Anticipation

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah, I could see how Blighttown could be a roadblock. If you ever get back into it, you're heading into the best part of the game. The second bell opens a path that eventually leads to Anor Londo which is my favorite area in the game. Except maybe Ash Lake but that area is only like 15 minutes long.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm noodling around in it trying to remember where I was. I killed the Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum Again, and then found where I was in Blight Town after a ton of wandering. Then I think I went the wrong way and was going backup towards The Depths.

I am wearing the Gargoyle Helm, Elite Knight Armor +2, Spider Shield, Black Knight Sword +3, Hamel's Ring (? The one that lets you carry more) and the Rusted Ring in Blight Town, Evil Eye Ring everywhere else.

I just found a ton of green titanite, and I need to decide whether I want to put that into my +2 Divine Winged Spear (only divine weapon) or stick it somewhere else.

Also need to go back to the tree place and grind out moss.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Does your character have any Faith? If not, then the divine weapon will be almost useless. Save the green titanite for fire weapons. Or if you have Intelligence then you could do magic weapons. But to be honest, I would just find more twinkling titanite and bring your black knight sword to +5 and it will last you for the rest of the game.

Elite knight armor is a good long term investment, plus it looks great. In the mean time however there may be other sets that are better out of the box but can't be upgraded. Once you're done with Blighttown, switch to a different shield. My favorite general purpose shields are the grass crest shield (for stamina regen, even if it's on your back) and I'm starting to love the silver knight shield. It is easy to max out and has the best stability of any medium shield which means it takes very little stamina to block.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:03 am

No faith to speak of. The only reason I have a divine weapon is for the stuff that doesn't stay dead.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:37 am

Queelag's down and I'm a chaos servant now. The boss battle with Queelag wasn't especially hard. I actually never learned how to deal with her jump - I just got lucky and she chained a bunch of her long attacks and so I sat behind her and wailed away.

Is Great Chaos Fireball that good? Two slots for four attacks is huge.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Congrats on finishing Blighttown!

I wouldn't use great chaos fireball. I'm guessing you have four attunement slots so at this point of the game I would recommend:

1. Fire orb or combustion
2. Great combustion*
3. Poison mist or iron flesh or firestorm*
4. Power within

For the starred item you have to have access to Quelana, who appears in the swamp after some condition has been fulfilled. For me she usually appears after my pyromancy flame is +10. Great combustion is so good that you may want to slot the lesser version of it too just to have more casts. It's basically a big melee fire attack but it's quick and doesn't use stamina.
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 pm

I went through and sifted my armor, and I don't currently have anything that beats the Elite Knight +2 right now. Also don't have much that's better than the spider shield - Baldur shield I guess?

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:53 am

I'm sure you have grass crest, crest, and dragon crest shields which are all good. But yeah, balder shield is pretty good too. The stats to look out for in a general purpose shield are 100% physical resist and high stability. Silver knight shield from Anor Londo excels at these. There are also situational shields to keep an eye out for. For example, spider shield for poison, crest shield for magic damage, dragon crest or black knight shield for fire, and maybe eagle shield for lightning. Actually eagle shield is a good all purpose shield too but it doesn't have 100% physical resist (it used to but got nerfed), but you can't parry with it.

Special mention goes to the grass crest shield. It doesn't have 100% physical resist, but it gives you a buff for stamina regen. I used to use it all the time, but I learned that your stamina recharges faster when you lower your shield so I've been doing that more in between enemy attacks. High stability can compensate for the loss of regen from the grass crest shield.
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:05 am

I actually don't have the dragon crest, not sure where that one is.

The grass crest doesn't block 100% physical so I feel like it's not a great idea.

I found a ring that gave me a huge bonus to physical; ended up switching to the Crimson Armor set with that ring instead of Hamel's, which gives me the same movement, about 120 or so more defense, and crazy poison resistance. Woo? Not sure if I will pump the crimson armor or the Elite Knight stuff or what.

Went and killed the hydra, kindled the bonfire near there, then went as a human into the area above the Hydra and got INVADED and INVADED and INVADED and INVADED. Really frustrating. Lost a ton of souls.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, you will get constantly invaded if you are in human form in the forest. There's a forest hunter covenant that let's you invade there from anywhere. If you join it, you won't get invaded.

Also the forest has one of the best soul grinding spots in the game, but you have to open the glowing door with the crest of Artorias that you buy for 20k. That may seem like a lot but you can make it back in about 5 mins with the grinding spot. If you want more details let me know.

Dragon crest shield is in the valley of drakes, next to the big sleeping undead dragon, although he will awaken when you pick it up. Not a crucial pickup anyway. I only equip it for fire damage like for Quelaag but you already beat her and her amazing chest ahead.

Crimson set is all right for now, but I wouldn't upgrade it at all. If you are looking for lightweight robe type armor, I would recommend the gold-hemmed black armor that the witches of Izalith used to wear. It's in the area beyond Quelaag's Domain about 5-10 mins away. It's functionally great, looks great, and doesn't upgrade so no need to spend materials. But if you're looking for medium armor then elite knight is a good set but has to be upgraded.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:54 am

You had that message too, huh?

I can buy the crest and fuck around until I figure out the grinding spot. I'll work on that at some point.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

OMGBEES wrote:No faith to speak of. The only reason I have a divine weapon is for the stuff that doesn't stay dead.

Forgot to mention this, but if you only need a divine weapon for the catacombs, then you needn't bother to build one yourself. There's a weapon in Anor Londo that is Occult, which you can devolve for free to become Divine +5. I've done it and it works, but if you don't have any faith then it does so little damage that it's not worth using. It's easier to just keep killing them until you can manage to kick them off a cliff or just find the necromancers reviving them.

Also! I pre-ordered Dark Souls 2 black armor edition. I bought from Club Namco for the free gift which may be a t-shirt. Can't remember the last time I pre-ordered a game, let alone got one at launch.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Cara Ellison really likes this Salome game, warning, NSFW.

Mostly posting this because the writing is absolutely gorgeous.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Plut, Extra Credits is about to do a thing on The Secret World. I thought you might like to know.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 am

Oh yeah, awesome. I will have to check that out when I get home.

You'll also be happy to know that my computer ran ESO like a champ. Too bad the beta itself was really, really buggy. I know the point of them is to work out the bugs, was just a little worrisome considering the game comes out in a month.

Someone I played the ESO beta with (or two someones) is (are) trying to drag me into Everquest II, but it looks like a lot of stuff happens on the screen and I am used to using roughly 8 specific buttons (controllers.)

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm actually pretty interested in Everquest II, which is a phrase I never expected to be uttering.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Do it, do it, do it!
Then maybe we can play. And I can ask questions without looking like a complete tool in front of mostly strangers.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Apparently the PS3 version of Dark Souls 2 looks vastly worse than the promotional stuff they've been showing, but the PC looks as good. Good time to be a PC gamer I guess.

Plut, did you ever get Secret World?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat May 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Shows how much I've been able to keep up with podcasts lately, I had no idea that Weekend Confirmed ended back in January. Shame, I always really enjoyed that show.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”