The Wii Thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

shorty
Floydian Hate

The Wii Thread

Postby shorty » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:45 am

So. The Wii. It is out now. Who's getting/has one? Impressions?

Edit:

I'll take care of Wii codes. PM your code to me (Shorty) if you want me to post it.

Funk: 2489 9814 3293 8141
Shorty: 1493 0604 6777 3415
SporkAndrew: 7802 0290 6270 4797
Gobo: 7956 7339 1892 8817
Dogmeat: 2925 2569 0684 2088
Last edited by shorty on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:48 am

I'm gonna get one in a few months. Unless I snap and try to get one this week for the hell of it.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Wasn't available to camp out (etc) since I was on a plane, but I did check Best Buy, Circuit City, and Toys R Us on the way home. They were either sold out or had really long lines. I'll call around tomorrow and if that doesn't work, then I'll wait until they get new shipments. Whenever that will be.

Question. Do you need memory cards, or does it have a hard drive, or what? Also, does it come with component cables or do you have to buy those separately?

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:38 pm

Am about to head out to grab a memory card, extra controller and some games. Will have to wait a day or two before I get the actual system, as I'm getting it through work.
Can't wait for Zelda. Oh baby. Been a long time coming.

edit:
So I went around to a few places and was surprised to find them picked clean. I definatly didn't expect to find any systems for sale, but no controllers? No memory cards? No Zelda?!
They had several copies of other games that I had no interest in, or EA games that I can get for near free through work, so I didn't end up getting anything.
Disappointing. I'll have to make a continued search tomorrow during my lunch break.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Funk
Forum Hobbit

Postby Funk » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:13 am

I camped out from 1:45PM to midnight and got one

My Wii friend code is

2489 9814 3293 8141

and I think i threw my arm out playing wii baseball.
"The thing that used to worry him most was the fact that people always used to ask him what he was looking so worried about."

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:57 am

I was able to snag one at Target along with Zelda and an extra controller by waking up at five in the morning and standing in line for three hours. I have a spare 512 mb SD card.

I've spent some time with Zelda and so far it is exquisite.

I also picked up Red Steel and Trauma Center. Haven't played them yet.

t Bag: It does not come with component cables. Those cost extra and unfortunately I haven't heard of any retailer that had them at launch. For right now I'm pretty sure the only place to get them is direct from Nintendo's website. It doesn't have a hard drive but it does have 1GB of internal memory. At least, I think it's 1GB. That's used for system settings and save files. Also, don't buy the Nintendo SD cards because they are expensive. You can find better deals online.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:04 am

Funk wrote:and I think i threw my arm out playing wii baseball.

You have to warm up first! Is it me or is that awesome : /

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:15 am

Through a strategic analysis of the number of units all the Targets in my area were getting and then picking one that was had the highest shipment for how out of the way it was, a couple friends and myself picked the Target we felt would give us the highest chance to just show up an hour beforehand and get one.

When we got there there were 80 people for the 60 units the store was getting, so we just went to another Target right along two major Minneapolis highways, where we were around the 40th people in line for the 60 units that store was also getting.

So yeah, only played Zelda so far, and it is distilled awesome.

I had the foresight to order component cables before I had any idea when I'd get a Wii. The second I saw that they were up for sale (from a Digg story) I ordered some. I did this because I remembered how ungodly fast the Gamecube component cables sold out, so those should be here in a couple days.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 am

I have my component cables on preorder from Amazon, and my Wii preorder from an actual bricks n' mortar shop because I don't want to be waiting by the door from 7am-9pm which is our postman's usual time slot..

I just hope the shop I'm getting it from do a midnight opening because otherwise I'll be at work all day, pining.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:57 am

Am I the only one who's pointer doesn't point where I fucking point the remote, despite any amount of fiddling with the settings?

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:07 pm

shorty wrote:It doesn't have a hard drive but it does have 1GB of internal memory. At least, I think it's 1GB. That's used for system settings and save files. Also, don't buy the Nintendo SD cards because they are expensive. You can find better deals online.

So this means you can get away with not buying a memory card, at least for a while huh.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:43 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:
shorty wrote:It doesn't have a hard drive but it does have 1GB of internal memory. At least, I think it's 1GB. That's used for system settings and save files. Also, don't buy the Nintendo SD cards because they are expensive. You can find better deals online.

So this means you can get away with not buying a memory card, at least for a while huh.

So it's confirmed that there's nothing proprietary about Wii SD's? If so then I'll be using the same chip for my phone, video game system, and digital camera (provided I do wind up getting the Wii).
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:

It's actually 512mb, and it won't come with component cables, just composite. It's also able to output component or S video, but (at least the component) wires are propriatary
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:31 pm

I have one... how do I figure out my friend code?
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Immerse it in a tub of ice cold water. Its dying cries will be your Friend Code.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Today at lunch I bought Zelda for the Wii, but have no Wii to play it on :(

GOOR
hey

Postby GOOR » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing?

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Dynagrip wrote:Immerse it in a tub of ice cold water. Its dying cries will be your Friend Code.

Ok, but it'll take a while for me to make the i.... ooooh, I see what you're trying to do.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 pm

nobody_important wrote:
Dynagrip wrote:Immerse it in a tub of ice cold water. Its dying cries will be your Friend Code.

Ok, but it'll take a while for me to make the i.... ooooh, I see what you're trying to do.

I had to scroll back and see if I'd actually bolded that. Did I? Shit. I can't remember.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Someone commented on your bolding in another thread, so I decided to carry it over here.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”