Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 am

Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:49 pm

yes, it's been nice being able to mine belts that haven't been compltely picked over - my corp also recently made a "big move" (It actually got picked up by eve's own player run news agency and made the eve news, several of our players were interviewed and screenshots were taken of our large exodus fleet) to a neighborhood of systems with more resources and room for us to play in.

unfortunately, most of the major nullsec wars have ended, and this disturbing epidemic of peace has meant that tritanium prices have dropped significantly, making mining less profitable even while ore is more abundant :(
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 pm

They did an even more detailed breakdown of what exactly Unholy Rage accomplished on the website, it's actually kind of interesting.

Hob, surely it's only a matter of time before something sets off nullsec wars all over again? They'll probably start fighting again just for the sake of it...
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:21 pm

surely, in the meantime i'm banking my minerals.

in fact the mining rush is over in the neighborhood of aldrat, as the uni has been wardecced again. back to my helios to practice setting up warp in points for the uni blob to eat.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:07 pm

As scams go that one's a doozy!

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:48 am

Decided to quit the game. Not for nearly as negative an assortment of reasons as last time, it's just that it's not clicking with me. I think part of the problem is that with games like this, I at least occasionally need to be made to feel as though I'm part of a larger story structure, and that's pretty near impossible with a game of this size.

Plus, there are other MMO's coming out relatively soon that I think I might possibly be more interested in dropping money on.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

There has been so many BIG HUGE events going on in eve lately, I don't even know where to start. Oh wait, yes I do.

GOONSWARM DISBANDED.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Wait, what? How? Why?

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

They didn't pay their sovereignty bills for all of their systems, cuasing the whole region of space they owned to fo into free for all. This set off a shitstorm.

From what I've heard, the main executor was away on vacation, the chief finance officer, who was responsible for paying the bills on sovereignty had been getting more and more inactive in the game, just forgot to pay.

When all the systems lost sovereignty, it opened them up basically to anyone to take. This pissed off the active members, and officers that run the day to day of the alliance. It turned into a coup, and the head of goonswarm and a few loyalists were busily trying to turn off director controls to the majority rebelling officers who were busily trying to snap up systems and resources.

That's only a small part of the story, but in the end the alliance disbanded, lots of them are reforming into a new alliance. And they've left the area open. The resultant power vacuum has led to lots of other shake ups all over the place, including in my own region.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Wow, that's incredibly major, wild.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:43 pm

there's definately better writeups online but I can't go to those sites from work - just google "goonswarm disbanded"

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

So I meant to journal the other stuff long ago but didn't get around to it.

That power vacuum shook up a major check/balance in my own former region of space: The mega alliance AAA was fighting goon held space one side of their region of space, and my own alliance's mega/holding alliance CVA occupied the region on their other border. While rumors were half heartedly started every so often about how we are "blue" to goonswarm, meaning the two of us were in some formal non agression pact to fight a common enemy of AAA, that was never the case. It would have been stupid, AAA is maybe 3x more populous than CVA.

Well a few months ago, some for some stupid damn idea, the brass at CVA ok'd an attempt at taking over AAA held systems in southern provi-catch borderlands, and we even did take the target travel hub system, cutting off a route to empire space for those. that pissed off AAA but it pissed of the large holder alliance of theirs even more - one that's had a long history and and axe to grind against CVA: UK.

In fact the history between these two alliances is fascinating - they are two of the oldest 0.0 alliances in the game, and are roleplaying alliances (CVA are amarrian loyalists, UK a minmatar freedom fighters/terrorists)

The retaliation at the time was a daring strike by AAA deep into Providence, taking over a major hub system and camping it, effectively cutting off all but jump bridge transportation between main chunks of space. This cut of my own alliance's quickest access to empire. Oddly, our response seemed weak, there was one feeble attempt to regain the system, then orders were passed out simply let them have it. So they camped the system and we stepped up patrols in the surrounding systems to keep their use of that space limited.

Stuff seemed to cool down, in fact it was even fun - we had increased enemy roam gangs in our space so we didn't have to look too far for a fun fight. AAA didn't try to take any more systems and in fact their camp dwindled to skeleton crew. Rumours were the system was too useless to them to pay for holding it perminently, that it was simply a token gesture to show their strength and they'd eventually abandon it when the bill came due. That's about when goonswarm imploded. Nothing directly came of it, but it means that AAA's cap fleet, was freed up from their constant battles with goon.

Then my OWN damn alliance's asshole leader did something selfish and retarded. He attempted a coup, essentially, and disbanded our alliance, letting sov drop on 6 systems. And now Provi is burning.

His excuse was that CVA was unhappy with our alliance's presense in their large scale call to arms (this might be so, but CVA did NOT ok his coup or was even informed). He stated rumours of lax applications processes in other some corporations letting in spies. he explained that station holding corporations felt unfairly under-represented considering their higher stake in the alliance (they didn't, in fact they weren't even consulted of the coup and a few were downright pissed).

What he tried to do was to transfer sov into a new alliance he owned 100% Our old alliance structure was essentially a democracy, corps had senator representation and major changes were voted on, this it seems was not to our alliance leader's liking. the new leadership would have a limited senate of station holder corps only, and ultimately all power resting in the executor (him). Sov didn't transfer smoothly, all sov was dropped in all 6 systems we owned.

UK jumped at this - with cyno jammers down they quickly invaded and tried to claim sov. We fought back at first getting 4 of 6 systems back, but some weird bug in the game's code caused sov to keep flipping back and forth on the other 2.

At first our alliance quickly reformed - for survival's sake, because loosing those systems meant loosing all our STUFF in hangars in those systems. But the only thing more furious than the fighting over the space was that going on in the alliance from the coup. corps left in droves. our former alliance leader was actually fragged a few times. station holders were taking up sides against each other, and CVA explicitly and publicly said they were not going to interfere, or aid, us.

All this time CVA stood and waited - i think they were worried if things escalated and CVA were called in, then UK would call AAA in. but UK was eager to take back systems they considered their home (in fact we were holding the systems that were formerly UK's, displaced long ago by CVA), and between the Goonswarm disband and CVA projecting weakness, the full scale invasion of providence from AAA came.
They started with taking choke points to empire space, one a day. then began taking the weakly defended remains of our alliance space and neighboring systems, connecting that hub system they took way back a month ago to their lands and opening up a route to safely move in bigger and bigger guns. CVA is looking pretty grim, not just because they are outnumbered, but a long history of pretty lousy dimplomacy and their policy of NRDS has racked up alot of red alliances and very few friends. They're just one of those really old, never really been challenged in years, carebare 0.0 holders that got too comfortable, and are too slow to react to the very big changes in eve.

I'm not sure if our old alliance even exists anymore, or what the state of providence or CVA is, but my corp did eventually pull out of the provi region entirely to help a start up alliance in a more remote section of 0,0 called wicked creek. We're really far away from empire now, and the new lands are isolating, but resource rich - if we can find a way to safely get it to market.

Jason Mustian

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”