Dungeons & Dragons

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Quick question. Fighters can apply marks (combat challenge) to multiple targets, right? But paladins can only mark (divine challenge) one at a time?

There's a session tonight, and I think it will be a continuation of the first game, the one described in the opening post.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Correct. A fighter has the option to mark anything he takes a swing at, regardless of hitting.

A paladin can only mark one target once, and then once per turn damage a target that violates the mark. Divine power gives Paladins a second mark.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:45 pm

For last night's game we only had three players:
  • Estey (cleric)
  • Whauqina (wizard)
  • Piggy (paladin)
They woke up at the inn in Winterhaven and decided to set out for the last known whereabouts of Douven Staul. On the way they got ambushed by some kobolds seeking revenge for their fallen allies. Couple of kobold dragonshields (soldiers), a skirmisher, and a wyrmpriest (controller). The battle was rated as level 2 but scaled to 4 players (not 3), so it was a particularly tough fight for our intrepid heroes. The dragonshields quickly engaged and flanked the paladin, forcing the cleric to use all of his heals early on. The skirmisher stayed back until he could find a nice opening, while the wyrmpriest launched lots of energy orbs and buffed the rest of the kobolds. Piggy falls once but is quickly revived by Estey's healing word, and then he has to blow a daily power Beacon of Hope as his last ditch heal. Eventually the dragonshields go down to focused fire from Whauqina and Piggy, leaving the skirmisher and wyrmpriest left to mop up. They loot some gold but also find a necklace linked to the demon lord Orcus.

The party arrives at the dragon burial site, where they find a strange group gathered near a large, dark pit. There is a gnome and a few humans inside the pit unearthing some relic. Along the top edge of the pit on one side is a small green drake standing guard, and on the other side is a spectral apparition overseeing the others. The gnome calls out to the party asking what they are doing there, to which they respond they are looking for Douven Staul. The gnome claims not to have seen him, but the adventurers don't believe him so they roll Insight checks and all succeed against the gnome's Bluff check of 1. The party calls bullshit, so the apparition signals the attack.

The drake is closest to the group, so he runs over there and bites the paladin in the face with a crit, bloodying him. The cleric heals him up while the paladin tanks the enemy tank. The evil humans in the pit rush toward the group, but get taken out with a single scorching burst from the wizard. The gnome stays in the pit and fires his crossbow at various heroes, while the apparition starts to head down into the pit to join the gnome. The apparition reaches the recently scorched humans and resurrects one as a zombie rotter, and later raises the other. The party soon crushes the drake, and the cleric moves into the pit and turns undead, blasting the new zombies to bits with radiant light. The wizard moves along the upper edge of the pit and launches a ray of frost at the gnome which slows him. Unfortunately this gnome is a crafty fey creature and fades away into invisibility, granting him combat advantage and extra damage with his crossbow. The apparition creates shadow claws which rise up from the ground and grab the paladin, dealing ongoing necrotic damage. Estey brashly rushes in to engage the apparition and gnome together, and through the combined might of his divine power and Whauqina's acid arrow, both enemies are bloodied (if an apparition can truly be bloodied). However, Estey's decision to rush in turns out to be a poor one, as he is grabbed by shadow claws, gets flanked, and is downed. Piggy meanwhile is unable to force himself free of the shadow claws, and the only thing he can do is throw his three puny javelins, and once those are expended he can only fail to escape from the claws twice per turn. Estey, still affected by the claws' ongoing necrotic damage, is about to bite the big one. Whauqina has the chance to finish both foes with a single blast, but doing so would probably kill the cleric in the process, so instead she leaps into action and tries to climb down the steep slope of the pit but slips and falls. Still, she manages to launch a magic missile while prone. The apparition grabs her with shadow claws while the gnome runs up to her and hacks at her with his war pick. She is down. At this point, Estey is slain by the ongoing necrotic shadow claws, and the useless Piggy is quickly overwhelmed. Total party wipe.

I attribute this to a combination of Piggy's horrendous rolls, my incredible rolls, and Estey's poor decision to have the healer rush into combat alone. Whauqina was doing great, but she wasn't enough to save the other two. I wasn't expecting this outcome so I had to think of a way to salvage the situation. I don't want these guys to actually die because they might lose interest. So I retconned Estey's death and left all three of them unconscious. The apparition dissipates and the gnome makes off with the relic. Turns out Douven Staul is hidden under a blanket in the corner of the pit, bound and gagged by the gnome and forced to show them where the relic was buried. Now that they have recovered it, they have no further use for him so they leave him to die. Once the bad guys are gone, a friendly cleric passing by notices the fallen heroes and revives them. They find Douven Staul, alive, but he does not give them his locket (actually a +1 amulet of health), nor do they recover any treasure, nor do they get the quest experience for rescuing Douven Staul. They make their way back to Winterhaven to recuperate and prepare for the kobold camp.

I think these guys are a two-encounter-per-session group. Maybe once they get the hang of it and I don't have to explain the rules so much, they'll get to three. But for now they are two.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Awesome. Where do you get your adventure ideas, resource books?
i before e except after a few beers

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm using published adventures. The two I am using are available for free on the D&D website. Keep on the Shadowfell and Khyber's Harvest. They're pretty well done, you don't even need a DMG or MM since all the work has been done for you. The only thing you need is a way to present the battle maps, whether you find printable maps (and plot or print and tape together pages), draw it out by hand (on paper or erasable grids), or construct it with purchasable products (like dungeon tiles or dwarven forge). If you buy the actual adventure it comes with poster maps so it's already taken care of.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Kauser, rules question for you. Let's say a power has multiple damage types, for example a ray of cold death might deal "2d8 + 8 cold and necrotic damage." It's not 2d8 + 8 cold plus 2d8 + 8 necrotic, just 2d8 + 8 total damage, right? How is that affected by resistance and vulnerability?

Example, assume he rolls two 1s yielding 10 cold and necrotic. How damage is dealt to these targets:
  1. no resistance or vulnerability
  2. 5 cold resistance
  3. 5 cold resistance and 5 necrotic resistance
  4. 5 resist all damage
  5. 5 cold resistance but 5 necrotic vulnerability
I would think that "cold and necrotic" means it is a single attack with both properties, so that the answers would be:
  1. 10 (standard)
  2. 5
  3. 0
  4. 5 (since it is a single source of damage, the resistance only gets applied once...but I could be wrong)
  5. 10 (-5 for resist but +5 for vulnerability).
Not sure though, and PHB page 276 doesn't explain it. I thought I saw it in the rules somewhere once, but can't remember where. Or maybe you need both types of resistance to help mitigate the spell, in which case b. would be 10.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Let's take bets! I'm going for

a 10
b 10
c 5
d 5
e 15

ie you need to resist all types of attack to avoid damage. If I win you have to write a poem about it!

Actually now I've thought about it I think this must be correct, or attacks with more types of damage would actually be MORE likely to be evaded.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:01 pm

that seems to generous. I have absolutely no experience in DnD mind you, but resistances stack 100%? I would think you would take your best resistance and only apply that, so 10, 5, 5, still 5 but I'm even less sure of how vulnerabilities work.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

Another question for Kauser (along with a nudge to address the previous one). Is there an encumbrance system in 4th edition? I thought I saw something on it, but couldn't find it in the PHB. Did they basically just remove it, with the exception of -1 speed for heavy armor? What is the point of listing weights for armor and weapons and having a bag of holding if they don't mean anything?

Addendum: speaking of weapons and armor, what is the protocol on looting bodies after a fight? Can heroes take the gear off a dead foe, and if yes is it just for selling or can they equip them?

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Had a game of D&D last night, and I think it worked out very well. I attribute this to the classic four-man party:
  • Estey Light - half-elf cleric
  • Whauqina Djibouti - human wizard
  • Volcano Aguilera - dwarf fighter (new player)
  • Willis - halfling rogue (new player)
When last we met our intrepid heroes, they had been defeated by the spectral apparition of Kalarel, and failed to rescue Douven Staul. We retconned the cleric's death into mere unconsciousness, and made it so the new fighter and rogue were passing through and revived the group. They went back to Winterhaven to recuperate, and palavered with Valthrun the Prescient. He had done a scrying ritual to see a few weeks into the future, and as a result of having recovered the artifact from the dragon burial site, Kalarel was able to open a rift to the Shadowfell, and the countryside was swarming with the undead. At great cost to himself, Valthrun was able to open a portal that would let the heroes go back to redo that fight at the dark pit.

Armed with knowledge of their foes, as well as new allies, they handily bested Kalarel's apparition and recover the artifact. It was not magical, but it was worth a bunch of gold. Additionally, they rescued Douven Staul who had been captured by Kalarel's minions and forced to reveal the location of the artifact. Before heading home, Douven removed a picture of his wife from the locket around his neck and gave it to his rescuers. It turned out to be their first magic item, a +1 amulet of health that grants a +1 to fortitude, reflex, and will defenses, as well as resist 5 poison. They also completed the Douven Staul quest for a hefty xp bonus, and they confirmed that there was definitely a cult of Orcus, demon prince of undeath, stirring shit up.

To recap, on their first night in Winterhaven, they had learned that the kobolds they encountered were part of a larger kobold group threatening travellers on the King's Road. Padraig, lord of Winterhaven, had asked them to eliminate the kobold threat once and for all. Additionally, they had asked an elf named Ninaran about any cult activity, and he suggested that the heroes investigate a nearby waterfall cave which was said to be the kobold lair.

High on their victory over Kalarel, the heroes decided to proceed directly to the waterfall cave. As they approached, hidden by a thicket of trees, they saw a large cluster of kobolds milling around outside the cave, one particularly tough-looking kobold standing in the center of a runic circle. Whauqina's knowledge of arcana identified it as a circle of power, granting a +1 attack bonus to anyone standing within. Willis, the plucky rogue, stealthily crept through the trees and devastates the kobold with a positioning strike, bloodying him in a single hit and pulling him out of the circle and into the trees where his waiting allies could quickly finish him off. The rest of the kobolds were merely a formality to clean up. However, one of the minions was able to escape through the waterfall to warn those within the cave, including Irontooth, their goblin leader.

The cave itself had three entrances. The rogue entered alone through the south entrance, while the rest came in through the waterfall entrance, leaving the north entrance alone. The kobolds within were prepared, but so were our heroes. Willis was able to take out two minions before being forced to retreat out of the cave to rejoin the others, while being pursued by a skirmisher. Whauqina smoked a cluster of minions with scorching burst, while Volcano rushed forward to meet another group and Estey took out stray minions with sacred flame, granting allies temporary hp. Soon they heard a loud bleating horn, signalling the arrival of Irontooth and a few more tough kobolds. Volcano was blocking a choke point, engaging Irontooth and the toughest kobolds, while the rest of the party had their hands full with the remaining skirmishers. Estey kicked off a crucial beacon of hope, weakening the skirmishers, healing the whole party, and boosting the effectiveness of all his subsequent heals. Willis and Whauqina finish off the skirmishers and start to focus on the kobold denwarden marking Volcano, while Irontooth continues his deadly assault flanking the fighter, and the wyrmpriest launches energy orbs. Willis finishes off the denwarden and starts to attack Iron Chef (as they started to call him), but the brutal goblin wielded two battleaxes and could attack the fighter and rogue at the same time. Estey and Whauqina focused on the wyrmpriest, and soon it was down to Iron Chef Flay, now in a blood craze. Volcano Aguilera dished out a brute strike (6d6 + 3!), but then got cut down by an enraged Irontooth, leaving Willis to tank through nimble dodging. Whauqina decided it was time for her daily power acid arrow even though it might splash onto Willis, who probably couldn't take it. Willis was able to duck the splash, and Irontooth got seared by acid, including some ongoing damage which counteracted his bloodied regeneration. At last, Whauqina launched the fatal magic missile, ending the kobold threat.

Irontooth's body had a pouch with a silver key that opened a chest with a bunch of gold in it, as well as a suit of +1 dwarven chainmail. The pouch also had a letter addressed to Irontooth from Kalarel, indicating he has a spy in Winterhaven and confirming that their goal is to open a rift to Shadowfell, and that the kobolds were working for Kalarel all along. Then it was back to Winterhaven for the victory feast. Next adventure: level two!

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 am

The D&D campaign I'm in is probably going to die, due to disagreements between the two GM's running it. In particular, one of the two is being a real fuckmonk.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:51 pm

two gms? well there's yer problem
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:13 pm

They did that so that they could have 18 players and run two groups simultaneously. And they did THAT so they could keep changing the timeline.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Sounds overly ambitious.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:43 pm

All of the good GM's projects always are. I really enjoy it, because I like making high-concept characters.

I hope they can pull this one out, I really enjoy this concept.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah, it definitely seems like the kind of thing that, if it works, would be a lot of fun and really memorable.

But it seems far more likely to fall flat on it's face.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am

That's a lot for tabletop. The most we've done was a Larp, and that was 3 Main ST's 4 assistant ST's and a rotation of about 7 PC's that could earn extra XP by doing NPC work. This was running for about 35 players,

Largest tabletop game I've been in was a DND4E game that had 8 players, 2 GM's, the second GM was just there for streamlining combat, and for when the party inevitably splits.

Right now, my main project is running a CoC game using the Cthulhu Live system. 5 players total, and we average a combat, every 5 or so sessions.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:30 am

Eolh wrote:Yeah, it definitely seems like the kind of thing that, if it works, would be a lot of fun and really memorable.

But it seems far more likely to fall flat on it's face.

The last two times it didn't. It actually wouldn't this time if, as I said, Jon weren't being such a fuckmonk. For isntance.

I know my characters are weird and high-concept, so I always go to the GMs, discuss the concept with the, we create the needed mechanics, and I have a character. I do this EVERY TIME, I get GM approval for EVERYTHING I DO. This time was no exception.

I sat down with both of them, I had this concept and a backup concept that was much less ambitious. They loved this one, and helped me get it out there.

About three months in, Jon decided to change one of my principal mechanics, which forced me to make MASSIVE changes to how I was playing the character. I had to play him in a way I really hated.

We had a break there for the holidays, during which I drafted changes that would move things back towards where I had been, while addressing his stated concerns. Curtis, the good GM, thought they were great changes, and we just needed to talk to Jon about it.

Jon refused to answer my emails or phone calls. So I have no idea what is going on with it.

A few nights ago, someone noted that the rules for one of the custom classes for the game world (available to all players, and my base, pre-prestige class) had been stealth-altered by Jon. I went and looked, to find out that a bunch of the shit that I had written specifically for my character was now against the rules for my character. Keep in mind we're about six months into the campaign now.

This is the sort of shit that is ruining the game, and making people very unhappy. It really has nothing to do with the concept itself, or the size of the group.

And Kauser, we run people in a series of 6 person groups. People get shuffled between groups as the timelines change. Two groups run simultaneously so that timelines can change literally at will during the sessions. In fact, one character had a dark half and a light half, that were in each group, and as the timelines changes he would flip between them, switching groups. It was pretty cool.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:13 am

I am out of RSS articles and the D&D game is still going!

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 am

I think I'm going to drop out of this game. I just... I can't take D&D nerds. Jesus FUCK they are so annoying. And my schedule is just too fucking restrictive to get away from them.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”