Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 12, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm trying this now and so far I like it a lot better than Warhammer.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 am

Really enjoying the fuck out of this game. I have a decently set up Merlin going and a Badger to do my mining. I love/hate the badger; if it had even ONE MORE turret hard point I could at least put ONE gun on the thing, and then when I'm mining in .8 I wouldn't have to run at the first sign of trouble. But at the same time, that makes it sort of exciting.

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Sun May 17, 2009 4:54 pm

I really got to stop reading these threads ... what OMGBEES just posted makes me want to pick up MMOGs again ...

ugh ... I kinda want to dabble with EVE and also Age of Conan. My desire to play EVE comes more from a "that game looks hella fun" frame of mind. But AOC looks like it'd be good for lolz, you can get buffs from tapping another character ... thats just funny.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun May 17, 2009 8:18 pm

In most games, you can only get mana!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon May 18, 2009 11:55 pm

So today while I was setting up my skill training for the next 24 hours, I saw someone in one of the n00b asteroid belts. They had a cargo container out, and said that anyone who wanted to could come take free ore. Then when people came up and took it, apparently the game registered that as stealing, and the person could kill the "thief" without reprisal from the cops.

What's crazy is how well it was working. There were people in local warning the n00bs, and there were a couple wrecks floating around them, and STILL people were coming in to get free ore. That's kind of mind-blowing; I have to think that n00bs that dumb are not going to go far in this game.

I did finally make my first run with a badger-load of trit. About 2.2 million isk, not bad for 3 hour's work.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Eve is a great game - it's the ultimate sandbox game, where I would say WoW is the ultimate thempark game. But yes, it is unrelentlessly vicious to the stupid. People who grew up on themeparks don't do well when dumped into detroit, apparently.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 pm

That appeals to me on a deep level. Although we'll find out if that's true the first time I'm cornered and ganked.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 am

hobokenbob wrote:But yes, it is unrelentlessly vicious to the stupid.

I like to consider myself not-stupid, and I consider EVE to be about as much fun as a good solid punch to the face.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 am

? I don't follow the line of reasoning there. Just because it's cruel to stupid people doesn't make it universally fun to all intelligent ones.

I got podded today. I wasn't paying attention and jumped into .4 space trying to sell tritanium at a better price. A pirate was waiting there and pretty much blew me apart in one hit while my pregnant cow of a badger was reorienting to warp to the station. Then he stasis'd my pod and blew that up for good measure.

I lost .5m trit in that, worth 2m isk. A much bigger loss than the actual ship.

I've got a destroyer now and I'm doing random combat missions and salvaging, making a ton of cash. I don't know what I want to do about mining just now. I feel like I'm going to need to get back into it because it makes cash fast, but I'm not sure how to do it. The mining barges and industrial frigates are tempting, but they're soft, soft targets, which I'm guessing draws pirates like a magnet. On the other hand, you have to get a really fucking huge ship to get anything that can hold anywhere near what they hold and still has guns.

They introduced another patch a day or two ago. Since then, my client occasionally freaks out after a jump. When it finishes loading the next zone, there's no objects, nothing but the space background, and the camera spins around randomly in a strobing fasion. I have to close the game and reopen it to make it stop. Pretty annoying.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed May 20, 2009 6:32 am

OMGBEES wrote:? I don't follow the line of reasoning there. Just because it's cruel to stupid people doesn't make it universally fun to all intelligent ones.

Probably true. I'm just feeling reactive today. Fucking union meetings.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 pm

it can be viscious to even very smart and talented players who did everything right but are simply unlucky or out gunned, but the eve playerbase seems to have reached the theoretical limit of efficiency as stated by the laws of thermodynamics when it comes to routing out and exploiting stupidity.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Eve has a tendancy to mis-state the size of things by 10^x. I think they probably convert it into a different set of units (all the units are metric) and then don't display the units. For instances, I was annoyed, having to shell out several million for a lambda class clone that held only 15,700 skill points. I've really been stressing on that, until I went in and looked at my clone. Turns out it's 15,700,000. Meaning, I significantly overpayed for what I need.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Today I was introduced to the concept of can-flipping. I've got an Osprey that mines very quickly, but doesn't have a lot of cargo space. So, you jettison it, which creates a cargo cannister with a huge amount of space.

Crafty thieves will come in while you're not paying attention, take your stuff, and put it into their own cannister. Then, when you go and take stuff out of what you think is your can, you steal from them, and they can legally kill you.

Too bad for him I have some active shield tanking and I know to allign to my destination before hand if I want to do a quick warp. I warped in, too my stuff back, and warped out.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm

this is when having a buddy with a cargo ship really comes in handy. one dedicated miner monitors the can at all times while the trucker hauls the ore back to market. this esp becomes important when you get the skills to run dedicated miner ships - their ability to strip ore far surpasses their modest cargo space.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu May 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Also if you plan to be a miner, think about putting some skills into drones, mining ships don't have guns but the bigger ones do have space for drones, and with a decent shield tank and good drones, you won't be forced to flee every time mobs show up at the 0.5 ish zones.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Right now I'm mostly in the .8 or .9 so that's all for the future. I'm just using mining as a financial base, I'm more interested in missioning.

I'm in a small corp but don't want to bug them to mine in pairs. And so far I haven't had any trouble handling myself.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 pm

I've re-enlisted, since WAR has completely failed to entertain me lately. Were are you located bees?

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm around Jita. I haven't logged in in a bit, my corp is perpetually at war, sometimes with multiple corps, which has gotten to be a serious pain in the ass. All I'm really getting out of them lately is occasionally decent advice on builds and an inability to mine.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Ah yeah War Dec sucks when you need to make money. Generally you never want to mission alone or mine when War Dec'd. Or autopilot. But if your corp isn't willing to finance your losses, it's also pretty hard to want to get into a ship and help fight when you're poor.

I'm currently in Gallente space, right now I'm in an NPC corp just keeping to myself and trying to turn out some cash. I've got some decent ships from my account but I'm cash poor, and cannot afford to re-insure my battleship - quiting and having all your insurance plans expire on you blows.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Yeah, I currently need 4 million or so to insure my BC.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”