Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN for short)

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN for short)

Postby nobody_important » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:13 pm

IVAN is a roguelike game similar to NetHack. I downloaded it last night and tried it out while waiting for the damn WoW login server to come back online. The graphics are fairly primitive (it's not truly ASCII based like NetHack or Rogue), but the blood and vomit rendering engines are truly a sight to behold. In fact, it's probably the first such game to render blood and vomit splatter. It doesn't seem to be as ungodly complicated as ADoM, or as annoying as NetHack (though that might change as I progress further), but it's got a very definite mean streak, especially if you try power-leveling.

I've enjoyed it so far, even though I managed to kill off my first two characters in the space of twenty minutes. My first guy died to a bunch of kobolds after getting his groin critically stuck in a spider web (don't ask.) My second guy accidentally blasted a town guard with a lightning wand (I was trying to clone him to see what would happen and hit the wrong key) and was torn apart in the ensuing melee. In fact, after reading a few threads on the subject, it seems like the goal of the game is more about discovering fun and interesting ways of dying than finding some mythical amulet or crap like that. Check it out, and post your most entertaining deaths.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”