Dungeons & Dragons

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 am

See? Now I want to play just so I can draw maps for it. And use this as my guy, if possible:

How long does it usually take to work out an adventure? I'm assuming BoA is taking longer because he is new or does it just take forever? How about to play it? I've no idea why I am even asking, I do not know a soul in a 100 mile radius who plays this. If not further.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 am

Our game meets every other week for 5-7 hours. There are two other groups that are doing the same. The two GMs spend about 10 hours a week in preparation time. However, the setting is entirely theirs, even requiring quite a lot of rules to be made up (they have three different custom magic systems and a system for reality shifting among other things.) The only thing used are some of the races (a bunch of people are custom races), the gods, and the classes (some of the classes are also custom, obviously, for the custom magic systems).

So, they're not a very good measure.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:06 pm

OMGBEES wrote:I heard about the Gencon Indy thing, that sounded like assinine bullshit. I'm not sure what the fuck they thought they were doing there.

I can't speak to how one munchkins in 4e; power gaming has been fucking obnoxious to me, whatever the system. However, I don't buy that 4e just works. Maybe Wizards is being more permissive of people gaming the system, but no one ever creates a rules system with NO unintended consequences. That shit just doesn't happen.

He gave me all of the modules out of the swag he won. Seriously, there were only two people that knew each other, he and another one of my friends. The other two people were random people he approached and said, "hey, do you want to get in a D&D group and at least make it to the finals, maybe win the whole thing?"

As for Munchkining, the last thing I will say on it is that while I don't think it's note entirely possible, the power level is structured (a LOT of stuff is mutually exclusive) in such a way that players that deform the game don't last long, or are not significantly different, people who seem like munchkins in 4e may not be real munchkins because what does show up starkly is when someone builds a bad characters. Like a fighter that isn't designed to be a defender, or a rogue that IS designed to be a defender. As I've said before, if you suck at your job in this game, you generally get the whole party killed. Typically the most common abuses of this are Controllers and Defenders built as Strikers. They seldom if ever work. The Defender as a Striker is even more bitter to deal with because inevitably this is the character that will suck up all of the cleric's heals.

If anyone is looking for modules and stuff I have an insider subscription. Dungeon Magazines generally have adventure paths (campaigns designed to take a party of 5 from level 1 to level 30 printed as serials) or just small 1-2 session modules.I also have pdf's of almost all of the current books...

Bag of Ass wrote:Any tips on how to improve/quicken this preparation process would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to make things run smoothly when I am actually DMing. However it's taking a long time to prep, and with so much research/prep and reading of rulebooks in such a short amount of time, I'm kind of getting burned out of D&D. haha...

Generally, I don't print anything out, I tend to run everything from my notebook (pc). Though that is neither here nor there. Probably the biggest time saver I can give you is to note where pieces of information are. I started a second campaign using Scales of War - Rescue at Rivenroar, which, in a nutshell is about rescuing people, and recovering artifacts from goblins. They describe the people to be rescued first thing, then talk about the town, then after that, they talk about the first fight, and then three skill challenges, during one of which, they are supposed to be offered the deal to save the town, and recover the artifacts. It took me forever to find what artifacts they were talking about, because they weren't with the other information. So, what I started doing is Labelling Page numbers to relevant information next to all of the encounters/skill challenges. It's not important that you read everything when working from a module, only that you have an idea of where it is so you can read it to the players when you are running. Because, in the end, the people could be any people you chose, and the artifacts could be any set of Mcguffins. As for figures for monsters, I use dice, as they make the bookkeeping much easier, especially when tracking HP.

This site has a few good resources for tracking conditions and book keeping

http://www.dragonavenue.com/dnd/resources/

The combat crib sheet on this page is something EVERY new player should have.

http://www.dragonavenue.com/dnd/post/4t ... wer_cards/
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Cool. I printed a few crib sheets (for the players) and the initiative/effects tracker (for me). Thinking about printing the name-plaque style condition cards, but that might be overkill.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I ran the Khyber's Harvest adventure last night. I was expecting three PCs but one guy didn't show, so I decided to DM and run a fighter, letting the other two make the important decisions since I already knew the encounters.
  • human paladin - Piggy
  • human artificer - Gambit Boustier
  • warforged fighter - Mogenar the war golem
The adventure takes place in the Eberron setting, and the hook was that there was a draconic prophecy suggesting that an artifact called the Coat of Eyes was important for them to find. They think that a woman named Doria Veledaar has information on it, so they head out for a small village named Blackroot where the Veledaar clan has a cottage. Blackroot is a small community of human, orcs, and half-orcs.

They arrive safely in Blackroot and are approached but a middle-aged orc who announces himself as Toraash the village reeve. He doesn't have time for their bullshit, so really only points them to the Veledaar house, says that he thinks they have moved on to another village, and walks away. The party decides to investigate, leading to a skill challenge. They go straight to the house, noticing on the way that many of the other houses seem empty. Once in the house they realize that the family doesn't seem to have left to resettle, since sentimental items were left behind. Rather than continue to look around the cottage, they decide to ask around town using their streetwise skill. Let's just say that they are really not streetwise and ended up failing the skill challenge. A villager gathers an angry mob to kick the adventurers out of town. The artificer tries to intimidate but gets shoved away. These villagers are no match for the heroic party, and there is no glory in attacking them. During the altercation they notice that two armed villagers run down a path away from town. They agree to leave town so they can double back and check out that path.

The path is in an area of dense foliage, but they reach a clearing with a cave entrance on the other end. There is an axe-wielding orc guarding the entrance in plain sight, and they notice the two villagers from before hiding in some trees. These guards are all on alert and a fight breaks out. Mogenar charges one of the cultist eyeblades and marks him, Piggy attacks the other, marking him. The orc warden enters battle and marks both the fighter and paladin, while Gambit stays back and fires with his flameburst crossbow. The fighter and paladin have to attack the orc, so the eyeblades get to do extra damage to the marked targets. The fighter does a sweeps the orc off his feet, knocking him prone so the paladin can get some good hits in. One eyeblade continues to swing at the fighter who marked him, while the other falls back and throws daggers at the paladin. The orc is looking pretty bad, until he stands up with a roar and swipes at the paladin, granting the orc a significant amount of healing. It is not enough though, because the orc soon goes down. The artificer moves up to engage with his mace, but ends up getting flanked by the eyeblades, and even though they are marked by the two tanks, they cut down the frail artificer. The paladin and fighter kill one of the eyeblades but they decide to knock the last one unconscious. They revive the artificer and search the bodies, finding some gold and a strange symbiont item that they decide not to equip. In addition, they notice that each enemy carries what looks like a large eye, some sort of holy symbol. They decide to interrogate the cultist through intimidation (the warforged guy is pretty damn intimidating, rolling a 20 + 8 nice). The cultist tells them everything...that wearing the holy symbols probably won't affect their powers, but will protect them against some of the dangers in the cave. They end up releasing the captive, who runs back toward town while the bold adventurers wear the holy symbols and press on into the cave.

They proceed cautiously, hearing muffled chanting coming from the end of the narrow passage. Suddenly they notice crimson lines on the cave walls that look infuriatingly familiar like words they cannot understand. The lines are also slowly moving across the walls of the cave. Too curious, each party member tries to determine the meaning of these living words. The humans realize that these words are actually the names of villagers. The warforged stares at the words for too long, and they pierce his artificial mind. The party moves on to the next room which oddly has tiled floor in place of the normal cave floor. There is a large crimson rune on the floor in from of a small alcove. They investigate and can't figure out what the rune is, so the paladin decides to just walk on it and apparently suffers no ill effects (turns out the holy symbol did protect him). He finds a small ruined shrine in the alcove and a trinket worth some gold.

They continued through the narrow cave, and reach a sharp turn that opens up to a large room with chanting cultists led by a strange tentacle beast whose eye sockets have writhing cilia in place of actual eyes. Also at the far end of the room is a large golden eye that they recognize as a sensor and trap. The cultists are not expecting guests, and the party is able to surprise them. The eye looks in their direction but does nothing (again thanks to the holy symbols), and the party is able to make quick work of the cultists. The tentacle beast is a little more clever and makes a grab at Mogenar's belt-mounted symbol, knocking it loose. The eye immediately gazes at Mogenar and deals psychic damage, boosted since he failed to read the living words, and the eye also dominates Mogenar forcing him to attack the artificer. The others take out the tentacle beast and Mogenar scrambles to find the symbol and re-equip it. The eye stops its assault and the party proceeds to destroy it. As soon as the eye is gone, a crack in the wall opens up into a secret passage.

As they proceed through the narrow passage, the stone floor and walls begin to feel slimy and soft, as though they were descending into the throat of some great beast. They come to a room where a pair of goblin looking guys are resting near a pool of glowing purple liquid. They recognize this as the Blood of Khyber which has restorative capabilities. As they engage the creatures, they notice that each one has two mouths and four arms, and they move unnaturally quickly (ie. double turns). Still, they are no match for the party and they go down without much trouble. The party takes a short rest next to the purple pool and enjoys the benefits of an extended rest. Additionally they use their waterskins to collect some of the liquid which can be used as healing potions.

The cave continues, but our heroes do not...at least not today.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Last night it was revealed that:

1. Olidammara is the founder of my race
2. One of my exes was one half of Olidammara, meaning that yes, I have previously fucked a god,
3. I previously stole chunks of their shrine, defacing it, which they were cool with,
and 4. We are good friends and we are going to hang out for a while and presumably at the end I will have full understanding of my past. Some hints that I might be Olidammara's avatar or something like that.

Also, I am going to use the power of the god to prank one of the villains, who thinks that he's Vecna.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:40 pm

OMGBEES wrote:2. One of my exes was one half of Olidammara, meaning that yes, I have previously fucked half of a god,

Fixed.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Okay, but it was the sexy half.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Which one is the trickster god? Is that Olidammara? Or is that the wanderer god? It's sad because half of my characters worshiped Olidammara.

Also: have you heard the Famous Head of Vecna story?
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm

nobody_important wrote:Which one is the trickster god? Is that Olidammara? Or is that the wanderer god? It's sad because half of my characters worshiped Olidammara.

Also: have you heard the Famous Head of Vecna story?

Olidmarra is tricksters; Farlongen is wanderers.

And yep, I've heard the head of vecna story.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 am

It's a good story.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

It is! You should tell it for Bag so he knows how to properly fuck with 'em.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I just rolled a 24 for religion. What do I know about the Head of Vecna?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:00 pm

It's a KoDT story.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Okay, I just rolled a 39 religion. Now what do I know?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 pm

It was a trick, played on a group, that was apparently so dumb, that a cleric fell for it before the perpetrators realized the head of Vecna still had both eyes.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:55 pm

December 6, 1996
An Important Safety Tip!
Mark Steuer <steuerm> recounts this tale:

Many years ago (back when we all were still playing D & D), I ran a game where I pitted two groups against each other.

Several members of Group One came up with the idea of luring Group Two into a trap. You remember the Hand of Vecna and the Eye of Vecna that were artifacts in the old D&D world where if you cut off your hand (or your eye) and replaced it with the Hand of Vecna (or the Eye) you'd get new awesome powers? Well, Group One thought up The Head of Vecna.

Group One spread rumors all over the countryside (even paying Bards to spread the word about this artifact rumored to exist nearby). They even went so far as to get a real head and place it under some weak traps to help with the illusion. Unfortunately, they forgot to let ALL the members of their group in on the secret plan (I suspect it was because they didn't want the Druid to get caught and tell the enemy about this trap of theirs, or maybe because they didn't want him messing with things).

The Druid in group One heard about this new artifact and went off in search of it himself (I believe to help prove himself to the party members...) Well, after much trial and tribulation, he found it; deactivated (or set off) all the traps; and took his "prize" off into the woods for examination. He discovered that it did not radiate magic (a well known trait of artifacts) and smiled gleefully.

I wasn't really worried since he was alone and I knew that there was no way he could CUT HIS OWN HEAD OFF. Alas I was mistaken as the Druid promptly summoned some carnivorous apes and instructed them to use his own scimitar and cut his head off (and of course quickly replacing it with the Head of Vecna...)

Some time later, Group one decided to find the Druid and to check on the trap. They found the headless body (and the two heads) and realized that they had erred in their plan (besides laughing at the character who had played the Druid)...The Head of Vecna still had BOTH eyes! They corrected this mistake and reset their traps and the Head for it's real intended victims...

Group Two, by this time, had heard of the powerful artifact and decided that it bore investigating since, if true, they could use it to destroy Group One. After much trial and tribulation, they found the resting place of The Head of Vecna! The were particularly impressed with the cunning traps surrounding the site (one almost missed his save against the weakest poison known to man). They recovered the Head and made off to a safe area.

Group Two actually CAME TO BLOWS (several rounds of fighting) against each other argueing over WHO WOULD GET THEIR HEAD CUT OFF! Several greedy players had to be hurt and restrained before it was decided who would be the recipient of the great powers bestowed by the Head... The magician was selected and one of them promptly cut his head off. As the player was lifting The Head of Vecna to emplace it on it's new body, another argument broke out and they spent several minutes shouting and yelling. Then, finally, they put the Head onto the character.

Well, of course, the Head simply fell off the lifeless body. All members of Group Two began yelling and screaming at each other (and at me) and then, on their own, decided that they had let too much time pass between cutting off the head of a hopeful recipient and put the Head of Vecna onto the body.

SO THEY DID IT AGAIN!... [killing another PC]

In closing, it should be said that I never even cracked a smile as all this was going on. After the second PC was slaughtered, I had to give in (my side was hurting)...

And Group Two blamed ME for all of that...

So let that be a warning to you - don't let your head get cut off unless you really know what you're doing.

-- Bob Apthorpe

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks, Bees! A masterful telling; far better than I could have told it.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:22 pm

goddamn it, I was trying to string it out until he started offering cash.

It was a hilarious one though.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 pm

nobody_important wrote:Thanks, Bees! A masterful telling; far better than I could have told it.

CTRL-C is the best storyteller in the world.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”