The Oblivion Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 am

The only times I've had any form of train wreck with this game generally involve quitting out. At times it can take more than 5 minutes as everything seizures.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

noumena
dr jerkass

Postby noumena » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:56 pm

I've had no crash issues whatsoever.

I'm considering starting over yet again (*argh*). The main character I've been playing is a darkelf nightblade, who levels very quickly. However my High Elf heavy magic-using character can do everything he can do at half the level and much easier. I think this may just be a function of magic being substantially more powerful than the starting weapons are. Perhaps I just need to replace my stupid Iron Claymore and things will get better.

That said, this game is continuing to kick all kinds of ass, and I haven't even been to all the cities yet.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:17 pm

The ability to make your own spells specifically tailored to your needs, I think, is probably the most potent ability in the game, as well as being able to enchant your own stuff. This is also probably the reason why some NPC (can't remember the name) makes a comment about almost everyone being a member of the arcane university, even people that don't exclusively study magic, and also why it's so arduous just getting your foot into the door.

You can simulate almost every ability in the game with a created item, or spell, at least for a short while.

noumena
dr jerkass

Postby noumena » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm

I think what makes the high elf magic user so powerful, is that he has over twice as much magicka as my nightblade, coupled with much higher willpower (I think it is) that allows him to almost endless cast the low cost spells over and over again. And these lower cost spells still seem to do more damage than a single strike with my iron claymore.

Also, I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the mobs scales.. so that could be part of why things were easier with level 4 mage type than a level 8 nightblade. Does anyone know anything about mob scaling in difficulty with your level? I did notice when I did the Gray Prince quest as a level 8 I had to deal with timber wolves, which were replaced by simple rats for my level 4.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Kauser wrote:The ability to make your own spells specifically tailored to your needs...

How robust is the system to create your own spells? Is it kind of like Eternal Darkness, where you are essentially just given words (verb, noun, god, and adjective) and have to form sentences? Or is it more like, "Okay I'm given a basic fireball spell. Now I'm going to modify it to shoot at three guys and explode when it hits them. Also it'll heal me." I remember thinking about my dream weapon in Quake, where you could hold the button down like the lightning gun, do the damage of a rail gun, and have the spread of the shotgun. Could I make a spell like that?

noumena
dr jerkass

Postby noumena » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:03 pm

I think the spell creation is pretty powerful, and you have a lot of ability to do what you want. However, I'm pretty sure that any spell that is too powerful will cost more magicka than you will ever actually have, thereby making it impractical. I haven't gotten far enough to make my own spells yet though.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:03 pm

As for tailoring a spell like that, the short answer, Yes.

You name the spell whatever you like.

You pick effects from the spells you already know, for example you need to know at least one lightning spell to create a new one.

You pick targetting, Target, Touch, Self. Target casts at range on whom you're targeting, it's projectile based, so you can miss. Touch is cast on people within melee range, Self, is well, Self targetting.

You pick area of effect, this is the single most costly spell attribute. a radius 10 max damage fireball costs me one third my total mana (over 120). This allows you to hit people with splash damage from the point of impact.

You pick Magnitude, 1-100, this is either the second most or third most important factor when determining mana and monetary cost, right behind Target Vs Touch, and Area of effect. This simply is the magnitude of the spell, generally in damage, attribute buffing, healing, or time in seconds.

Finally Duration. This is probably up there along with Magnitude as far as costliness if you're talking about a damage spell, else it's relatively inexpensive, generally because it's the number of seconds that the magnitude is good for. a 100 damage 5 duration lightning storm deals 100 damage every second for 5 seconds. A summon for 5 seconds creates a critter to fight for you for 5 seconds, a health spell that last for 5 seconds will let you regen the magnitude for 5 seconds, and so on and so forth.

Everything else is up to the creator's tastes.

Only one problem, you can only ever summon ONE(1) creature with a spell.

Sample Spell:

Spell Name: Bitter Flame

Duration 0

Area 10

Effects 100 Damage on Target
Effects 100% Weakness to Fire on Target

This is the spell that takes 1/3 my mana, suprisingly the 100% weakness only accounted for about 50 gold and 10 mana out of the whole equation.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:08 pm

The gold payment is to create the spell, or to cast it?

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:14 pm

Create-o.

Mr. Peanut
Disciple

Postby Mr. Peanut » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Kauser wrote:Sample Spell:

Spell Name: Bitter Flame

Duration 0

Area 10

Effects 100 Damage on Target
Effects 100% Weakness to Fire on Target

This is the spell that takes 1/3 my mana, suprisingly the 100% weakness only accounted for about 50 gold and 10 mana out of the whole equation.

Does the weakness to fire affect the 100 fire damage immediatly, or only the following spells you hit the target with?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:33 pm

I'm under the impression that it's immediately, as all other literature I've read on the matter leads me to believe. (I believe it's also one of the "tips" in the game itself.) Though I have no way to calculate this empirically.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:40 pm

I have discovered that it is not always a good idea to leave the main quest on hold while you spend twelve levels raping the countryside for alchemy ingredients. I would suggest doing the Kvatch Oblivion gate and courtyard clearing mission early on, because the types of Daedra spawned are based on your level. Conversely, the guards spawned to help you pretty much stay the same.

[hide]I cleared that fucking courtyard by myself, sneaking from shadow to shadow, shooting the hell out of stuff with my badass elven bow. Then I called in the cavalry and the whole courtyard respawned. They'd run in, aggro the whole damn courtyard and die, and then I'd be stuck with trying to kill four flame atronachs and three clannfears at once. Goddamn it. I actually had to turn the difficulty slider down, even though I could pretty much clear the whole damn thing by myself given enough time. So yeah... levelled daedra are bad.[/hide]

Edit: also, mountain lions are of the devil. Goddamn in-the-dark seeing motherfuckers.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 pm

It's fine, l2p.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:29 pm

nobody_important wrote:I have discovered that it is not always a good idea to leave the main quest on hold while you spend twelve levels raping the countryside for alchemy ingredients. I would suggest doing the Kvatch Oblivion gate and courtyard clearing mission early on, because the types of Daedra spawned are based on your level. Conversely, the guards spawned to help you pretty much stay the same.

I must've picked that knowledge up subconciously somewhere, because as I was playing the opening parts of the game I was thinking to myself "go exploring after you've been to Kvatch."

..And I haven't touched the storyline since. I got sent on a mission back to the Imperial City to find some guy and 70 days later I'm decorating my house in Anvil. I wonder if they're sat in their little temple place just wondering where I am..

:rotate:

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:05 pm

So I started a Nord Warrior last night, heavy armor, rotating between axe and sword. They're fun to play.

Also, early on, some might be tempted to fast travel everywhere, don't you'll run into so many map markers if you don't, which helps fast travel later on when you're looking for more obscure areas.

EDIT: Same here, none of my characters have progressed the story past the cloud temple

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:14 am

What the shit is this I hear about Bethesda making a horse armor addon for download, but charging $2 for it? That's weak. I also heard that you won't be able to import any new models into the construction set, which is equally weak because I was looking forward to modeling out some trick-ass weapons and suits of armor.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:33 am

I wouldn't worry; there's nothing that people can't find a way around.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:00 am

Yeah, it might take longer and all that jazz, but patience is key! Look at where Morrowind is now.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:53 pm

The Leyawinn Mage's Guild Recommendation Quest, or "You don't have to play an MMORPG to find dumb bastards":

[hide]
Me: "Wow, look at that minotaur and dryad down there. I'm low on arrows from shooting the shit out of all of those marauders. I think I'll sneak around them and steal the amulet, and they'll be none the wiser."
Dryad: *giggle*
Minotaur: *snuurrghhhhrrunnnttt*
Me: *sneak, sneak, sneak*
Minotaur: *groan*
Me: "Hooray, I've found the amulet! Now to sneak back out again." *sneak, sneak, sneak*
Fuckhead from Mage's Guild: "HAY GUYZ! I AM HERE TO KILLZ TEH KHAJIT!"
Dryad: *sound of pure and utter rage*
Minotaur: "SMASH"
Fuckhead: "Oh shit, now I wish I hadn't locked the door behind me"
Me: "..."
[/hide]
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Tobliz wrote:Yeah, it might take longer and all that jazz, but patience is key! Look at where Morrowind is now.

True, but I think all the offical Morrowind mods were always free. Also I don't think there was ever a block on the construction set that held people back from importing new meshes.
Regardless, wait and see I guess.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”