The Oblivion Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:32 pm

nobody_important wrote:The Leyawinn Mage's Guild Recommendation Quest, or "You don't have to play an MMORPG to find dumb bastards":

[hide]
Me: "Wow, look at that minotaur and dryad down there. I'm low on arrows from shooting the shit out of all of those marauders. I think I'll sneak around them and steal the amulet, and they'll be none the wiser."
Dryad: *giggle*
Minotaur: *snuurrghhhhrrunnnttt*
Me: *sneak, sneak, sneak*
Minotaur: *groan*
Me: "Hooray, I've found the amulet! Now to sneak back out again." *sneak, sneak, sneak*
Fuckhead from Mage's Guild: "HAY GUYZ! I AM HERE TO KILLZ TEH KHAJIT!"
Dryad: *sound of pure and utter rage*
Minotaur: "SMASH"
Fuckhead: "Oh shit, now I wish I hadn't locked the door behind me"
Me: "..."
[/hide]

Priceless.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:39 pm

I think I levelled a bit too quickly. I'm getting my ass kicked by necromancers. And vampiric gladiators. Not nice. Might restart. Dunno.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:06 pm

It's not about levelling too quickly. It's about equipment, tactics and maybe a bit of planning!

You want to try to get higher bonuses, so try to mix in a few minor skills to give you that stat boost!

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:43 pm

When things start getting too hard, I stop sleeping. That generally fixes the leveling situation.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:32 pm

So, finished the Dark Brotherhood questlines:

[hide]Am I the only one that instead of waiting for the traitor to reveal himself in the company of the Night Mother herself, I'd have just plonked the mother's head down infront of everyone in Applewatch and seen whichever one freaked out most..? I mean the head is nice enough, sat proud on a chair infront of my fireplace in Anvil, but it would've been fun to do something with it..

Anyway, that ends a frankly awesome batch of quests, and looking back, it was a bit obvious that someone was switching my dead drops. I mean the orders went from nicely sealed envelopes to ratty bits of paper..[/hide]

:rotate:

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:38 pm

I bought the Cheydinhhal house last night, which is a fairly nice looking piece of property with two floors and an inviting fireplace. That's about it. I need to go kill bandits for a while to buy furniture, but at least I have somewhere to dump my excess alchemy ingredients and clothes.

My next house will be Skingrad, I think. That place looks awesome.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:46 am

nobody_important wrote:My next house will be Skingrad, I think. That place looks awesome.

That's probably the hardest one to get, you need a minimum fame, need to complete 2 quests, and then you have to pay 25k for it.

Might've been easier just to make the countess my tongue puppet.

PsychoLarry1
Secretly a Robot

Postby PsychoLarry1 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:11 pm

So my copy is shipping now, and I'm wondering what you guys wuold say the hour count on this game is. Nor neccesarily the do everything count, though that's what I'll try for, just the minimum amount of time this game will suck out of my life.
Last edited by PsychoLarry1 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was funny once...once

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:41 am

50 hours before your next of kin finds you dead in your bathroom.

noumena
dr jerkass

Postby noumena » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:45 pm

I find that Oblivion is pretty awesome for taking as much time or as little as you want. Maybe it is just because this is the first game I've played since WoW took over my life a year or so ago, but sometimes I play for an hour, sometimes I play for 5 or more. I have a feeling I'll be playing for months at this rate however, so if you are in a rush to "beat the game" you'll have to dedicate quite a bit of time.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:56 pm

noumena wrote:I find that Oblivion is pretty awesome for taking as much time or as little as you want.

I totally agree. I can either sit down and just potter around for an hour doing the side-quests that you come across in each city / hamlet, or just lose a good few hours to doing a huge amount of quests for one of the guilds..

I'm working on the Fighter's Guild missions at the moment, and it's a real disappointment after going through some amazing DB / theives guild / mage's guild missions. I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if it wasn't just "clear out this cave of creatures," "get me 5 ectoplasm" or "keep this suicidal dingus alive" missions constantly..

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:01 am

Ok I take back what I said about the Fighter's Guild. Towards the end it was a lot of fun..

Anyway, what am I supposed to do now? I've completed all the guilds I can think of: fighters, mage, theives, done the dark brotherhood quests and am grand champion of the arena.. Am I going to have to resort to doing the main storyline?

I might actually try and finish off some of the un-finished quests in my journal.. I went through a phase of collecting the side-quests and not actually doing them.

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:42 pm

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=129

A pretty funny review of Oblivion. Shines a lot of light on some of the weaker aspects of the game.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Fri May 26, 2006 6:43 pm

Well I finally acquired this game. I played the beginning portion at my friend's house. I made a new class which was essentially halfway between a nightblade and a battlemage.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

noumena
dr jerkass

Postby noumena » Fri May 26, 2006 7:25 pm

I got sick of my heavy armor melee based warrior type. Restarted the game with a mage and I'm finding the game much more enjoyable.. we'll have to see if it lasts though.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri May 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Shoes. On roofs. Might restart and endeavour to get shoes on a roof in every town.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Undead in this game are a pain in the ass.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:10 pm

The undead nearly ruined the last Theives Guild quest for me.

I just stocked up on fire spells / scrolls and that did me alright though..

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:44 pm

I've got a few staves that I use to kill the more annoying varieties. Like Wraiths. Hate those guys.

Also: I shouldn't have picked Acrobatics for one of my major skills. Armorer would have been a much better choice.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Skills that you don't consciously use are always bad choices for major skills.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”