Come on baby light my fire.

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Come on baby light my fire.

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I want a Kindle DX. It's hella expensive, I'm afraid I can't justify it at that price. But I want one so bad. What does the internet think I should do?
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Why do you want a DX?
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Why do you want a kindle at all?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 pm

OMGBEES wrote:Why do you want a kindle at all?

Well I love the fuck out of my Kindle, but I'll admit that it being essentially free is probably a big part of that.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm

I can't imagine what I'd do with one. I don't need but one book with me at a time.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 am

Kindle's bother me. Far be it from me to play the part of the luddite, but I think there's something to be said for the tactile sensation of actually holding a book.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I think the main drawback is (what else) bloody DRM. A big part of being a book reader is the social factor of letting people borrow books, and borrowing books from others - which you can't do with kindle downloads obviously.

Right now I'm borrowing 2 books, and loaning out one to different people.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:35 pm

I am over physical media. With books the last straw was when I went to dig out some old fantasy novels and found them all water damaged. I'm just so tired of storage and the space they take up. This is the same thing I ultimately went through with music and then movies and then video games. I just don't have the patience for storage or collection of things.

People don't really get e-readers until they actually use one. I read about 10x more now than I did before. The little things like never having to keep your place, or having a built-in dictionary, or being able to search the document, combined with how lightweight it is and never having to turn the page physically are all very nice.

Also the ease of getting new books is pretty great, when I want to read something I can get it, immediately. I think Amazon's bookstore can be a touch overpriced, but there are...other...ways get stuff. The DRM is as weak as a kitten, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, and it's super easy to get most files onto the device, Amazon even provides a free service to convert most documents into kindle documents (and the Kindle itself can read plain text just fine).

This conversation always comes up when I mention how much I love and use my Kindle, and there are always people that thumb their nose at the very idea of not killing trees for their leisure reading, but I really don't want to try to convince people. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether or not you think the device is worthwhile.

That said, I don't know why anyone would want the DX. Part of the awesomeness of the Kindle is it's size, and I can't see any reason why a bigger one would be better, unless you were going to be reading a lot of newspapers and periodicals and stuff.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 pm

I like the idea of getting the NYtimes on the DX, and possibly a few magazines, but I think you're right that if all I want to read is novels the regular sized kindle would be ideal, much more portable and easier to use while reading one handed. it's also about 100 bucks less.

I think the big diff might be how well each version holds up to viewing wordy web pages. how do websites/blogs look on the kindle2? do they fit that screen ok?

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Kindle's bother me. Far be it from me to play the part of the luddite, but I think there's something to be said for the tactile sensation of actually holding a book.

the odd thing is i'm mostly a ludite when it comes to gadgets. apple has no sway over me. my phone is a simple flip phone with no data capabilities. my mp3 player cost me 14 bucks. I hate "swiss army knife" style gadgets (phone+camera+email+music), and would consider a crackberry more of a punishment than a toy, seeing how my boss is enslaved to it. e-readers have really been the first thing that has really had this pull on me - it does one thing, one thing that I love, really well.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Isn't the Kindle based on flash memory?

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:59 pm

hobokenbob wrote:I think the big diff might be how well each version holds up to viewing wordy web pages. how do websites/blogs look on the kindle2? do they fit that screen ok?

I have no idea, I've never used it for that. If you have some examples of some websites you'd like me to check out though, I can do that.

OMGBEES wrote:Isn't the Kindle based on flash memory?

Yeah, it uses flash memory as it's internal storage. It seems like you're asking that as some sort of gotcha?

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Well, it means your Kindle is going to die. You can always buy a new one, but then, you can always buy new books, too.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 pm

OMGBEES wrote:Well, it means your Kindle is going to die. You can always buy a new one, but then, you can always buy new books, too.

All technology dies eventually, doesn't stop me from buying it. My iPod, my PS3, my PC, my cell phone, my television, all of it will eventually end-of-life.

The important thing is to back up any information that could be used in a replacement device before it does so, and since the Kindle looks like a simple USB drive when you plug it in...that's easy to do.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:I like books.

Awesome, me too. You might like a Kindle also if you got to try it for awhile. Maybe not though, I can't really speak for you. I know that I love mine and consider it one of the best gadget purchases I've ever made.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:47 pm

These things are $359 (or more for the one hobo wants)? Plus you have to buy the books themselves? Seems pretty expensive for something that fundamentally offers the same functionality as a normal book. You can buy a basic laptop for that much, but I won't judge until I've actually used one. Do they at least come pre-loaded with a library of classics?
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:These things are $359? Plus you have to buy the books themselves? Seems pretty expensive for something that fundamentally offers the same functionality as a normal book, but I won't judge until I've actually used one. Do they at least come pre-loaded with a library of classics?

Yeah, see that's the thing. I got a $350 amazon gift card as a merit bonus from work, so mine was essentially free. I would be really hard-pressed to say if it was worth it were I actually paying for it. It probably is, but you'd need to have $350 in expendable income and a love of technology.

As far as classic go, not preloaded, but Project Gutenberg has your back.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Eolh wrote:
Bag of Ass wrote:I like books.

Awesome, me too.

I have a great idea, let's start a book club!

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Eolh wrote:I am over physical media. With books the last straw was when I went to dig out some old fantasy novels and found them all water damaged. I'm just so tired of storage and the space they take up. This is the same thing I ultimately went through with music and then movies and then video games. I just don't have the patience for storage or collection of things.

People don't really get e-readers until they actually use one. I read about 10x more now than I did before. The little things like never having to keep your place, or having a built-in dictionary, or being able to search the document, combined with how lightweight it is and never having to turn the page physically are all very nice.

Also the ease of getting new books is pretty great, when I want to read something I can get it, immediately. I think Amazon's bookstore can be a touch overpriced, but there are...other...ways get stuff. The DRM is as weak as a kitten, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, and it's super easy to get most files onto the device, Amazon even provides a free service to convert most documents into kindle documents (and the Kindle itself can read plain text just fine).

This conversation always comes up when I mention how much I love and use my Kindle, and there are always people that thumb their nose at the very idea of not killing trees for their leisure reading, but I really don't want to try to convince people. It makes absolutely no difference to me whether or not you think the device is worthwhile.

That said, I don't know why anyone would want the DX. Part of the awesomeness of the Kindle is it's size, and I can't see any reason why a bigger one would be better, unless you were going to be reading a lot of newspapers and periodicals and stuff.

I agree with Eolh on this one, though I went a different route. Most of my fiction/reading books are actually from Audible. I can always redownload them regardless of whether or not my iPod explodes, taking my house and computer with it. The only thing I really use eBooks for are reference books, or text books (read Mech Ops tear downs, Chemistry/Biology reference books, and Gaming Books) which get stored conveniently on my laptop.

As far as the Kundle is concerned, I usually don't flinch too much about expenses if there's quality there, but I can't justify spending 350-400 on something when there is a 600-800 solution that's more robust (namely the tablet PC) like HP's tx2z.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”