Anyone ever try Eve Online?

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 pm

I found a 21-day free trial for EVE on Steam. I have decided to give it another go because, well, FREE, and I want to make sure my initial impressions were not mistaken.

Plus, free. And I'm done with Plants vs. Zombies.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Is there any sort of "you should not attempt this mission if you are not at this level / don't have a bunch of friends with you" warning on the agent tasks? I tried to do an early lvl 3 mission called 'The Score', assuming that because I was able to access it so early on that I would probably be able to do it, but as soon as I got to the area, I was confronted with about 15 enemy ships, any one of which could've destroyed me in about 7 shots or so. It was obnoxious.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Missions access only has to do with your faction standings not whethr you can do them, sounds like you found out the "exciting" way.

In general:
lvl1 - noob missions any frigate should do
lvl2 - bring along a good frigate with good skills, better yet a destroyer or beginning cruiser
lvl3 - combat cruisers, BCs or for real overkill a BS
lvl4 - BSs with some nice tank, or better yet a fleet will make it go faster
lvl5 - some claim to be able to solo these with really good BS (Faction or T2) honesly even if you could it'd take the better part of a day, these are for fleet ops

I highly recommend the tutorials, there are also certain corps designed to help new players, eve university for example, is one I'm engaged in the process of joining both to help un-noobify myself and eventually help others.

Even if you don't want to join Eve Uni (and at the moment they are war dec so not really a good idea for a new player), join their player channel "eve university" for helpful advice.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 am

Oh my god, this is very much one game where you should NEVER. SKIP. THE TUTORIAL.

I'm amazed no one told you that in noob!
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:00 am

Oh, I didn't skip the tutorial. But mission difficulty ratings are not something it covered all that well, at least not that I recall. I have a lot of the individual tutorials that aren't part of the introductory one to go through yet, though.

Unfortunately, much of it is irrelevant... Even if I do find myself getting into the game, I'm not going to be able to justify / afford the monthly costs once my 21 days are up.

Missions access only has to do with your faction standings not whethr you can do them, sounds like you found out the "exciting" way.

Oh gods yes. I got to the mission area, saw three ships off away from the main group, and figured I'd tackle them first. So I head towards them, and as soon as I get into range, my shields and armor were decimated in about 6 shots. Luckily, I managed to warp out in time.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 am

Yeah i'm not sure if mission danger was really well covered in any sort of official stuff, all the more reason to lean on the playerbase. We've all dealt with the crazy steep learning curve in the game, so despite being right bastards to each other every chance they get, the playerbase can be surprisingly gracious to helping newbs with their questions.

here's a really nice machinima that blends HL2/Eve for an eve story for inspiration:
http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/John ... _Skies.wmv

(not a direct link to the WMV despite that ending)
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:00 am

I... really need to get some more heavy weapon slots. This civilian turret is a sad, sad thing.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:27 am

You're not going to get any heavy weapon slots in your first 21 days. Even at Battlecruiser you're still just looking at medium.

I think Battleship is where heavy starts?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:38 am

OMGBEES wrote:You're not going to get any heavy weapon slots in your first 21 days. Even at Battlecruiser you're still just looking at medium.

I think Battleship is where heavy starts?

I made a mistake there, I should have said high power, not heavy. I'm still getting used to weapons adjustment, and was really talking out my ass there... Picked up a Rifter frigate tonight, and it certainly seems to be set up better than the Reaper the game starts you with. I also have a Burst and a Wreathe, which I can't use because I can't train in the necessary skill on a trial.

How is it I'm supposed to make more space for ammo? I try to load on ammo for a 280mm howitzer that I've got, and it tells me I only have x amount of space in that container, which ends up being enough for 12 shots. Call me crazy, but I think I'm going to want more ammo on hand than that.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 am

Aren't Howitzers artillery? You will have a hard time hitting small ships with that.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 am

OMGBEES wrote:Aren't Howitzers artillery? You will have a hard time hitting small ships with that.

Yeah, I switched it out for something more appropriate. The howitzer was purchased in a fit of "Ooh, bigger gun!" Also figured out the ammo thing, which in retrospect should have been obvious. I've torn through a couple of missions now with my new setup pretty quickly.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 am

Nice! There's definitely a harsh curve, but that makes it feel so much better when shit comes together.

Do you have good online resources?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:12 am

I've been looking over the wiki whenever I need advice; that's been about it so far. As I told someone I was just chatting with in-game, I'm taking things slowly this time and making sure I get a good feel for the game to see if it's something I'm going to want to continue with.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:20 am

Okay, well, if you want some links there are four things that are very useful.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Rifters are some of the most popular frigates in the game (they and the kestrel - the caldari all missle frigate), so the real fun combat can begin - their best asset is their speed and mobility and while this makes them great platforms for autocannons, you don't have to write off use of small artillery - although the general rule in combat is: pick one type of gun, mixing different optimum ranges just reduces your effectiveness

To use long rage weapons on frigates (ie howitzers/beam lasers/railguns), manage your optimum range to target and their angular velocity to you. Be sure to check what your optimum + falloff ranges are to your weapons and current ammo (different ammo can affect range), set the optimum range as your default orbit range, as long as your ship is faster than your target you can control the range of the engagement. being faster than your target also allows you to reduce its angular velocity relative to you while keeping your av to them high (by orbiting).

weapon accuracy is calculated by the angular velocity of the target, bigger and longer range guns turn slowly, so a nimble target and move too fast for guns to track. useful mods to help mitigate slow tracking guns or a fast target are:

stasis webifiers - these slow down the target ship by alot effectively making them sitting ducks

targeting computers - increases effective range and tracking speed of your turrets, can be fitted with "scripts" in the same way you would load ammo to do a bigger boost to tracking or range at the expense of the other bonus. (not to be confused with sensor boosters or target painters)

propulsion mods like afterburners, or overdrive injectors - the faster you are the better you are able to control your targets angular velocity and range relative to your guns.

In this way I've been able to easily kite down NPC targets that had short range weapons without receiving a scratch.

Personally I enjoy frigates more than any other ship in the game - Battleship combat by comparison is very dry and sterile - to slow and hard to maneuver, they rely on huge tanking skills and big big guns to slug it out over vast distances, or warping point blank into a fight and dropping innapropriate amounts of DPS on everything. fun to watch but not really any tactics to it (just skill and $).

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Right now, I've got the civilian autocannon on it still. Not the strongest thing in the universe, but unlimited ammo is handy. And at this point in the game, it still does relatively sufficient damage.

Also have:

125mm gatling autocannon loaded with carbonized lead s shot
a Miner I

2 expanded cargohold I
200mm reinforced steel plates I. There's a speed penalty with those, but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

Unfortunately, I can't use Stasis Webifiers in trial. I'll look into your other suggestions, though. I'm starting to bump up against a few things that require the use of skills I'm not allowed to train in right at the moment.

My last mission, I had to run through about 5 npc mercenary ships in sequence. They did a barely measurable amount of damage to even my shields.

OMGBEES wrote:Okay, well, if you want some links there are four things that are very useful.

Yeah, go for it :) Thanks for the help, you two.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Eve Central aggregates market data, so you can easily look up what things cost in various regions. You can also put in a region, and it will suggest good buy low/sell high trade routes.

This is a list of NPC damage types; what type of damage they do, and what they're weak to.

Battle Clinic allows people to upload their loadouts for ships, and lets other people comment on their effectiveness, and I've just gone and spilled Diet Coke all over myself.

EveMon helps you plan out character skills.

EFT allows you to experiment with your loadout in an offline program. It can import your skills which is pretty sweet. It'll let you see things like the different DPS of various loadouts, your maximum range, etc.

Eve Agents Allows you to look for new agents. It's pretty useful when you get tired of farming the same guy over and over.

On your loadout, I would take out the miner unless you are actually mining - they have extremely high power/CPU requirements. If you come across a deadspace mission with asteroids, finish it, go home and fit the miner, and then go back and forth between the asteroids before turning the mission in.

Also get rid of that civilian module ASAP, it really is no good.

Lastly, you might want to look into fitting a salvager I if you are doing that much missioning.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Is it weird that I vastly prefer Coke over Pepsi, but if it's diet it has to be Diet Pepsi and not Diet Coke?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 pm

No, I don't think so. I like Diet Coke because it tastes more like battery acid. Diet Pepsi is sweeter and easier on the stomach.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Try Diet Moxie.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”