The Oblivion Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

The Oblivion Thread

Postby nobody_important » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:09 am

Looks like a few of us have purchased this hulking monstrosity of a game already. I figured I'd start an official Oblivion thread in here to keep "What cha playin?" from getting bogged down. I'll try to keep stuff specifically related to quests or the main plot spoilered.

Thieves Guild first mission spoiler.[hide]
Anyway, I'm currently up in Bruma stealing everything that isn't nailed down in an attempt to fence 50g worth of stolen goods. It's kind of annoying because the fence only seems to recognize things that were explicitly stolen (red hand icon when you pick it up, or red open icon on the container housing the item.) I've dumped almost 100g worth of crap onto him so far, and he's only recognized about 38g of it. Also, 1g items seem to not register at all. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the game, or he's not recognizing the price I set with mercantile, or what. I'm not overly worried, though, because I'm having a lot of fun breaking into houses currently.
[/hide]

The stealth mechanics are a lot more fun this time around. It's not quite Thief, but it's definitely more challenging. Also, I've noticed that magic seems much more useful early on in the game. Mysticism has really been helping me out recently. I was able to track the occupants of the house I was burgling just by throwing Detect Life out periodically. I haven't tried to shoplift with telekinesis yet... I'll probably do that tonight. Illusion magic seems like it'll be really useful, too, but I only have the light spell so far (which isn't the most stealthy of actions, all things considered.) I'm hoping to make a ton of money in Bruma, and then bet / compete in the Imperial Arena until I can afford a house in the city. I'll probably attempt the main quest at some point, but I want to be able to hold my own in a fight before I get too far in.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:50 am

The mere fact that npcs can leave buildings now has opened this game up to a world of crazy awesome.
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:13 am

Just finished the Brotherhood questline. It was excellent.

Edit: tee hee

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Finished the Dark Brotherhood and Grey Fox lines! (Take that, goor!)

They're both excellent, but it is universally agreed upon that Grey Fox looks like an idiot.

I'm also pretty far into the main storyline, but I won't go into details. Just finished a major, major battle (epic!) that was actually timed. That was a neat aspect.

I also have some mysticism, but I kind of wish I went easy on Security for that magic branch with lockpicking crap.

Yeah, I like the game a lot :p I'm unable to play for a week, though. Gonna be long.

Lethe
Colonel Catfork

Postby Lethe » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:36 pm

Unnnnngh! I want so bad.

Interesting that the stealth mechanics have changed. I played a Thief in Morrowind and fucking owned shit...can you give me the nitty gritty?

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Ooooh, nice evil horse.

I just started the Dark Brotherhood stuff, and I'm really excited about it. I liked the concept of legal assassinations via the Morag Tong, but in practice it just felt like I was cheating every time I waved one of the writs of execution. The Dark Brotherhood, on the other hand, seems like it will give me more than my fair share of evil motherfuckerdom. I've been practicing my best evil voice in anticipation.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:18 pm

All these screenshots and stories make me think that maybe I do want to play this game. I'll have to get it at some point.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:06 pm

Lethe wrote:Unnnnngh! I want so bad.

Interesting that the stealth mechanics have changed. I played a Thief in Morrowind and fucking owned shit...can you give me the nitty gritty?

Well, the shadows play a much larger part in sneaking this time around. There's no light gem like you have in thief, but your targeting reticle goes opaque of anyone can currently see you. Additionally, the NPCs seem quite a bit smarter. If you disappear in a shop, for example, the NPC will probably go looking for you instead of just standing in one place and smiling innanely. They can also follow you through doors, and have their own schedules generated by Radiant AI. I broke into one mansion early on in the game, only to find its owner blocking the doorway when I was ready to leave.

You can be caught and fined just for tresspassing, which makes things a lot more tense. If you try to gack someone and he manages to yell, you'll have the watch on your case with alarming speed. I've heard this can lead to some funny Radiant AI stuff, though. Someone on the PA boards said that he got chased out of a house he was attempting to burgle and met two guards. The guards attacked his pursuer and filled him full of arrows before wishing him a pleasant evening. So yeah... stealth is still a lot of fun, it's just more difficult to use properly.

Lockpicking is quite a bit different, too. You can either attempt to auto-pick the lock (similar to Morrowind), or play a little minigame where you have to jam the tumblers in place manually. Locks no longer have a numerical difficulty. Instead they're rated from "very easy" to "very hard", which corresponds to the number of tumblers you have to open. A failed attempt snaps your pick in half and resets a number of tumblers depending on your current skill level. I'm not really sure if this makes the game easier or harder overall. I was able to pop open a Very Hard lock on a display case and swipe one of the Akivari Katanas inside through trial and error, so it's probably as abusive as it was before... you just have to work a little harder for it.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:07 pm

I'm liking it on 360. Bit chuggy at times, but beautiful.
At the moment I'm running around near Bruma doing quests there. :) [hide]The quest with the stolen gold and the vampire hunter are in progress.[/hide]

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:05 pm

Heh, the gold quest made me laugh.

[hide]
When the quest log said you had to go to prison before the guy will trust you, I just turned around and punched the guard in the face. Didn't even think about it twice. Goddamn it felt good... he was annoying.[/hide]

dogmeat wrote: I have an Imperial. And despite my best efforts to the contrary, my character still looks like Arnold Vosloo. I was trying to make it look a bit like me...

I messed around with my cat person for a long time until I found something I liked. I really didn't have anything in mind when I started, I just wanted to look like something other than the stereotypical orange tiger person. The next day I loaded up the game and realized that I'd turned my character into a bobcat without really thinking about it, which was all kinds of awesome. I'll try to get a shot with my digital camera tonight.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:11 pm

I just got into the thieve's guild in my game.

So much to do.
i before e except after a few beers

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:26 pm

The quests are so amazingly improved over Morrowind that it makes me doubt my sanity. At one point I was reading a journal written by a madman, and as the writing progressed the questline events leading up to that point all started to click. With the last few missions after that it all felt like watching a great season of a TV show.

The missions do seem a bit more hand-holdey than I'd like, but at the same time it means there's always somewhere to go and something to do. Often as well the difficulty of a certain task makes up for it.

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:08 am

someone please help me to stop playing this game
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:32 am

Funk wrote:someone please help me to stop playing this game

I think you may be appealing to the wrong crowd for this kinda help :)
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:26 am

GOOR wrote:The missions do seem a bit more hand-holdey than I'd like, but at the same time it means there's always somewhere to go and something to do. Often as well the difficulty of a certain task makes up for it.

They are about a million times better than in Morrowind though.. "Hey, there's this guy North West of here. Steal some shit from him" is a lot more annoying than "Follow your compass."

I messed about with the face maker for ages until I realised what I'd made looked like an abomination of nature and I just used the randomiser.. So I think I'm about 10 minutes in anyway, just got out of the sewers with my wood elf assasin and went for a wander.

:rotate:

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:44 pm

There are also a few quests that are more like a detective show, no clues or anything. You're given a name or an item to steal and you have to hunt it down. Talking to people will give you hints and all that.

It's really satisfying when you finally gather the clues you need and track down your target.

And as much as I loved the Dark Brotherhood, I personally think the last Grey Fox mission is the best one by far.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:39 pm

SporkAndrew wrote:
I messed about with the face maker for ages until I realised what I'd made looked like an abomination of nature and I just used the randomiser.. So I think I'm about 10 minutes in anyway, just got out of the sewers with my wood elf assasin and went for a wander.

Same, wood elf agent here though.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Kauser wrote:Same, wood elf agent here though.

I just couldn't resist the massive bonuses that Wood Elves got to security and agility, really..

And I'm not much of a fantasy names person, so I just called him Boris.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:48 pm

I tend to play rogue types. This time around at least I don't have to suck in combat to play one.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:05 pm

Pump strength! Try to get the bonuses on level up.

I've maxed out agility but my strength is at about 70, 80. I'm dumb as shit though.

Hooo yeah.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”