End of Year List are Cool and Totally Not Lame

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Eolh
Serious Business

End of Year List are Cool and Totally Not Lame

Postby Eolh » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:13 pm

With the massive influx of "Best Of" lists coming in, it got me curious as to what you all thought were the Top 5 best games of '06.

Mine would probably go like this:

5) Guitar Hero II

I'm not sure this one needs a lot of explanation. The addition of the truly cooperative gameplay and practice mode made all the difference. This game is a lot harder than the first iteration with a much wider diversity in song type. There's nothing quite like rockin' out to some Boston.

4) Half Life II: Episode 1

This year wasn't a great year for PC games. I played a ton of just above mediocre games that could have been great like Dreamfall, Prey, and NWN2. I thought HLII:E1 was the exception to that. An action-packed game that had amazing pacing and some really great storytelling. More importantly I thought that the "Director's Commentary" version of the game was amazing, and something I'd like to see a lot more.

3) Elite Beat Agents

This game is all kinds of fucked up. The rhythm game mechanics are solid all the way through, but I think its the weird storytelling that puts this game over the top. It fluctuates constantly between funny, campy, and touching so quickly its hard to do anything but grin.

2) Final Fantasy XII

Eating a bit of crow on this one. For about a year I mocked Tobliz daily about how bad FFXII was going to be, about how Final Fantasy sucks and how his favorite developer was well past his prime. I derided the gambit system as ridiculous and mocked the main character design.

Well I was essentially wrong on every point, this is the best Final Fantasy since at least 9 and probably since 7.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess

This is my favorite Zelda game ever. A lot of people were let down by the end fight being relatively easy (despite forgetting that Zelda hasn't actually been hard since Zelda II), but I enjoyed every single moment in Hyrule this time around. If I felt any disappointment at the end of it all, it would be because I really could have used another 40 hours.
Last edited by Eolh on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:21 pm

5) Company of Heroes A fantastic RTS game, it's extremely fun and the single-player campaign is the best in a long while. Suffers from WW2ism and somewhat limited game/unit scope.

4) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion A slight disappointment, but given the bar it was given, setting it would have easily put it over #1 of the year. Still a very good game in which you can put a lot of hours and a vast world to explore. A fairly healthy modding community makes this somewhat replayable.

3) Okami Beautiful game, absolutely gorgeous. Nice combat system, very enjoyable. Slightly too easy, but I had too much fun to really complain much. Very nice ending as well.

2) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Possibly the best Zelda game of all time but I haven't played enough to make a judgement call. Could easily take #1 if it keeps up this nice work. All but a perfect game so far although the archery aiming could use work. DISCLAIMER: playing this game on the Gamecube.

1) Final Fantasy XII Okay, I admit it. I am very biased, I love the developer of the game. However, I am going to say this is the best FF ever. Better than IX, better than VII, better than even VI. Nothing come close. The entire political intrigue permeating the game, the realistic actions each character takes (almost every FF game has "wtf did he do that for" moments) and the lack of the God-Killing crutch every FF game suffers from makes this a masterpiece. The gambit system takes a bit to get used to, but it is a vast improvement of endless transitions into battle screens. Limiting the victory screens to boss fights is a nice touch; makes it all that much more special. Last but not least, it gave me the pleasure of watching Eolh totally eat crow. Vindication is so sweet.

Honorable mention: the entire DS lineup. Nothing pops to me as a top 5 game, but all of them are fantastic games in their own right. Except StarFox DS. Fuck you, StarFox DS. You could have been awesome but you fell victim to "zomg touch screen".
Last edited by Tobliz on Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zsinj
I <3 Lions

Postby Zsinj » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:56 pm

Oooh ooh I will do this.

5) Final Fantasy XII. I only got about 40 hours in but it was easily the most fun I've ever had with an FF. Great graphics and I barely even wanted to stab most of the characters. In fact, I will agree with Tobliz that it is the best FFXII ever :o.

4) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. After Hating Morrowind so much it was great to see that Oblivion was so much fun. It got boring after a while, but that was around the 50 hour mark. This game was extremely beautiful and almost every aspect was well done, if not all that polished.

3) Company of Heroes. First off, I am terrible at this game. I seem to be awful at almost any RTS, because I am probably retarded. But, this game looked so amazing and the system just worked so well that I loved every minute of it.

2) Guitar Hero II. I have devoted countless hours to this game. It probably is only getting this high because (I feel) I am quite excellent at it. The song list was good and they tightened the game over the first one, and co-op added basically endless replayability.

1) Gears of War. I've only had this game for about a week, but (unfortunately) that has been enough time for me to beat the single player campaign. While it's short, the online versus and co-op modes are enough to keep me playing. This game is basically breathtaking, and I was sort of in shock the first time I really saw it in action.

Games I've only played like for 1 hour so I couldn't make a judgment: Twilight Princess, Bully, Rainbow 6 Vegas.

Games I wish I'd freakin' bought: Okami, Elite Beat Agents.

Thrillhouse
Disciple

Postby Thrillhouse » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 am

5)Defcon
Number five just for the fact that it was such a cool game for such a simple concept
4)Ace Combat Zero
3)Dead Rising
2)Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
1)Half-life 2: Episode 1

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:53 am

Dude, FF12 was far superior to fucking FF7 in every damn way. srsly.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Dynagrip wrote:Dude, FF12 was far superior to fucking FF7 in every damn way. srsly.

You are very, very wrong. Also, you smell badly.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Mine:

5. Me & My Katamari (PSP)

Yeah, more of the same. But you can play it anywhere, hence it's awesome.

4. Hexic HD

Finally, another good game from Alexei Pajitnov, the fruits of his labours at Microsoft. Proof that he's not a one-trick pony. And it's free on the 360. Great stuff. And it doesn't end in -tris.

3. Singstar Legends

It's got the best songlist of the entire series. Including the utterly superb 'This Charming Man' by The Smiths. This couldn't be a more fitting swansong for the series on the PS2.

2. Dead Rising

Baharr harmans! At first the signs were bad. A Capcom game with zombies in it. So far so Resident Evil. The reality turned out to be pure greatness. Dawn Of The Dead-The Game. Your character is a total asshole too, we need more asshole heroes.

1. Gears Of War

It's beautiful to look at as well as a stiff challenge on Hardcore difficulty and higher. Great weapon set, fantastic co-op and unrivalled multiplayer. Move over Halo2. And ripe for a sequel. Fantastic.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:04 am

Took a year off...but, lists!

Top 10 of 2008:

10. Dragon Quest IV
9. Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness Episodes 1 & 2
8. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
7. Boom Blox
6. Fallout 3
5. Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
3. Left 4 Dead
2. Valkyria Chronicles
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:18 am

5. Super Smash Bros Brawl ((Sonic Vs Mario ... finally!))

4. Dead Space (( Sure its not #1 but its a fun game, not bust a nut fantastic but fun))

3. Mario Kart Wii ((Its fucking Mario Kart you can play online!))

2. Left 4 Dead (( Why does the smoker ALWAYS FUCKING GO FOR ME))

1. Dokapon Kingdom ((I have not played a better party game nor multiplayer game))

Honourable Mention goes to Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles ((yah yah it came out end of 07 but its great if you love zapper games and killing the undead)), and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World ((great rpg if your sick of the garbage Square-Enix puts out))

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Even though many of these games came out a year earlier or in one case years earlier, they were new to me, and represent my favorite experiences for the year

CoD4 - tip of the hat to an excellent SP campaign
    TF2 - well balanced, fun, uncomplicated multiplayer shoot em up with terrific character.
    EvE - The closest thing to a simulated fully functional universe gaming has come up with so far.
    Mass Effect - Bioware never disapoints
    Fallout 3 - Neither does Bethesda, thanks for not fucking over the franchise for a quick cash in.
    Left4Dead - Zombies! True Team play! Shit yeah!
    Portal - even though I played in in late 2007, I'm still talking about it / singing along to "still alive" on my playlist.
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - Best MMO of the year, suck it Lich King.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:08 pm

In no particular order:
Fallout 3 (fantastic roam-em-up)
Burnout Paradise (Criterion raised the bar for racing games with this)
Geometry Wars 2 (forget Braid, this was the true star of the Summer Of Arcade)
Battlefield Bad Company (fun campaign and excellent MP)
GTA IV (Rockstar did it again, wonderful atmosphere)

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 am

I don't think I played enough good games this year to make a list. :/

Minecraft is a joy, and shows the big names that making rehashed big budget sequels is not the way to gaming glory.
    Mount and Blade: Warbands has surprisingly got me by the short hairs these days.
    I briefly enjoyed Civ 5 but just ended up missing alot of the stuff from earlier civs that got cut down from it.
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 was an OK multiplayer shooter.
    Mass Effect 2 was pretty good
    so was Assassins Creed 2

I think the biggest problem was me: I couldn't really get enthusiastic about much of anything. Or maybe it's the industry playing pump the sequel making cash cow. I know I completely passed by alot of big name games that came out this year so lets hear what people have to say about them.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Uh, I am not sure I have played a whole bunch of games I have liked.

5. Deathspank
4. Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue
3. Red Dead Redemption
2. Bioshock 2
1. Fallout: New Vegas

Although, I have not played a lot of the SP, Red Dead had fun co-op. Conversely, Bioshock 2's SP (plus DLC) was much better than the MP which I did not enjoy.
Sherlock Holmes was not a completely horrible game, but it was finally a point and click mystery, so I probably gave it more credit than it deserves.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am

My most enjoyed this year:
Chime (XBLA charity game which also turned out to be excellent)
The Saboteur (Pandemic's swansong in which your Oirish protagonist tries to eliminate as many Nazi sploicers as possible)
Halo Reach (the game that just keeps on giving)
Pinball FX 2 (more of the same, only with an improved game engine and excellent leaderboards)
Costume Quest (very cute snack-sized XBLA offering by Double Fine that was over almost as quickly as it started)

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:23 pm

Regarding Costume Quest, that's another reason I did not want to get it. At 1200 points, I don't want a 2-3 hour game. I am greedy. I got almost 13 out of the first Deathspank and roughly 20 out of the second. Both cost the same as Costume Quest. (And yeah, I am sure DS had a bigger budget/talent whatever.)
The other thing was, I still have a SD TV. It was impossible to see the QTE button presses and I could barely read the text unless I was roughly a foot from the screen.
It looked adorable, though.

I'll be getting Pinball FX2 on the 4th. And because I bought the Collector's Edition, I'll be buying Fallout's DLC as it comes out. So that's on the 4th, as well.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:44 am

I played the Costume Quest demo. It was just like the Penny Arcade games, but you know for kids.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:16 am

. wrote:The other thing was, I still have a SD TV.

Cheapest way to get HD gaming on 360 is to get a CRT monitor (people are literally giving them away here) and a VGA cable (cheap like this one). Hook up a pair of PC speakers to the audio output and you're set.

. wrote:I'll be getting Pinball FX2 on the 4th.

S'good, ball physics are much improved on the first game.

. wrote:And because I bought the Collector's Edition, I'll be buying Fallout's DLC as it comes out. So that's on the 4th, as well.

I've held off getting Vegas, the well-documented bugs being a factor.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:30 am

I have not gotten a lot of the bugs that some people seem to have gotten, but I do randomly get stuck in a rock/tree/structure. Usually when an enemy is nearby so I cannot fast travel, sometimes it says I am jumping or falling and won't let me fast travel.

The main thing though are the game freezes. The dang thing freezes all the time. My Auto Save has corrupted twice. I turned off all Auto Save options (Sleep/Wait/Travel) and things seem to have straightened out with that part. I just have to remember to manually save every 10 minutes again.

Why won't you let me love you Fallout? I want to so much. And honestly, the story is getting a little convoluted for my tastes. I don't know who to side with, dangit!

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:32 am

It's because it's made by Obsidian, who are doing their best imitation of Troika. :) Seriously, in the Interplay days, Black Isle did the story and Bioware did the engineering. There was a reason for that, and when you think about just how bad Bioware's engineering can be....

I have a soft spot for things that are nominally entertainment, but are so challenging that it becomes clear that the creator just does not see your entertainment as important.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:34 am

I'm going to be honest, I have NO experience with Obsidian/Black Isle/Bioware/Troika so I am really not familiar with what you're refering to. I am assuming things were better then.. or something.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”