The Warhammer Online thread

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

The Warhammer Online thread

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Anyone going to try? I've pre-ordered a while back, on the grounds that it's from Mythic and they did a fine job on DAoC.

RvR experience means you could level up never even touching the quests or PvE grind- but what do noobs drop?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to it, I will probably try it not long after it comes out.

Token
Buy EA games; they are great?

Postby Token » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Am sure I'll give it a shot. Probably not until a couple of months past release though.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Token wrote:Am sure I'll give it a shot. Probably not until a couple of months past release though.

That's the best tactic. Why pay 30 bucks in monthly fees for the privledge of beta testing?

I never claimed to learn from my mistakes.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 pm

So I paid money for the privilege of beta testing WAR!

It's actually quite fun.

Since all beta chars just get scrubbed, I was mostly just trying out different classes to learn the interface and gameplay, my highest ranked char at the time of the end of beta (last night) was a level 10 (renown rank 7) witch hunter.

The game has a few really cool fresh ideas, like the Tome of Knowledge. The Tome of Knowledge is like a quest tracker on steroids. It keeps track of your progression in the WAR world in various ways: mobs you encounter, achievements earned, funny titles you can use, and all sorts of miscellaneous lore.

Public Quests are terrific, provided there's either not enough or not too many trying to do one at a time. Fortunately they do reset quickly enough if the latter. Once you enter into a PQ zone you are automatically participating in that quest. You will see an indicator on the hud saying what the current objective is, and you can either just pass on by or start helping out. No need to really be in a group, but it helps share the influence and keep people from not dying when the tougher boss mobs appear. Once completed the zone calculates the participation level of everyone involved and gives the people who did the most a bonus to their roll on the chest of loot. The only thing the chest drops are these bags o mystery, and once someone actually picks one out, and looks in it, then you get a choice of goodies specific to your class, or opt to take out a nice crafting item, or just cash. Even if you come up empty handed on the mobs, the influence points you earn doing the PQs can be traded in at the local rally master for class specific rewards as well, so it's never a total loss to join in. The scale of PQs allows the events to be much more fun and cinematic than regular quests: in one case in the Greenskin starting zone you help out an ogre out, who then picks up a giant mine (like one of those WWII ocean mines) and uses it to blast down a door to a dwarf keep. Then dwarfs come pouring out in waves ending in a boss dwarf hero.

RvR is very well integrated, and the rewards are as such that you can completely skip the old PvE style of playing an MMO if you want. I don't know if that scales right up to the end game but I hope so. I was almost completely playing RvR with my witch hunter and earning plenty of cash and loot from it: killing a player gives a chance to loot their corpse (not of something they actually own though), and earning renown rank unlocks items you can buy from a renown merchant. The gear I was getting from him was better than the stuff dropping in PvE or from quests.

There are RvR scenarios, which are great if you only have a half hour or an hour to play, as you queue up and jump right in and they only last about a half an hour, if you're solo you automatically get paired up in groups upon entering. Then it is somewhat like playing a game of capture the flag in an FPS. All the zones also have specific RvR territories with capture points to control. controlling the territory grants bonuses for all friendlies in the area whether they are in RvR or PvE.

The only real down side that I can see right now are that the graphics seem really dated: this is unfortunately necessary because of the scale of some RvR battles. It's the only way a normal computer would be able to handle a 50 on 50 battle, and I noticed some lag and frame rate drops when in those.

I only got in late in the open beta, but the game seems pretty stable. To put it another way, I had many more stability issues playing Age of Conan and I joined that game something like 6 months after retail release. One more week until release, so we'll see if they can keep that stability.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm playing destruction on Ostermark. My guild made level 5 yesterday (guilds have levels and gaining level grants cool new stuff). I'm a lvl 8 zealot named Clavain. I'd be higher level but I can't stop playing RvR.

Jason Mustian

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:12 am

I heard somewhere that at the higher levels it's mostly a PvP game. Know anything about that?
i before e except after a few beers

Tobliz
Mad Zealot

Postby Tobliz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:17 am

the entire game was pretty much designed for pvp, with pve almost as an afterthought

kinda the reverse of WoW

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:23 am

Well then, I can safely cross that off as something I'd ever be interested in playing.
i before e except after a few beers

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:18 am

Safety first!

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:32 am

the whole game is very pvp centric, only it's rvr because it's big groups against big groups, hence this whole "war is coming" theme

It's been really fun though, you shouldn't judge mythic style pvp against traditional pvp, they are completely different flavors.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 am

Mythic tastes like peppermints.

I am contributing to the conversation!

Token

Postby Token » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:27 pm

I broke down and bought Warhammer and installed it last night. Played around for a bit. Pretty fun. Way better then Conan. Same but different from WoW.
Digging it so far.
Am playing on Praag server as Destruction. Tomb is name. Chosen.
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 pm

WAR has converted me from a mostly soloing misanthrope to an outgoing group-centric heal bitch. There is nothing quite as satisfying than watching an entire party of order noobs pounding away uselessly at a huge black orc while I hide atop a hill in the distance pumping him with HP - both of us laughing maniacly on vent.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 pm

So there's a scenario in the game that takes place in what I asume is a volcano, since there's all this lava and narrow rock bridges crossing them and such. Well I just got my first knock back ability (not as cool as other classes, like Orc or Engineer, but comes in handy in a pinch).

Lining up and properly punting a dwarf to his fiery death might be the most satisfying thing ever. If only I could talk smack to the other realm.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Main healing raids is tough work. Especially when the main tank class for destruction can't find decent +toughness gear in the mid 30s.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm telling you guys that in 6-12 months you're all going to wish you had high level characters in this game. It's already quite fun and the changes I long for feel easily implimentable. Isn't the now 4 year old WoW getting a bit boring?

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Sadly, no.

Token

Postby Token » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Yea, am having a ton of fun with this game when I get to play. Loving all aspects of RvR.
Only 24 right now and moving slowly, but am really looking forward to the higher level realm battles.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:57 am

while T3's scenarios are fun, T4 is where it's at for world rvr. they really need to fix the requirements for locking up zones though.

Jason Mustian

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”