The Oblivion Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Yeah I'm a marksman too.

Oblivion is just such a great thief/assassin game its almost too hard to pass up.
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 pm

I'm starting to think that you can probably do any class equally as well, including more civilized ones like "Herbalist" or "Huckster"
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:19 pm

Sources have it that thieves/fighters have it easier, but anything is viable as long as you can beat shit up.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Or are incredibly creative.

Newsflash.

I can sneak and steal with my mage better than with my agent. There's just a lot more collateral early on.

EDIT: I just found Azura's Shrine last night. It's back, so is the reusable god's own soulgem. All you have to do is kill 5 vampires. (well, it takes glowdust from a dead will-o-the-wisp just to commune with azura to get the quest, but I digresss....)

EDIT #2: Anyone got a line on the highest selling potion in the game yet?

EDIT #3: It's going to be a very sad day when I show up to Jauffree to give him the king's amulet and, am level 12, am leader of the guild mages, and have a house worth more than his Town. (that's the target goal anyway.)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:18 pm

The only house I've got is the Anvil house. And a sweet house it is.

Anyway, I can't play until Sunday evening as of now, and I'm stuck on a Theives Guild quest given to me by the Gray Fox:

[hide]So I'm supposed to steal an arrow from some mage. So I go into the castle, break into the Lord's Manor bit, find the guys room and sack the place. After finding nothing useful I see a "moveable pillar" and head down into this grotto thing. I walked all over a Daerda guy, a conjourer and a Fire Anthroch, but the thing that's impeding my progress is a door.

I can't pick it, I need a key. I've looked all over the grotto, looked everywhere in the guy's room and I just can't find a key anywhere. There's one place on the map of the grotto that I can't get to either. There's a T-junction over some water, and on the map what is a nice clear passage is a dead end of rock. I've tried drinking my potion of the sea and diving underwater, only to end up coming out of a hatch in the middle of the bay..[/hide]

Anyone got any ideas? It's really starting to bug me..

:rotate:

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:05 pm

SporkAndrew wrote:[hide]So I'm supposed to steal an arrow from some mage. So I go into the castle, break into the Lord's Manor bit, find the guys room and sack the place. After finding nothing useful I see a "moveable pillar" and head down into this grotto thing. I walked all over a Daerda guy, a conjourer and a Fire Anthroch, but the thing that's impeding my progress is a door.
[/hide]

[hide] Have you tried pickpocketing the guy you're supposed to be stealing from?[/hide]

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:50 pm

Trolls then. What bastards. How do you kill 'em before they tear you to pieces? My old backpedalling flinging fireballs doesn't really work too well.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:21 pm

I backpedal, fire a few arrows and fireballs into them, and then jump over them and repeat the process. If I'm on a road, I'll try to lead them into a guard. Hand to hand with a troll is pretty much instant death for me, so I just try to kite and hope for the best. Also, if it's night time, I'll stealth and just keep sniping them for 3x damage. They usually can't find me in time.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:28 pm

I encountered my first in a cave. Not good. I abandoned for now. :)

Also, my horse has low health. Why do the fucking bandits go right for him then? Bastards. I'm guessing dropping him in a paddock will get him back to health? Him not having a healthbar's not much help.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:21 am

So, has anyone done Paranoia yet? Is it worth it? Money is awesome, but I'd like to know if it's more interesting than "follow schmuck X for eight hours and talk to batshit insane Wood Elf."
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:39 am

You may or may not be able to just lie to him. Cough cough.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:53 am

dogmeat wrote:I encountered my first in a cave. Not good. I abandoned for now. :)

Also, my horse has low health. Why do the fucking bandits go right for him then? Bastards. I'm guessing dropping him in a paddock will get him back to health? Him not having a healthbar's not much help.

Kill them with Fire.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them, with the mage anyway. I made a fireball spell that makes the target 100% weak against it. Takes over 100 mana to cast, but kills most things I encounter in one hit.

EDIT: The 100% weakness to fire part of the spell is insanely cheap. The place you get hit on custom spells are making them targeted vs touch, and area of effect. I was experimenting, and with an area of 10 you'll be all set against anything in the normal dungeon, or against general groups.

Anything beyond that is a.) too Expensive b.) useful only against levelling towns c.) requires more mana than you will ever ever get.

Also, Magical apparel has gone downhill. Apparently you can only put one effect into a ring, hood, hat, shirt, pants, codpiece, so on and so forth, and these effects are set depending on the soulgem you are using. Even with azura's gem with a lich inside, a ring of shield is still only going to net you 10% shield. The upshot is, it's not broken to the point where the game loses all challenge after you aquire the ability to farm.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:52 am

Kauser wrote:[hide] Have you tried pickpocketing the guy you're supposed to be stealing from?[/hide]

Man I feel so stupid now.

Thanks..

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:53 pm

I just did the quest set inside a painting, it's very cool looking.
i before e except after a few beers

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 pm

pablo banquo wrote:I just did the quest set inside a painting, it's very cool looking.

Yeah, that was cool. I found the Sir Robin technique quite useful. :)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Kauser wrote:[hide] Have you tried pickpocketing the guy you're supposed to be stealing from?[/hide]

Still can't find him:

[hide]So he's never in his room. I've been and had a look every hour from 12 midnight to about 3pm and there's no-one there. I can't ask anyone about him because all I get is the usual "oh he's shady stay away" spiel.

This is really irritating now.. I don't want to give up on the Thieves Guild altogether..[/hide]

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:13 pm

What's his name?

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Too bad my computer lacks the punch for this and I have no real inclination to by a X-Box 360. Just curious though, has the PC version been buggy? I had hell with Morrowind. I never did get to play it for more than 1 hour or so without it abruptly crashing to desktop.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:04 pm

I had to upgrade my drivers but it was smooth sailin' after that.

It crashes occasionally if I try to fast travel, but dealing with a nearby quest usually fixes that.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Kauser wrote:What's his name?

Doesn't matter now, I figured it out. But it was Farin Somethingorother. Lives in the Castle in Bravil:

[hide]Figured out where I was going wrong -- the missing passageway on the map. I had to dive down in some water and find a little cave which led to the other side of the locked door. Last time I tried diving down I ended up finding a Giant Slaughterfish and a hatch which led me out into the middle of the bay... But it turns out you don't need to dive down that far.[/hide]

And Dyna: It scales quite brilliantly. If you mess with the settings you will be able to get it running smoothish even on the minimum required specs..

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”