The Oblivion Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:02 am

Kauser wrote:Skills that you don't consciously use are always bad choices for major skills.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Honestly though, this character has panned out pretty well for my first attempt.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:44 pm

You're luckier than some. Too many skills like that typically makes a character almost unplayable, you either can't level effectively because it's too hard to repeatedly use your major skills, or it's too easy to level, and you wind up horrifically skewed and have to face harder enemies before you have the real skills needed for the fight.

Every 2 points in a skill gives you a +1 to it's controlling stat, and every 10 full points in major skills, distributed however, will give you a level.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Kauser wrote:You're luckier than some. Too many skills like that typically makes a character almost unplayable, you either can't level effectively because it's too hard to repeatedly use your major skills, or it's too easy to level, and you wind up horrifically skewed and have to face harder enemies before you have the real skills needed for the fight.

Every 2 points in a skill gives you a +1 to it's controlling stat, and every 10 full points in major skills, distributed however, will give you a level.

Yeah early on I made the mistake of using all my magic skills to level ridiculously quick, so when I went to Kvatch I was fighting things like Clannfears and those big grey Daedra. That was a really hard quest.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:39 pm

The trick is to keep track of your skill ups, level minor skill a 10 points, then minor skill b 10 points, then major skill c 10 points.

That will guarantee you +5's next to the governing stats; just make sure you level the major skill last.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Or you could just have fun, play the game without worrying about stats and not end up with a gimped character.

'Cause that's what I did.

:rotate:

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Kauser wrote:The trick is to keep track of your skill ups, level minor skill a 10 points, then minor skill b 10 points, then major skill c 10 points.

That will guarantee you +5's next to the governing stats; just make sure you level the major skill last.

I'd rather just play the game.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:34 pm

shorty wrote:I'd rather just play the game.

By intentionally hamstringing yourself?

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:17 pm

I find that min/maxing your characters your first time through tends to ruin the game, at least it does for me.

I play it straight the first time then delve into the science and mechanics of character creation.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:19 am

Kauser wrote:
shorty wrote:I'd rather just play the game.

By intentionally hamstringing yourself?

Uhh....I don't see how playing through with one poorly chosen skill and without paying special attention to levelling certain skills is hamstringing myself but whatever.

Tobliz wrote:I find that min/maxing your characters your first time through tends to ruin the game, at least it does for me.

I play it straight the first time then delve into the science and mechanics of character creation.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:42 pm

I think neither of you have a real grasp of what I'm saying.

As for Min/Maxing your character, that's actually what you are doing by not watching your skills. You are maximizing your character in one area, and becoming deficent in another area hence Min/Max, all because of playstyle.

Now if you pay attention to your character, and say, change up weapons, or armor from time to time, you will end up with a more rounded character, and in the end won't have to touch the difficulty slider once you hit level 15.

Tobliz's comment is oxymoronic at best when considering Oblivion.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:04 am

So as I mentioned in What 'cha Playing, I started this again. I got my first Glass cuirass and I started to enchant it when I discovered something monumentally stupid: Elven armor can be enchanted with a Shield 20%, but Glass armor can only be enchanted 10%, thus making it completely and irrevocably useless. This pisses me off because Glass looks far more badass than Elven. Blarg.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Isn't glass a poor choice for armor material? I mean, you get hit and not only do you not have it anymore, but it also cuts the shit out of you.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:16 pm

shorty wrote:So as I mentioned in What 'cha Playing, I started this again. I got my first Glass cuirass and I started to enchant it when I discovered something monumentally stupid: Elven armor can be enchanted with a Shield 20%, but Glass armor can only be enchanted 10%, thus making it completely and irrevocably useless. This pisses me off because Glass looks far more badass than Elven. Blarg.

Enchanting is based on Soul Stone Sizes now (when last I checked), not armor type like in morroind?

I know I've enchanted clothes to 20% and I've enchanted Ebony, will have to try with glass.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Isn't glass a poor choice for armor material? I mean, you get hit and not only do you not have it anymore, but it also cuts the shit out of you.

In Morrowind, glass is traditionally the best!

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:21 pm

Kauser wrote:
shorty wrote:So as I mentioned in What 'cha Playing, I started this again. I got my first Glass cuirass and I started to enchant it when I discovered something monumentally stupid: Elven armor can be enchanted with a Shield 20%, but Glass armor can only be enchanted 10%, thus making it completely and irrevocably useless. This pisses me off because Glass looks far more badass than Elven. Blarg.

Enchanting is based on Soul Stone Sizes now (when last I checked), not armor type like in morroind?

I know I've enchanted clothes to 20% and I've enchanted Ebony, will have to try with glass.

It's supposed to be based entirely on soul stone size, but this experience leads me to believe that maybe there's a bug somewhere. Or I'm missing something obvious. That is entirely possible.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 am

I started playing this! I'm ... hip?

I must say that when it crashes, it crashes hard. I've had 3 automatic reboots and one complete freezeup requiring a hard reset. Probably there are some patches or something. In particular, I can't talk to Glarthir in Skingrad because it crashes when i try to go to a menu afterwards - I think because his subtitle stays on the screen. Wait, I could try turning off subtitles. Never mind.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 am

If you're playing on PC there's a few official and some non-official patches that basically make the game playable. At the very least you should be using some variant of BTMod to make the UI more suitable to PCs and a keyring mod.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 am

Yeah, the modability of that game was the strongest selling point. The rest of it was pretty dull for me. I robbed people blind for a while, until I realized that 1. no one cared unless 2. they cared for no good reason, and I got bored and uninstalled it.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 am

I applied an official patch so maybe it will crash less. I heard that the monsters scale up with you so my Morrowind style of playing where I just get distracted by every shiny quest that wanders past is probably a liability. I resolved to maybe go along the main quest line as much as possible but all of a sudden I appear to be in Hell, and I'm only level 4. So far Hell is surprisingly forgiving but if any monsters show up that are tougher than "stunted scamps" I am probably stuffed.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”