Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I've just started playing this properly now. Quite enjoying it really! Kitted out my Kestrel to run missions whilst i wait for the appropriate skills to be able to run a Ferox properly.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Kestrel's look like fun ships. They're far an away the most popular frig out there. However I'd have to cross train caldari race to fly em, and that's not the best race to cross train as a gallente, ie i have no shield or missle skills.

Have you found a corporation yet?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Now that I've managed to get a faction to like me enough for level 3 missions, i can go earn money alot easier. this frees me up to feel like it's no big deal to loose a ship here or there in pvp - but i'm still to scared to risk my first battleship in pvp, as it's both my most expensive ship and my bread winner.

fortunately my corporation has been doing quite well so far as organizing money making ventures, and I may be eligble soon for a free BS for pvp (plus replacements on any lost in corp pvp events). Probably just another domi, as they are the cheap gallentean battleships, still BS pvp may happen this weekend, I'm very excited!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

ReaL
Emo Whore

Postby ReaL » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:15 am

Yeah its a pretty big risk to pvp when you first get good equip in that game... I played since the game came out, till about 6 months ago. I was super burnt out on it and broke in general and sold my account for 500. Kind of regret it now. Made it up to 50mil sp though...did pvp since the beginning of the game. It's a total different game now though...corperations are so huge, but I think It's one of the first MMO games to really get economy and pvp right. Once you get into pvp that game is a rush...its like risking a few months worth of money in a few seconds win or lose. Always a gamble cause you never know what they're packing. The funniest is when you jump your billion isk rig strait into a blockade with a bubble and you have to try and stealth back to the gate or out of bubble range with 20 people flying around looking for you. That shit will have you stressed to the max.

I always was in pirate corperations living in 0.0 though since I got my first good frigate, but that was back when no one even had a Cruiser yet...still remember the first guy who ever got a cruiser in game. Good old LordZap with his Osprey. First legenday pirate in the game. CCP had to drop the main systems in Lonetrek to 0.0 ratings because Mo0 had them locked down and were killing the npc police and not letting anyone in. The GMs had to get in ships and go in and force them out. Good times.

I think I still have acces to the Ronin/Yakuza forums if you guys want any really good ship setups that we had listed.
I love everyone

DampCat
Cow! Cube! Cowuuuube!

Postby DampCat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:00 pm

I do have a corp from another forum. Not particularly helpful though.

Ive kind of given up. I saved up enough for a Ferox then insurance was another 7mil, then kit would be 10mil, and i just cantr eally be arsed. It's a bit too slow for me i'm afraid.

Just going to train skills for the next 24 months then sell it for a gazzillion dollars.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 pm

I've begun mining lateley and can't seem to stop. This affliction started after buying myself a retriever, a model of the first ship class that is solely devoted to mining. It's way more addictive that it should be. i keep saying to myself this is only grinding for money so i can replenish my funds, buy more pvp frigates and cruisers and get back to having my ass smeared across several square A.U. of deep space, but in my heart I know this sort of thing satisfies some deeply weird need of collecting things or something. plus the money! it's coming in nicely. still though, it's innefficient for me to be selling raw ore. my margins would be so much better if i could get my refining skill up, refined mineral prices are alot more stable, and they can be moved alot easier (less bulky) than ore, i can bring them to better markets. this means getting a bigger hauling ship too.

I see what's happening. I'm treading a dark path that's inevitably going to lead me to being a "crafter". MMO crafters.. paying to play with spreadsheets. I thought I quit that when weapon crafting got screwed over in DAoC by expansion packs. No!!!!!

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:55 pm

The New update for Eve brings faction warfare into the game. I quickly joined a militia and dive in, using my far-to-legitimately gotten gains from mining to purchase and equip a fancy tech 2 frigate (enyo) for pvp.

Bottom line: It's terrific fun, and it really dropped the barrier to entry into PvP which was a big issue in Eve.

essentially the update created a new NPC corporation for each race as well as a militia chat channel that is specifically meant for PvP, with the battle lines pre-drawn. (Galente and Mimitar vs. Amar and Caldari - although Gal Mim aren't allied so much as neutral and same between Amar and aldari). There's also a suite of other extras including pve style missions, pvp oriented control points to sort of direct the flow of the pvp fights, and decorations and what not (though so far no specific material rewards have shown up, like the loyalty stores for PvE mission earned loyalty points). This obviously makes the whole thing alot more like WoW pvp or like DAoC realm v realm.

This certainly doesn't mean that the machiavelian italian-city-states style of pvp isn't still alive and well in null sec. But it does mean that low sec has become a much more dangerous place to the swarms of pirates that used to own it - now they run the real risk of having their gate camps broken by 50+ militiamen (almost all of whom have bitter memories of being ganked by pirates in the past)

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:10 pm

oh yeah: there's now a right-click align option for distant objects. Sweet.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 am

Rubber bunker punk.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:34 am

what... WHAT!?!?
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Again, I was REAL fucking tired. For an hour before posting that, I couldn't get off the floor.

Lethe
Colonel Catfork

Postby Lethe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Hey, does anyone play this?

I do!

Y'all should play too. Yeah? YEAH!

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 pm

I don't play this, but you should come to my house and beat the expert drum tour on Rock Band for me.

Lethe
Colonel Catfork

Postby Lethe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Are you buying my ticket? Cuz I'm there!!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

I had a dream you were commenting on my singing, Lethe!

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 pm

One time I said you sounded like the Fitter, Happier guy. If in fact "guy" can be applied to that situation.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm

That is without a doubt the mic. Although I can do a passable robot voice, thanks to my years in Relay.

I can sing okay! I just don't know how far above okay I can sing.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Well then you should be good at singing on Rock Band because that doesn't require a good singing voice, only the ability to sing like a robot. Which is why I've beaten the expert vocal tour and have the flawless singing achievement...?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 am

I can't sing like a robot, I have way too much vibrato.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:40 am

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”