Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't think Salvagers can be used by trial accounts.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm

You and your Moxie.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:06 pm

hobokenbob wrote:I don't think Salvagers can be used by trial accounts.

They can, it seems; at least it's letting me train the necessary skills. but I have to have my Salvaging at 1 and my Survey at 3 first. I can't even begin to learn the former until the latter is at 3, though. I've got a civilian scavenger I can use in the meantime, however. And yes, I am doing that much missioning. I'm not looking for pvp fights right at the moment.

I took off the civilian autocannon and replaced it with a 150mm light autocannon as well.

edit: The game just gave me a stasis webifier as part of a mission.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:03 pm

.... I must resist the temptation to play this game.

It sounds like a supped up Trade Wars

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Man Pab, if you were so hard up for cash that you had to make money off of EVE Online I would have helped you out.

I guess Crime really does pay

Aparently 200 billion interstellar credits = $5,800 Canadian .. wow thats quite the exchange rate.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 pm

You should look around, there are all kinds of huge scams and heists throughout the history of EVE. It's one of the cool things about the game.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:41 am

Tweeg wrote:Man Pab, if you were so hard up for cash that you had to make money off of EVE Online I would have helped you out.

I guess Crime really does pay

Aparently 200 billion interstellar credits = $5,800 Canadian .. wow thats quite the exchange rate.

Me, what? I've never played the game. Not a big fan of economic simulations.
i before e except after a few beers

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:34 pm

What about the auction house?

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:14 pm

I just want my stuff to sell and I usually won't bother saving the crap up until the weekend when prices are higher.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 am

... Wow. Just saw a video of an Avatar Titan being destroyed by Goonswarm and Pandemic Legion, apparently with no capital ships. Can't imagine how frustrating that must've been for the pilot of the Titan... :lol:
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:20 pm

I've been having a blast as a member of [redacted].

Even though I'm more experienced than the average new recruit, there has been plenty of things I've learned in the areas of fleet makeup and operations, overview settings, ROEs, and most recently - POS destruction.

When I joined [redacted], they were in the middle of a War Decleration initiated by pirate alliance [redacted] - guys who were supposed to be pretty badass high skill, fancy ship pirates and the scourge of low sec space near the FORGE region of space (where Jita is). They declared war on us to "teach these noobs how pvp is done", which is to say they thought they'd be easy kills, and a boost to their ego.

Yesterday we blew up their POS (Player owned Station) in their home turf in Ihakana. We also claimed kills on 3 carriers, quite a few battle ships, and several nice tech II ships, including a command ship. One other carrier managed to slip away on just a 20% or so of structure left, and an Aeon mothership that was locked down and getting overwhelmed decided to self destruct rather than allow our killboards to score it, also preventing us from looting/salvaging it.

We lost 3 tech 1 battleships, and a handful of easily replaceable frigates and cruisers.
Last edited by hobokenbob on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:38 pm

That sounds impressive. :)

I'm appreciating the game's strengths a good deal more this time around than I did the last time around. The ability to level without the mind-numbing aspect of grinding, for one, is a huge bonus. Also that success or failure in this game really does seem to depend on the amount of time you're willing to put in regardless of whether that time is strictly sequential or not.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am

Ok, I swear I won't do this all the time, but I wanted to throw my config out there one more time, see what hob and OMG thought of it.

Right now, I've got one 125mm Autocannon I, one 150mm Light Autocannon I, and one 200mm Autocannon I, all loaded with Titanium Sabot S. My last high slot is taken up by a Salvager I.

Mid slots are occupied by a Stasis Webifier I, a Civilian Shield Booster (yes, I know, it sucks, but even a small shield booster I in its place would result in my capacitor being drained in about 9 seconds as opposed to a minute), and a 1mn Afterburner.

My low slots have a 200mm Reinforced Steel Plates I and an Expanded Cargohold I in them.

It's been serving me well for a while now, but the NPC's are finally starting to bite back a little harder; that's why I switched from mainly using the Carbonized Lead S to the Tit. Sabot. There's a small range penalty with the latter, but it does twice the kinetic damage of the former.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:14 pm

One thing I like is that you are using all autocannons - their optimum ranges will be roughly the same. It's sometimes even better to use uniform guns but that is sometimes not going to be possible when starting out.

I would pick a tanking style to stick with, either shields *or* armor, but not both. If capacity is an issue with the shield booster, try using passive shield mods.

Cap issues are tough when starting off, and you don't have the higher skills that will mitigate cap usage of all those active mods.

The armor and cargo mods in the lo slots are slowing you down more than you realize and causing that damage. I would stick a damage control in their somewhere - these little wonders are huge: they use very little cap, but when active boost resistances to armor, shield, and most importantly boosts a huge resistance to structure. In pvp they are often the difference between warping out to safetly or getting popped, and while you don't want to be getting into structure while missioning, sometimes shit happens! and instead of plates, maybe go with "speed tanking" via overdrive injectors and nano hull mods. whether armor or shield tanked, a frig's best defence is speed and turning power. with the savings on power grid and cpu maybe you can fit a better shield booster.

lastly, one huge benefit to minmitar's preferred weapon system is its ammo flexibility - you can fire rounds in all four damage types, if you're doing missions or ratting the same pirate group, it'll help alot to use the right ammo. When I get home I will try to find a list of NPCs that show which damage type to use against what faction (and what to protect against).

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Square has a link to that info on the previous page, but thanks anyway. :) I do need to start paying more attention to it, really; up to this point, it's been easy enough to just roll into an area with whatever ammo type, unload on an enemy ship with all three guns, and just wait a few seconds. "_____ Rookie" ships still don't last all that long, but stronger ships are starting to come in on the second waves.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:42 pm

by Friday, I'll have the skills to fly the Hulk - Eve's premier mining boat. It has been hellish forgoing all the tasty tasty combat skills on my wishlist so that I can fly this monstrocity, and I know that mining can be really boring, but it's a good source of income, and something that can easily be done on weekdays solo when I only have a little time and attention to spend on gaming.

Bottom line is it means I can afford to loose more/fancier ships pvping on the weekends - not that I plan to.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:00 pm

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:46 pm

hobokenbob wrote:awesome eve online video:
http://www.gossipgamers.com/eve-online- ... ect-video/

http://www.gossipgamers.com/eve-online- ... iew-video/
A contrasting view to that video. Woo mining!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:43 pm

Some of that you learn pretty quickly how not to do. Like, if you don't autopilot your way through space, you get there MUCH more quickly.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”