Xbox 360

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh one other thing. It includes the original version (can't tell if it's the Dreamcast or PS2 version but it is not HD anyway). I tried it once for like 10 seconds before giving up and going back to the way the game was meant to be played. So jaggy and not widescreen.

I wouldn't go out and buy a 360 just for this, but if you are getting one for another reason there is pretty much no reason not to download it.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 am

Well, maybe if you are prone to siezures.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:22 am

Okay, guys, is there anyway to artificially inflate ones Reputation? My brother-in-law (in Iowa) has been inviting me to play Gears of War with a group of his friends, but because they don't particularly know me and I only have four-stars; the guy who always hosts is being a jackass and not letting me play.
I know Reputation inflating makes me look about as retarded as going after Achievements, but I would like to play with these guys, even if the host is an asshole.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:31 pm

. wrote:Okay, guys, is there anyway to artificially inflate ones Reputation? My brother-in-law (in Iowa) has been inviting me to play Gears of War with a group of his friends, but because they don't particularly know me and I only have four-stars; the guy who always hosts is being a jackass and not letting me play.
I know Reputation inflating makes me look about as retarded as going after Achievements, but I would like to play with these guys, even if the host is an asshole.

I think Rep is feedback related. I'm not sure whether users are notified if they get good feedback.

"Player reviews affect social matchmaking and rep. If you like someone, submit a positive ("prefer") player review. When you do, you'll be more likely to encounter them in games. Positive reviews (or no review at all) also boosts a player's rep (the stars on their gamer card)."

So play lots of multiplayer games and your rating will probably go up anyway. I guess you could ask everyone on here to leave positive feedback for you too... :)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Here's what I do: When I'm playing a game, I tell the people who are bad how bad they are until they quit. The rep loss from the guy who quits is not nearly as bad as the rep gain from the people who are thankful that that douchebag is gone. I've got four and a most stars because of it.

Note: You have to pick on someone who really, truly is a useless scab.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:26 am

Just got the Halo 3 achievements for beating the last level (50), beating normal campaign (125), heroic (125), and legendary (125) for a total of 425 all at once. For some reason I did not get the Marathon Man achievement for finding all the terminals...maybe I will have to go back and do that one again for it to kick in.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 am

Bag of Ass wrote:For some reason I did not get the Marathon Man achievement for finding all the terminals...maybe I will have to go back and do that one again for it to kick in.

You need to stay logged into each terminal until you're detected or the achievement won't unlock.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Yeah, I clicked through each one, including the auto-redirects, until the red symbol appeared. Maybe it is because I did not find them all in the right order. I missed the third one, and continued on to beat the game, then went back to get that third one (via a mid-mission start on a non-legendary difficulty), then went back to get the last one (legendary) again in case I have to get the last one last. Maybe they all have to be on the same difficulty...

So as far as I can tell, the bonus non-spoilery cutscene for beating it on legendary lasts like three seconds, and I do not know the significance of it. Anyone have any insight?

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm

I think you have to start from the beginning of the level for it to register. Same goes for skulls I gather.

I finished it on Heroic and I'm sure there's a lot more to see, as all I got was an epitaph to Master Chief as if he were dead.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:01 pm

dogmeat wrote:I finished it on Heroic and I'm sure there's a lot more to see, as all I got was an epitaph to Master Chief as if he were dead.

I think everyone sees that, and then they play the credits, and after that I think everyone sees another cutscene where they show that the Chief and Cortana survived but are drifting uselessly in space in the back half of the frigate; only the front half of it made it through the portal and that is how the Arbiter made it back to Earth. Anyway, Cortana turns on a beacon but says it may be years before anyone finds them, particularly since I think they are still near the Ark* which was outside of the Milky Way Galaxy. Master Chief puts himself into stasis and tells Cortana to wake him if she needs him.

Then after that there is a small cutscene that you see if you beat it on Legendary, where some unknown amount of time has passed, and they show something (presumably the piece of freighter with Cortana and the Chief) floating in space near a planet, and the planet appears to be heavily constructed similar to Coruscant from Star Wars. I guess it opens the story up to a sequel where the Cortana and the Chief go on a new adventure.

You can see the cutscenes here.

* Addendum: perhaps they are not still near the Ark. If the portal closed while the ship was still using it, they could potentially be stranded anywhere...probably somewhere between Earth and the Ark but who knows?

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Zsinj, I notice that you have gotten the Lord of the Strings achievement on Rock Band. My girlfriend has completed every song except Green Grass and High Tides, which she has failed repeatedly usually at the 80% mark but one time she got past it and failed at maybe the 81% or 82% mark that has a part which is exactly the same as the 80% part. How long did it take you to pass this song? Did you have to use the other fret buttons on the Fender controller? Do you have tips or whatever?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 am

I got my 360 back! I've been playing the Xbox version of Fatal Frame 2, which is a huge improvement on the first one, which was already incredible. I'm so buying the third one when I have the $100 or so to spend on it.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:44 am

I cannot get my Live to work. It's been four days now of trying everything I can think of. It just stopped working.

100 bucks, why, Bees Bees?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm

. wrote:I cannot get my Live to work. It's been four days now of trying everything I can think of. It just stopped working.

100 bucks, why, Bees Bees?

It's collectable and rare, it starts at about that price.

I've played about an hour of it previously, and it's the best of the series. Really, really awesome. There's this awesome moment where a character wakes up from this dream of being chased by this crazed woman, and she relaxes and exhales, then looks down and the woman is there and holding her arm. It's one of the scariest single moments in any game I've played.

This will give you some idea, although I'll warn you - there's some gameplay in it, and the guy plays like a douche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6otQw0K49YE

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:45 pm

So there was a Rock Band patch recently that added the Music Store feature, which is pretty awesome. I hadn't downloaded any songs, but after checking out Music Store, I downloaded five of em: Radiohead's My Iron Lung, STP's Interstate Love Song, and the Queens of the Stone Age three-pack.

However, the patch also introduced a calibration/lag bug. It seems to affect different people differently, where some people don't notice a difference but for others it basically renders the game unplayable. Here is a thread from the rockband.com forum where Sskitzzo (basically the authority when it comes to Rock Band drumming) describes the problem. He also has a youtube demonstrating it. The bug seems to be fixable for some people, and not really fixable for others. And it seems to be affecting 360s more than PS3s.

I didn't really notice any difference during gameplay. I did have some dropped notes that should have been okay, but I had that before the patch sometimes, especially now with my gum rubber drum pads. I did notice that after the patch, when you first turn on the game and it starts to play the Highway Star intro video, it skips like three times. It didn't do that before.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Man, the Rock Band online store is pretty much exactly what made me excited about DLC when people were first talking about it. So far I think they may be the only people who have been doing it right.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with the Music Store. I particularly like how they rate each song's difficulty for individual instruments, and I wish there was a way to see this for all the on-disc songs as well. There is however one thing I would change about the Music Store.

Initially when you load the Music Store, scrolling through song lists is silent. If you click on a song you can download a preview of it, basically a 10-ish second clip. Thereafter, whenever you scroll to that song, it plays the clip both on the scroll screen and if you click on the song. Nice.

So the thing I'd change would be to automatically download the preview the first time you click on a song. If you were not interested in the song, you wouldn't click it in the first place, but if you are interested then it makes sense that you'd want to hear it right away. So why make us click to preview it? So it should either automatically download, or it should download all the previews when you load the Music Store altogether.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:55 pm

I don't like that it doesn't background DL.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 am

Wikipedia rates the difficulty for the songs on each instrument. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's there.

Okay, I have a hard enough time with the drums that I don't need some sort of lag. Can you take off updates? And what do you mean, "now with my gum rubber drum pads", what did you have before? What's the normal one?

Full of questions...

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:40 am

As far as wikipedia's ratings, they probably make sense when you look at all four difficulties on a per-instrument basis. But yeah, you may not agree. Hell, sometimes I think a song is easier on a harder difficulty, like GGaHT on hard vs medium drums.

In case you want to erase the patch:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/09/xbox- ... iscovered/
To perform the function, access 'memory' in the system blade, and then highlight the hard drive. Now press: Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. The following message should appear: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"

If you initiate maintenance, the hard drive's cache will be cleared, including all software updates.

I have not tried this, but by all accounts this works. It lets you delete the patch while letting you preserve your saves, characters, and DLC.

I tested out the lag today on drums (expert and hard), and my girlfriend is testing on guitar (expert) right now. As far as we can tell it seems fine, but maybe we are just not good enough to tell if it is messed up. Or maybe we are just lucky and didn't get screwed by the patch.

And by gum rubber pads, I mean that I modded my drums. I bought four pads made of black gum rubber cut to the size of the Rock Band drums and attached them to the gray surface with doublesided tape. I also got some colored foam rings that act as rimshot guards. These mods reduce the noise of the drums by about half, and much more than half for rimshots; this allows me to play harder without messing up other players with my loud clacking. They also slightly increase rebound, and protect the drums from cracking. Plus I think they look much better than the normal gray drums. They do, however, destroy your drum sensitivity if you have the EL model of the drumset, but I have the QM so it works fine. It might make me drop a note a couple times a day but I like the benefits of it more than perfect scores. I just took a picture of my drums. There are marks on the rubber from the drumsticks, but these can mostly be wiped off with a damp cloth maybe with a little soap too.

You can buy them here. I ended up getting them from a different place, which allowed me to get black gum rubber, not neoprene; but by all accounts this site is the best.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”