Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:35 pm

I have to admit the PA 14 day ad got me seriously looking at Eve Online. I'm a little hesitant to try a less than popular MMO because the vitality of those games are very closely linked to population. but if it's can give me that whole elite/privateer/freespace experience as an MMO... my dreams would be officially incarnate.

WoW is starting to grate on me, especially since the lag monster is pretty much the only thing i fight in that game anymore, prior to WoW i never knew there were so many versions! chat lag, loot lag, craft lag, quest completion lag, spell lag...

even death lag: i died while laging in combat, travelled to my corpse, and actually saw myself still alive, and had to relog just to res.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:56 pm

I hear great things, but I'm more of a walking-around kind of guy.
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Re: Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Postby Kauser » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:09 pm

hobokenbob wrote:I have to admit the PA 14 day ad got me seriously looking at cartoon tits. I'm a little hesitant to try a less than popular MMO because the vitality of those games are very closely linked to population. but if it's can give me that whole elite/privateer/freespace experience as an MMO... my dreams would be officially incarnate.

Fixed it for you.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:47 pm

Eve is unplayable if you don't join a corporation, or have a group of friends. It's not the kind of thing you can solo. I'd also like to point out that it is by far the biggest game I've ever played. You'll see what I mean if you start playing it.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:29 am

forget it i find my game time can never keep to any real schedule so i never have regular people i play with, so i kinda need solo viable games
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:07 pm

curse you shorty for delaying my trying eve online out!

My predictions were right all along!

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:24 am

I was not impressed at all with EVE online. I should have known there was trouble right off the bat when you spend several minutes designing a custom avatar that you're never going to see in any practical way. The amount of time it takes to mine an asteroid is equal parts disgusting, horrible, and dull. Travel wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take ages, and if you didn't have to travel back across several quadrants just to get back to your quest giver.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:13 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:I was not impressed at all with EVE online. I should have known there was trouble right off the bat when you spend several minutes designing a custom avatar that you're never going to see in any practical way. The amount of time it takes to mine an asteroid is equal parts disgusting, horrible, and dull. Travel wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take ages, and if you didn't have to travel back across several quadrants just to get back to your quest giver.

The avatar thing is kind of lame, it pops up as a tiny picture in chat and if you look at someone's bio. I wish it would pop up bigger if there was some sort of ship to ship communication (ala wing commander) but since most all coms is irc-like it doesn't really play a factor. however, CCP has mentioned working on finally implementing some form of avatar control outside of your ship. The fact is right now your ship is your persona and unfortunately there isn't even anyway to customize that with paint and decals. The upside is the ships are fantastic looking, and any sort of player made crap put on them would probably take away from that.

What part of mining would you suggest be not boring? It's mining. It's supposed to be boring! I prefer ratting, pvp, or even missions over mining. leave that to the OCD people who enjoy that type of thing. That said, being part of a corporation mining op in low sec was pretty fun if only because it was logistically challenging. Solo mining is lame, and so innefficient it's not worth it.

Travel time is drastically shorter (and safer) if you manually "warp to 0m" to jump gates, rather than use autopilot. Personally, I think balancing travel time convenience against other factors must be incredibly hard where no one is going to be truly happy: Too short and cargo hauling would be like free money once you have a good trade run figured out, and pvp pirates would have no chance to ambush you. Too long and it gets frustrating as an obvious time sink and too dangerous to go through low sec with pvp pirates able to lock down just about anyone.

For those one-off across the universe movements there is also now a system that I'm not to familiar with yet called "jump clones". You can leave a jump clone (or several) anywhere you want, and for a price you can teleport to them (but implants don't transfer over). People seem to use them for pvp, leaving their main self at "home" jumping to a clone out in a null sec base to fight with, so that if they get killed they don't loose all their expensive implants in their main persona.

You don't have to travel back to your agent to end a quest. bring up the journal and talk to him when the objective is complete and your reward is wired to you. You'll still have to physically go back to him to get a new quest, or to pick up any non cash reward item. Obviously if part of your quest is to bring something back to him you'll have to be there physically as well. I look for agents that give more bounty/kill missions and less courier missions (the type of agent dictates the probabilities of kill/courier/other mission types) as kill missions are always in system or one jump away max, and highly profitable.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 pm

My alliance is at war!

It seems an unnamed third party has hired a mercenary corporation to go to war with us for this week. These guys are hard core pvpers who are going to basically mop the floor with noobs like myself. Fortunately, my alliance is pretty big and has its share of big hitters. The communication has been great, we've been warned of going out in anything we can't afford to loose, and there's an intel channel up and ventrilo has become almost mandatory. I'll be spending the week in a cheaply fitted cruiser, or a frig set up for tackling, depending on what's needed, and looks like i'll be getting a crash course in PvP.

Of course, the top priority is finding out which bastard has gone to the trouble of hiring mercenaries on us. and war-dec them!

Jason Mustian

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:20 am

Ha, that's kind of cool.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:37 am

Wow. That alone makes me want to play this game. What are the system requirements like? If I play, can I play with you?

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:05 am

if your computer can start up, it can probably play EVE

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:08 am

But I have a laptop, with a shitty Radeon Mobility something or other. :(

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:59 pm

You can play it, i would bet. The new expansion updates all the models soe but you can set custom settings with some fiddling.

I tried 2 eve trials and i couldnt really get into it. I "downgraded" to X3 (singleplayer game) and coudn't get into that either. I'd really like to but the learning curve seems immense.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:39 pm

EVE is something I'd enjoy if it had no monthly fee attached.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 pm

War Correspondence:

The brass has decided that for everyone's safety, major ops should take place in one general area, easily guarded as it's a natural choke point. in other words fly elsewhere - even empire space - at your own risk. Concord police will not interfere in a war even if the combatants duke it out in hi security space lanes.

The other night I joined in a gang to go patroling for the enemy in what we're loosely considering safe zone (though really it's more like when you get attacked there at least our pvp members can get to you faster). Things were going pretty swimingly, we had a big fleet and were pushing the mercs back through the gates we were trying to protect. even got a pod kill on one unlucky bastard. Until we chased two cruisers into a starbase. We camped, thinking they were pretty much doomed, but got ambushed ourlselves. The two cruisers pilots popped back out in carriers mammoth ships that made our fleet look like toy boats.

When they released their fighters, my frame rate tanked - a dozen from each ship is alot to suddenly render. There was no chance our fleet would be able to stand up to them or even make a dent, but fighter drones are expensive and rare on the market. They engaged our fleet commander first - fortunately for us since his faction battleship was probably the only thing that could stand that kind of fire for more than 30 seconds. His panicked voice came over the com channel: "nevermind the carriers, target those fighters!" Just trying to get a lock on fighters was challenging to my noobish electronic skills, but I managed to get one targetted and put all of my rail guns and blasters on it. Our fleet destroyed 4 fighters in the minute or so before the call came out to warp away, The head battleship was down to about 25% armor and couldn't take any more abuse. I had my one fighter down to its structure, and was reluctant to retreat with its destruction so close, but orders are orders.

We re-grouped, at pre-set muster spot, safe for now: carriers are too big to warp, and require cyno fields for point to point jumps. We were estatic we got away with no losses, and not only that succesfully faced carriers, even if it was only for a short time. Even so, if the mercenaries are empoying some of the biggest ships in eve in this little seven day war it's hard not to feel like very a very very small fish right now.

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:00 pm

I have no idea what the game looks like, so I am picturing a scene out of Battlestar Galactica. In which case that sounds pretty cool.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Not enough nerd sex fantasies to be BSG.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 am

Man, that's not that far up my queue, tell me that that show is awesome!

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 pm

I was going to talk about an alliance mining op but it didn't happen because the server went down for a patch when it was supposed to start. However I will talk about a little drama, because next to complaining about shit, drama is the best thing about MMORPGs eh?

One of my corp mates suddenly left and joined up with the mercs we are war dec'd with. He's now KoS. Traitorous fiend.

unfortunately thats all i know, I didn't know the guy very well. i admit this is pretty lame drama.

Jason Mustian

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”