobster robot in episode three. The whole episode is a clusterfuck of logic, and that last bit just drove the nail hard into the "don't watch me" coffin.

Watch Les Fleurs du Mal instead.

EDIT: Also the pirate queen who is 90% tits with her two slave girls that she abuses and keeps on chain leashes but for some reason when given independent control of gunships they are totally loyal to her. So that's great.
Last edited by OMGBEES on Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Red Data Girl has become intensely confusing to me. People just do things and I don't understand anyone's motivations. Part of the problem is that there is the social structure that comes from school, and the social structure that comes from the religious aspects, and the two influence each other. On top of that, there is a constantly ballooning cast of characters and they are impossible to tell apart - every guy has either dark brown or black hair, the same build, largely similar facial features, and the same sort of touseled/spiky haircut. Also, for instance, some people are triplets. Then some people are in competition because they want to get on the UNESCO World Heritage list for people and species (what?) and that brings them into conflict, particularly with the main character, who gets it for free. So the main character might get along well with someone, but because they secretly want to be on the list, all of a sudden they'll do something dickish at school, like tell her she can't join a club. Or they might practice some aspect of Onmyodou which doesn't sit will with the main character's Shinto magic, and so they have to fight, even though they like eachother. How much do you know about arcane Japanese mystical shit? It had better be a god damn lot or nothing anyone does will make any sense. Also sometimes the magical concept might be different than the old school mythical concept.

Seriously I am fucking lost.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Caught up again on Titan, man what. I have no idea what they're trying to do with that show.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Got myself a beautiful Totoro shirt from Qwertee the other week incidentally. http://www.qwertee.com/product/neighbors-forever/

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:46 am

That's very pretty! I still don't have Totoro, I don't know why Disney keeps that one so goddam expensive. It's like $40.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:43 am

$40? That's disgraceful.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 pm

OMGBEES wrote:Caught up again on Titan, man what. I have no idea what they're trying to do with that show.

I still like it, but if the last couple episodes are any indication, they aren't "trying to do" much. 2 1/2 hours almost completely lacking in forward story momentum entirely.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 am

dogmeat wrote:$40? That's disgraceful.

Yeah, especially when I just got Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Mononoke, and Castle in the Sky for like $9 each.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 am

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:
OMGBEES wrote:Caught up again on Titan, man what. I have no idea what they're trying to do with that show.

I still like it, but if the last couple episodes are any indication, they aren't "trying to do" much. 2 1/2 hours almost completely lacking in forward story momentum entirely.

They're kind of hitting that angst-shonen wall. My room mates and I have seen Saikano, so every time someone decides to spend the next ten minutes talking about how inadequate they are or how they don't want to die, which seems to be ALL of the last three or four episodes, one of us will shout, "But Shuji, I'm a WEAPON!" It's kind of annoying how angst-shonen always draws to that trope, and my favorite (Mnemosyne or Elfen Lied) totally skips it. Even stuff like Saikano or Iria no Sora tends to keep it pretty minimal. Especially when you compare it to the unending assault that Attack has become.

I feel like I'm in the same position I was in watching Railgun (my biggest regret since Bleach) - I love the fights so much I'm willing to put up with a lot of bullshit just to see one of them. Here's to hoping that it won't go the Railgun route and make me wait a dozen episodes between fights. Or, you know, fill the time with middle-schoolers in panties.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 am

So for those who aren't on my Facebook, Anohana is now on Crunchyroll! It's an amazing, heartfelt show that most people should watch. I think if you can make it to the end of the first episode, you'll have a good idea whether you like it or not.

In other news:

I am really liking the trope reversal in Titan. In fact, I'm loving the second season, WAY more than the first. I watched almost all of it straight through, literally sat and watched for like four hours. I love that if someone is introduced as strong or tough, they are going to die soon, but if someone is introduced as smart or crazy, they will live for a long time and tend to be important in the show.

Sunday Without God has also been really good. Basically god realized too many people were dying, the afterlife is full, so he left and now no one can die. Even if someone has their head removed, they continue to live on, their humanity slipping away until they become beasts. The only thing that can kill something permenantly is a proper burial by Gravediggers, who are very explicitly not human, and are also naturally mortal. The series focuses on a 12 year old who became a gravedigger because the gravedigger who was her mother died early. It has a really weird tone - in the first episode, the little girl meets a stranger. They banter and make lame puns. Then he kills everyone, literally every person in the village, except for her. Also the show is not too shy about randomly killing important people.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:55 am

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:56 am

Interesting art style, like someone asked "what would Masaki Yuasa look like if he stopped vomitting nightmares from an unclean mind" and then set out to answer that question. Something about how motion works in this reminds me of old skool Ghibli, like REALLY old skool, like Horace Prince of the Sun old skool.

I kind of wonder what Takahata looks like nowadays. I feel like Miyazaki loses his power as he becomes more jaded/sad/old, but Takahata might actually become stronger. His sadness might be a fuel.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 am

I'm not sure how I made it into this thread but you've intrigued me with Sunday Without God, Square.
Going to try it out tomorrow.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

That show goes to a weird place circa episode 11, fair warning.

Note: Weird here denotes anime. I was disappointed.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Well, considering all anime is a weird place for me, I'll just have to take your word for it. I'm going to try it out anyway.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 am

There is weird, like Aku no Hana weird, where you watch a character melt down and go through what is obviously a very emotionally unhealthy relationship.

There is Ergo Proxy or Lain or Texhnolyze weird where the plot is so nontraditional and complicated, or requires a ton of outside knowledge, and everything is bizarre.

There is weird like Toradora where you are watching a show where you know individually you hate every constituent part but the show is excellent and you can't really explain why.

And then there is just naked girls in a hot spring weird, ho hum. Like every god damn anime ever.

Seriously I'm getting so tired of that shit.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 am

Or that one character who eats a lot. HILARIOUS.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Or the busty placcid girl in glasses who is very clumsy! Ha ha!

How about that girl who shouts a lot and kicks guys but is secretly lonely!

Or oh no he fell down and touched her boob!

Yeah, there are as many terrible tropes in anime as there are in American TV. You dig and you find the good ones.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”