Best podcasts

Word of the day. Post of the year. Crime of the century.

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:34 pm

OMGBEES wrote:
Bunyip wrote:Film Junk!

Dry Canadians talk about movies. I love it so much. There's some other film podcasts I'll listen to occasionally, like the slashfilmcast and Mark Kermode's weekly radio show with Simon Mayo, but I keep coming back to the Junk.

I was pretty disappointed with this. Possibly I just don't care enough about movies.

No, I'm Canadian, love movies and it's just not that good. Bunyip never stops talking about it!

Although if Nagy was on regularly I'd probably give it another shot.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:44 pm

After trying a couple and getting bored I put on Wolverine, because that movie is bad in such a way that you should be able to describe how bat it is in a hilarious way. So I put it on, and, I don't know, 15 minutes in a guy just lists a bunch of stuff and describes it as brutal. "This scene was just brutal. Will.i.Am's acting was just brutal. The story was just brutal." It was literally the least interesting way I could think to approach that.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Been listening to the Best of the Left podcast. Good selection of topical clips from left wing / progressive commentators, bookended by some decent musical choices.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 am

My nominations for thePodCastAwards

People's Choice - Citizen Radio
Cultural / Arts - This American Life
Gaming - Weekend Confirmed
Mature - SModcast
Movies / Films - Hollywood Babble-On
Politics / News - Citizen Radio
Science - Science Friday
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:27 am

Been listening to Citizen Radio lately, a Progressive political podcast, done 3x a week. This week, the hosts (Allison Kilkenny and Jamie Kilstein) had some really good interviews with Bill Ayers, the 'domestic terrorist' that they tried to hang 'round Obama's neck in the 2008 election; Bertha Lewis, the former head of Acorn; and Jay Rosen, a media critic and professor of Journalism at NYU.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Kevin Smith's SMovieMakers podcast is well worth checking out; the first two have been lengthy conversations with Richard Kelley, director of Donnie Darko, and Edgar Wright, director of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Trying to find why Brian Leahy left Weekend Confirmed; definitely doesn't sound like a planned thing, and while it got obnoxious sometimes, I appreciated his measured cynicism vs Garnett and Jeff.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:46 pm

I didn't like Brian, his cynicism felt like cynicism for the sake of cynicism. Cynicism.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:19 pm

I don't know if this counts as a podcast, but I've been watching Day[9] Daily, particularly Funday Monday. I don't even play much Starcraft 2 much anymore, but it's still fun to watch.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:54 am

my commute is now like 3 minutes so i don't really listen to podcasts so much.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 am

This last Weekend Confirmed has me even more excited for Homefront. Just talking about that opening, and how things get more horrifying than (spoiler)mass graves has got me really curious. That bit from the Kotaku article has me really excited though, oddly enough:

Milius discouraged the game developers' original vision of an adventure that had the player heroically helping the military take back the U.S. He helped them craft something more intimate, a desperate journey by resistance fighters to transport fuel from Colorado to California. In making the story less grandiose, they've also given it more grit.

Just him having them scale the story back so you're not the Single-handed Savior of the United States sounds great. If the game is successful, I'd really love it for them to show us losing and getting pushed back even further...

As for other parts of the show this week... I guess I'm confused as to how Garnett can go from 1 or 2 shows back defending the unarguably high price point of the NGP but then balk at $40 for 3DS games.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 am

Wow, I haven't really followed Homefront all that much. I like what I've been hearing, though.

I've really been enjoying Dangerous Minds' music podcast. They dredge up a lot of cool older music, a lot of weird new stuff, and occasional Firesign Theatre clips for added awesome.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Oooh, I've been looking for modcasts.

I'm pretty excited for Homefront, just the fact that they've got the writer of Apocalypse Now makes me tingle.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:19 am

Been listening to the We're Alive podcast, a zombie apocalypse sort of radio drama. Voice acting is kinda 'eh' sometimes, and the sound effect work, especially early on, is sometimes just WAY too loud to the point where it's drowning out dialogue and busting eardrums, but it's pretty fun, and provides a nice long-form story to listen to at work. 'tis available on itunes, too.

Each chapter is composed of three parts, with the exception of the season 1 finale, which has 4 parts. Each part is about 19-25 minutes long and released weekly, with a one week break inbetween chapters and a three month break between the end of season one and the beginning of season two. They've got 20 chapters done, so if you get into it, there's plenty to catch up on.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Really getting into Greg Proop's Smartest Man In The World podcast. Never got the impression he was such a radical leftie from watching him on tv, it's pretty awesome.

Return to “Shallow Thoughts”