HDMI

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

HDMI

Postby Tweeg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:37 pm

So I'm a noob when it comes to HD TVs and resolution settings etc.

Right now I have my 360 set to run with the res 1080i. But I hear interlaced settings look like crap when something has to move fast on the screen. I haven’t noticed anything like that so far but maybe I'm just blind.

Is it better to run games at 720p instead of 1080i ?
I have a plasma tv and I thought plasmas always display in progressive, to get true interlaced you need LCD. So say you have a plasma tv and you pick a interlaced setting it won't be much different than progressive. Or is that totally off base ?

And also I was wondering if HDMI cables were worth it for the 360. Right now using the STANDARD/HD AV cables things look nice at 1080i, but is there a noticeabul difference once you get the hdmi cables and get it up to 1080p ?

Just wondering what everyone else is running out there and your opinion on if hdmi cables are worth it for consoles would be great :)

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm running at 1080p, although I hear that most games aren't output in much more than 720p. Progressive scan is better than interlaced anyway.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Re: HDMI

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Tweeg wrote:So I'm a noob when it comes to HD TVs and resolution settings etc.

Right now I have my 360 set to run with the res 1080i. But I hear interlaced settings look like crap when something has to move fast on the screen. I haven’t noticed anything like that so far but maybe I'm just blind.

Is it better to run games at 720p instead of 1080i ?
I have a plasma tv and I thought plasmas always display in progressive, to get true interlaced you need LCD. So say you have a plasma tv and you pick a interlaced setting it won't be much different than progressive. Or is that totally off base ?

And also I was wondering if HDMI cables were worth it for the 360. Right now using the STANDARD/HD AV cables things look nice at 1080i, but is there a noticeabul difference once you get the hdmi cables and get it up to 1080p ?

Just wondering what everyone else is running out there and your opinion on if hdmi cables are worth it for consoles would be great :)

Totally off base. In fact, if anything, it would be the other way around. Remember that plasma TVs work like CRTs, except that instead of exciting little pits filled with phosphorous with an electron stream, they have basically tiny flourescent lights. Otherwise, they work exactly the same - three phosphemes bundled into a pixel. They're completely capable of interlaced pictures.

I think progressive looks way better.

HDMI will give you a cleaner signal, and they're also more convenient, since they carry the sound and the signal in one cable. It also separates all the colors and the sync into discrete channels - in component, the sync is carred across the red and the blue. So the image is a little more crisp and defined, with brighter colors, although it depends on your TV to be able to notice it. However, very few 360 games run in 1080p (I think Fable II is one of them.) Most of them just run in 720. So, the only big resolution difference will be in those games, HD-DVDs if you have them, and of course the dashboard. Whether that's worth it or not for you is up to you.

If you look around on the Internet, though, you can usually save a fuckton off the $50-$75 Best Buy wants you to pay.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap HDMI cable. Cheap as in $5-10.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Unless you need it NOW, if you don't get your cables from monoprice, you are a sucker.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 pm

I get my cables through my employee discout at CDW, so maybe YOU'RE the sucker.

Tweeg
The Artist Currently Known As Tweeg

Postby Tweeg » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up everyone, especally the link to monoprice.com

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 am

Sadly, Monoprice is a bit better than our employee discount for 50-100 ft. HDMI lengths.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:36 am

What do you need a 100 foot hdmi cable for?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 am

Centralizing my PC/360 setup and moving my small (26 inch) Monitor around. I'm moving the PC and 360 out to the big TV, but it's still nice to be able to use the little one in my bedroom, or as a second monitor on the couch when I have to queue up anime night shit. Also, it has a faster response time, which helps for Call of Duty.

I haven't measured out the routes yet. I know for the right rear speaker, it's about 75 feet around the end of my livingroom. The 26 inch monitor would go between the couches, so 6-8 feet short of that.

To my room is anyone's guess. Also I may be able to shorten that a bit if I can find modular plug panels with HDMI passthrough.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”