Xbox 360

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:20 am

What's this about lag?

I have a really hard time getting my TV's latency thing tuned for the drums. The whole "set the thing until it matches the click" is fucking retarded, particularly if it moves that fast. Slow it the fuck down, or have us hit in time to something like with the guitar.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:19 pm

I finally read/skimmed through all the comments about the Rock Band patch lag, and here are some highlights:

- two things are happening: 1. for whatever reason the settings themselves change randomly after installing the patch, so you'd think you could manually set them to what they were before but that doesn't seem to be fixing the problem for everyone. 2. even manually setting it to many different settings doesn't work for everyone

- the lag appears to occur across all types of tvs (crt, lcd, plasma) and across both 360 and PS3, but it is not happening for everyone

- a lot of people are reporting that a post-patch setting of -15/-25 work okay for lcds, and -15/10 work okay for crts (whereas pre-patch and logic dictate that for crts 0/0 is ideal), but...

- different calibration settings seem to work for different SONGS (wtf). This may indicate that the patch did something to the core game engine. Perhaps it is getting bogged down by longer/more involved songs.

- a given calibration setting may feel right for one instrument but wrong for another

- you can delete the patch (the process is different for 360 and PS3 though) and play offline like it was before the patch

- a Harmonix employee posted in the thread a few days ago basically saying okay I'll pass the info along, but we don't think anything is wrong because the patch wasn't supposed to do anything with calibration settings; however it also appears that the patch did intend to change something with microphone settings

- about a day or so ago a second Harmonix employee posted in the thread saying they are working on it, but have been unable to reproduce the error in the office, which may mean an official fix is not happening soon

- current posts are suggesting that deleting the patch and redownloading it may help, which may indicate that the previous download(s) may have been corrupted...or that Harmonix put up a stealth patch without announcing it or making it a mandatory download

Anyway, I went home and tried it and it seems to be fine. I think we just originally picked one of the presets (either whatever the default was or the LCD one) and it worked fine. Whether the patch modified our settings or is fucking up in some other way, I can't really tell so I guess I am happy. Again, it could just be that it's really noticeable if you can reliably get gold stars and 99-100% on difficult songs on expert and suddenly you can barely 5 star it. I am not that good, but I can drum all the songs on hard and do half the songs on expert.

Addendum: One of the Harmonix guys posted something that one of the patch's coders wrote, basically saying that they did mess with the calibration some but in a way that should be fixable. Basically they shifted the starting points. The thread has been locked so people will easily be able to find that post, and a new thread was created. I don't think this is the only problem though, because Sskitzzo has tried over a hundred different calibrations, and surely would've stumbled on the ones that correspond to his old settings of 0/0 (ie. the crt preset). And that does not explain why a song will start out calibrated but then partway through it'll go way out of synch. And it doesn't not explain why people even noticed the problem in the first place if the only thing that changed was the numbers displayed in the GUI.

Anyway, he went on to say, "Our assertion is that the numbers were off to begin with, and the patch fixes that. It's possible that people have gotten used to playing with the old (wrong) numbers." Basically they still don't think there is a real problem.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm

. wrote:Wikipedia rates the difficulty for the songs on each instrument. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's there.

Okay yeah, totally don't agree with some of these. When I started my expert drum tour, I failed Hole's Celebrity Skin like five times before I had to give up. Few days later, was kind of in the zone after some band world tour, so I tried it and beat it on the first try but it still is definitely not Tier 2 difficulty on drums. Maybe on lesser difficulties, but who cares about people who play drums on lesser difficulties?

Other songs: REM's Orange Crush on expert is way harder than Tier 5. It's gotta be Tier 8 at least. And there's no way SP's Cherub Rock is Tier 8. Yeah, it's a little tricky but it's more like Tier 6. Mother Hips's Time We Had is probably a Tier 7, not a Tier 4, even on medium.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Gobo came up with these difficulty rankings for drums.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Gobo is a drum commie.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 pm

I have it on good authority that this is what Gobo looks like when he drums. The part at about the 3:00 mark is pretty great.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:39 pm

I can't even play drums on expert, I have trouble with a fair amount of songs on hard :(

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm not even very good at medium, but I don't play that much!

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:28 am

I have to play them on easy, people. Easy!

You know what though, it's not just that my limbs are retarded. I also cannot read the notes fast enough on the screen. My eyes can't figure out a focal point apparently. So, technically, I'm retarded as a whole.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm good at that just from playing too many rhythm games. I just have a problem coordinating my arms and my legs. Also, I feel like the pedal could use some work. In particular, I don't like that the cord is so short and it's curled. The upshot is that if I try and position it comfortably it just recoils to the back of the kit and ends up either half in the air, or flipping over, or something.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

. wrote:You know what though, it's not just that my limbs are retarded. I also cannot read the notes fast enough on the screen. My eyes can't figure out a focal point apparently. So, technically, I'm retarded as a whole.

When you play guitar, what difficulty do you play on? It seems like reading the notes on the screen is a skill you would've learned while doing that. But really, drums are more about hearing the song than seeing the notes. I don't know much about time signatures or anything remotely resembling musical training, but if I see a bunch of closely spaced notes coming up then I know the pace is about to pick up. And you just play it based on what the song sounds like. And you just use the on-screen notes to know which pads to hit.

As far as coordinating limbs, yeah that was my hardest problem when I first got the game. You just have to start out on easy and focus on learning the pedal, even if it means you don't use your hands. After a while, you will learn that it is mostly about listening to the songs and hitting the bass pedal when it sounds like it needs it, using the on-screen notes as a guide more than a hard rule to stick to. If you are getting overwhelmed by notes and horizontal lines on a particular part of a song, just stop altogether and then focus on one limb at a time. Usually I just try to get back on the beat by ignoring the bass completely, and then once I get a handle on it, slowly add it back in. The game itself has a pre-song tip that recommends focusing on red pad hits and bass when you get overwhelmed because missing those makes you lose more life meter.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:15 am

My bass pedal just broke :(

Addendum: EA's support for broken Rock Band gear is pretty good.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:18 pm

About a third of my Xbox Live friends list has already acquired and played GTA IV, a game of phenomenal proportions that I have miniscule interest in. Don't you people work?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:49 am

I was less than interested in it.

though I felt somehow offended when I was listening to a local station's hole go on about how gamers have no lives and like to indulge in phenomenal wastes of time. Citing GTA's release and a notable rise in the number of people calling in sick to work, purportedly.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:22 am

I just put down £180 on Rock Band so I couldn't afford it. I'll be waiting until the eventual PC release when it's £35 rather than £60.

But yeah, last night as I was fighting the Nurburgring on Forza I had 6+ people online at the same time playing GTA4.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 pm

OMG, the Nurburgring is a bitch.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Harsh on Forza, but a pussycat on PGR4.

GTA4's alright. Not the second coming as the gaming press already seem to be proclaiming it, but alright. Lots of neat touches anyway. Certainly not revolutionary, more refined.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

OMGBEES wrote:OMG, the Nurburgring is a bitch.

The other cars AI doesn't help much. I eventually gave up and did the race in class D cars -- eventually choosing an Astra VXR to limp around the track in 11 minutes because on the faster cars I'd get bumped off the road constantly.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 am

SporkAndrew wrote:I just put down £180 on Rock Band so I couldn't afford it. I'll be waiting until the eventual PC release when it's £35 rather than £60.

But yeah, last night as I was fighting the Nurburgring on Forza I had 6+ people online at the same time playing GTA4.

Wow you have to pay twice as much for games as we do? That is some raw bullshit.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri May 02, 2008 7:38 am

shorty wrote:Wow you have to pay twice as much for games as we do? That is some raw bullshit.

Usually we pay around £40 for 360 games. But yeah, even at a discounted £100 for the instrument pack, we're still paying more than you guys do.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri May 02, 2008 11:53 am

GTAIV is surprisingly good. They really monkied with the car physics and I thought that would totally ruin the game, but I'm starting to get in it and I think that it improves things. I also love the physics system that occasionally lets you go rocketting through the windshield of your car when you crash. And it's nice to shit actually happening without you as the center in the city - in particular, cops trying to arrest OTHER people.

I got FES as well. Thank god you keep your academics/speed/charm rating when you cross over to the new The Journey! I'd forgotten, though, how much fucking around there is at the beginning.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”