World of Warcraft: Citadel of What? I Forget...

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Dammit, what the hell is hit cap on Ret pallies now? I can't find an answer anywhere.

Also Azjol-Nerub is seriously like a 20 minute run.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm

every instance I've ever done so far clocks in at under a hour, it's great!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:09 pm

262 for Draenei, nice.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 pm

Cute vanity pet for logging in on the 4th anniversary... :)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:31 pm

So some guy named Ghoulish has threatened to destroy me economically in the AH. He contacted me to tell me my prices were immorally high, and that he was so rich I couldn't imagine it. He made crazy claims about how rich he was for about fifteen minutes without giving me numbers, then claimed he had more than 2 million gold. I rolled my eyes and ignored him.

He signed on another toon, and whispered me "YOUR business is MINE." Since then I've seen him bidding on BC greens.

Not really worried. What he'll do is undercut me. But I know for a fact that there isn't enough cheap BC greens on the market to support the BC emats market. The prices are so high because people will literally buy out the entire market over the course of a weekend. It doesn't make sense to lower prices, since I can't get more inventory. I'm already selling everything I have, since there's no more stock to sell, lowering prices will just make me less money. I tried to explain that to him but he has a concept of what a moral price is.

So the question is whether he has enough back stock or not to prove a serious threat. If no, I'll buy him out and resell at my prices.

If yes, then when he posts I undercut him by small amounts. If he buys me out, I increase the amounts until I figure out what his limit is. I basically become a wholesaler.

At that point I approach him about establishing a wholesale relationship, less than 10% less than what I'm getting in the AH so that I'm making more money. If he says yes he'll likely withdraw from the market, I wait 2 days for his auctions to flush out, and I sell at my prices again.

If he doesn't buy them out, I keep undercutting him by small amounts until he's selling for suicidally small amounts. Then I buy them all out and sell enchants. I'll make a killing because enchant prices are so high - if I can get him to sell emats for like 20% of what they are now (what he's threatening to do) then I can sell really cheap enchants and still make a huge profit.

Either way, this guy is being silly and I'm not terribly scared. I'm not sure he really gets this shit.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:12 am

Highly doubtful he has that much gold. With the money ceiling he'd have to have it spread across multiple characters. You can only transfer servers with 20k gold per character and if you haven't heard of him on your server before then it's unlikely he'd be such a big player on the AH.

You could always get Blizzard to investigate him, they get twitchy about people with that much gold because the only thing to do with all of that is sell it for real money. Ask him what he's doing with all the gold he's amassed.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:31 am

Heh, point.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:17 pm

well, Blizzard kinda painted themselves in with the gold because a 2-man buttbuddy mount costs 19k (?) so there's actually a legit reason for having that much money.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 pm

OMGBEES wrote:So some guy named Ghoulish has threatened to destroy me economically in the AH. He contacted me to tell me my prices were immorally high, and that he was so rich I couldn't imagine it. He made crazy claims about how rich he was for about fifteen minutes without giving me numbers, then claimed he had more than 2 million gold. I rolled my eyes and ignored him.

He signed on another toon, and whispered me "YOUR business is MINE." Since then I've seen him bidding on BC greens.

Not really worried. What he'll do is undercut me. But I know for a fact that there isn't enough cheap BC greens on the market to support the BC emats market. The prices are so high because people will literally buy out the entire market over the course of a weekend. It doesn't make sense to lower prices, since I can't get more inventory. I'm already selling everything I have, since there's no more stock to sell, lowering prices will just make me less money. I tried to explain that to him but he has a concept of what a moral price is.

So the question is whether he has enough back stock or not to prove a serious threat. If no, I'll buy him out and resell at my prices.

If yes, then when he posts I undercut him by small amounts. If he buys me out, I increase the amounts until I figure out what his limit is. I basically become a wholesaler.

At that point I approach him about establishing a wholesale relationship, less than 10% less than what I'm getting in the AH so that I'm making more money. If he says yes he'll likely withdraw from the market, I wait 2 days for his auctions to flush out, and I sell at my prices again.

If he doesn't buy them out, I keep undercutting him by small amounts until he's selling for suicidally small amounts. Then I buy them all out and sell enchants. I'll make a killing because enchant prices are so high - if I can get him to sell emats for like 20% of what they are now (what he's threatening to do) then I can sell really cheap enchants and still make a huge profit.

Either way, this guy is being silly and I'm not terribly scared. I'm not sure he really gets this shit.

Markets of perfect information such as in WoW are usually really boring, but if this guys is willing to act irrationally then you've got a good opportunity to take advantage of that. Good luck, this guy clearly doesn't understand the idea that a fair price is exactly what people are willing to pay.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:20 am

I probably never mentioned this before. Since my new job started I've stepped down as officer in DS and now I've stepped down to guild friend. Even if I had the intention to raid, I wouldn't have the time. Being away for 3 weeks at a time and all.

My new laptop broke too, so I'd have to get it fixed before I could even play at a decent framerate.
Thankyou again to Miel for crashing my racer for me. :-)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:26 am

I haven't played WoW in 2 or 3 weeks. Having to level again can bite my left nut.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:43 am

You seem to have more fun playing about in the marketplace than you do with the rest of the game... heh :)
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:57 am

I do. I liked raiding, and I like toying with the economics. But the actual level-grinding is shit. Yeah, Wrath has some great quests. Several of them. But I need to do hundreds to get back up to 80.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 am

The quests do get better the further you get in Northrend. There are a few that will have you saying "This... is awesome".

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 am

I'm 78 and bored as hell.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Are you playing EVE? Maybe you should be playing EVE.

I find having someone to level with makes it a lot more tolerable. Trying to get alts to 80 though...nothing makes that more tolerable.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

To hell with EVE. What a godawful game. Who knew micromanagement to the nth degree could be so fun? Oh, wait, it's not.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 am

Maybe, but it has the most robust economy of all the MMOs.

Quieno
Disciple

Postby Quieno » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:58 pm

pablo banquo wrote:I probably never mentioned this before. Since my new job started I've stepped down as officer in DS and now I've stepped down to guild friend. Even if I had the intention to raid, I wouldn't have the time. Being away for 3 weeks at a time and all.

My new laptop broke too, so I'd have to get it fixed before I could even play at a decent framerate.
Thankyou again to Miel for crashing my racer for me. :-)

Wow, I think you were the last consistent end-game player. The rest of us left, play the economy or are not as hardcore as we once were.

Miel, why would you break Araj's racer?

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”