Dungeons & Dragons

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:46 am

The game I'm in just transplanted the game I was running Sundays. Other than the obvious benefit of me not having to run a game Sunday anymore, we've added a close compatriot of mine to the roster. The game has officially become a three way contest between us destroying the GM's hopes and dreams, Him escalating power until we all just die, or his wife rage quits because the stuff on par for us can't be hit by her so she spends 4 hours every other week rolling and missing.

New trick up my sleeve, level 10 warden that's dealing 2d6+22, and everything within 2 squares of me gets slowed and is in difficult terrain. Oh, I can also second wind twice for 4 surges total, and have to be killed twice to stay dead.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:07 am

Why can't she hit it? Lower level or bad stat allocation?
i before e except after a few beers

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 am

Its a combination of several things. First, she's playing a fourth edition bard, which is the weakest leader class when it comes to healing and the toughest to play. This is in combination with that she is relatively new, so the character isn't as good as it could be, which is coupled with the fact that the GM generally scales the monsters up heavily. More often than not what we wind up fighting has the stat and hp mods of elites, though we generally don't get any extra XP for them. She has a +9 to hit, compared to the next lowest which is a +13, which is from the party's controller. Both defenders and strikers are sitting around a +14. Typically, this isn't that bad in of itself, because the bard can usually attack non AC defenses which are supposed to be lower (the whole chink in the armor). However, most mobs we fight generally seem to have the default stat block of 26AC 24Fort 24Reflex 24Will. And AC in this game is worthless for a PC to have, as typically the numbers being slung at us are in the mid 30's without rolling a critical hit (rolling a 20) Can usually estimate a +16-+17 mod from his numbers. The average AC of the party is 24

Basically, we have an arms race type escalation. We come up with something new, the GM reacts disproportionately. The only person in the game that has not significantly improved their character in response to this is the person playing the bard. Quite literally, she is playing a casual build in a game full of near optimal and power builds. Over half the party usually has enough damage mitigation to the point where she winds up spending her healing powers on herself, or the controller in the event some random OBTW effect causes our frontlines to fail.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Is that even very fun? And speaking of D&D, I'm running a session tonight. I've got encounters prepped that they may not even find, especially the one(s) behind secret doors and/or illusory walls.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:00 pm

For her? That's very doubtful. Her husband is the gm, and he really doesn't show a lick of mercy. I fully expect her to punch him in the face one of these days. I think there might be a couple people who aren't fully aware of the situation that think they're having fun, but I'm more of a realist. The gm has basically stated that the game is us versus him.

Extra encounters are always handy in my book.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:50 pm

I hate the existence of optimum and power builds. Also people who use the phrase "crunchy bits" should have their balls torn off by wolves. And no, Dave, I do not care if your fucking claws are on fire.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:59 pm

If it has a complex set of rules, then there will exist archytypes that are simply better than others.

Its for this reason that ny CoC games generally lack a complex set of rules.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I just hate the people who approach the thing as some kind of competition. I don't give a fuck about trying to find the power build. We actually have events every year specifically for those sorts of people. I want to play a game with an interesting story, I don't want to sit and hunt for fucking obscure rules for 20% of the time, and I don't give a shit how much damage your character can do in just one swing, and whether that's more or less than some other arbitrary asshole in the game.

I play an intensely selfish character that literally can live forever if he doesn't get killed violently or through supernatural bugfuckery. He has probably lived for thousands and thousands of years. He's also not a huge combat character, so he doesn't want to get into fights, and will run if he thinks he's outclassed. Every time this happens, everyone reacts with stark amazement. Why the hell would you ever run from a fight? That's insane! Last session they wanted to go through the shadow realm and talk to the Lady of Raven's, to save a week of travel time. I had to completely metagame and just ignore my character, because the entire party had basically pre-decided to do this, and they didn't want to describe it in any way besides "man think of how cool it would be!" I'm just sick to fucking DEATH of this shit.

Honestly, D&D is a shit game. Everything it does well, everything it's good at, can be handled just fine in a videogame. Everyone goes on and on about the storytelling and the interaction with the gamemaster blah blah blah and none of that fucking matters to the game. It's not made for that. It's made for people to try and find infinite damage loops and all this bullshit. Stupid, sad people that I loathe the core of.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

God I can't figure out how to stop being angry about this.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:50 pm

You should consider playing Amber.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Maybe, I'm not sure how much I would like the world. I've always been pretty lukewarm on the books. I do really like Future Shock, though, which is another story-based, diceless system. Good fucking luck finding someone to play with, though.

Seriously though, 24 hours later and my heart rate is still running 15 beats higher from this. All I do is imagine violently killing these people, over and over.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Just got chewed out for an hour and a half via Facebook for quitting the campaign before I had the good sense to just shut the fucking chat program down. Now I am much, much angrier. I didn't think that was fucking POSSIBLE.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

We didn't have much time to play last night, but here's what happened. Same group as last time.
  • Estey Light - half-elf cleric
  • Whauqina Djibouti - human wizard
  • Volcano Aguilera - dwarf fighter
  • Willis - halfling rogue
After clearing out the kobold lair, the party has been going on patrols along the road for a few days and observes that the kobold threat truly seems ended. As such, a trade caravan has been able to make its way to Winterhaven. Whauqina bought a +1 wand of force orb, and Willis bought a +1 magical dagger. One night at Wrafton's Inn, Valthrun the Prescient approached them and told them he had been doing some research and found that the death cult is likely operating out of an old keep about a day's travel away. This keep was created long ago, but not to stand watch over the land. A rift to the Shadowfell was found there and later sealed by a great paladin named Sir Keegan, and a keep was erected on the site to stand guard over it. One night, Keegan woke up in a frenzy and killed his wife and children. The guards ran to see what was happening, getting easily killed by the crazed paladin. The survivors ran from the keep never to return.

The party then approached Ninaran, the loner elf in the corner, and asked him if he was familiar with the name Irontooth. She claimed not to be, and the party's insight couldn't determine one way or the other whether she was lying. They bought her a drink, after which Willis tried to pick her pocket but failed; luckily she did not notice the attempt. Volcano decided to get a bit saucy and slammed down the note they recovered from Irontooth, claiming that Kalarel had a spy in Winterhaven. She was clearly intimidated by this, but didn't know anything about the spy.

The next morning the party set out for the keep. They neared it during the late afternoon, yet the sky seemed to get darker faster than it should have. A chill wind howled in their ears. The keep itself was a ruin, and at the base of the keep was a small, dilapidated village with a foul odor emanating forth. As they got closer, they heard a moaning. Zombies! Specifically, zombie horde skill challenge. Way too many to actually kill. The rogue jumped past a groping zombie arm and took cover in an empty shack. The fighter sprinted to that shack and created a barricade. The wizard realized that a subtle green pulsing glow coming from the keep was definitely related to this zombie uprising. The cleric knew that his god Bahamut was not a fan of zombie hordes, and used the Turn Undead power to clear out a cluster of zombies. The party was able to get past the rest and make their way into the keep.

They descended the stairs into a room with four pillars with lit torches, and several passageways. Willis stealthily moved along one passageway and peeked through a curtain and saw a figure moving in the shadows, but couldn't identify what it was. Volcano followed him. Whauqina suddenly took a crossbow bolt in the leg from a goblin hiding in a different passageway, and another goblin appeared in that passageway to taunt Whauqina and Estey. Whauqina moved up for some burning hands action, but fell into the pit trap that had been covered with a canvas, colored to match the stone of the rest of the ground. Inside the pit, rats! Having fallen about ten feet on her substantial backside, Whauqina launches her burning hands at the rats killing about half of them but getting bitten in the process. Estey said a healing word for Whauqina and threw down a rope. A third goblin appeared with the other two, so Willis and Volcano moved to engage. Meanwhile, Whauqina stood up and climbed the rope, then tested out her new wand to launch a force orb at the goblin sharpshooter. Critical hit obliterated that goblin, but the goblin warrior was able to dodge the blast. Estey kept the group in tip top shape, while Volcano and Willis finished off the other two goblins. This was as much time as I had this evening, so the party reluctantly decided to make camp here. Maybe we'll be able to get another session this week.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 pm

The guy who was chewing me out sent me another message through Facebook. So I sent him one back, intentionally trying to piss him off to the point where he would stop sending messages. Then he got mad and told me to stop sending messages, which was hilarious enough that of course I kept on sending messages. He has now unfriended me! Kind of a hilarious ending to a stupid chapter.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 pm

• Estey Light - half-elf cleric
  • Whauqina Djibouti - human wizard
  • Volcano Aguilera - dwarf fighter
  • Piggy - dragonborn paladin
After waking up from an extended rest in that goblin guard room with the pit trap, the party decided to listen at a few doors. One door had a faint moaning sound coming from the other side, and they couldn't hear anything from the other door. There was a passage that didn't have a door and they didn't investigate that one. They decided to go through the door to the east with no moaning. They descended some stairs, and at the end of the corridor was a large room that looked like someone had been digging through the stonework flooring in excavation. They also heard goblins arguing, but didn't understand the language. However before proceeding into the room, they noticed something strange on the wall of the corridor. It was a secret door that opened to some stairs leading up.

They decided to clear out the excavation site first to cover their rear once they went up the secret door. The goblins had excavated a large portion of the room, digging through the stone and about ten feet into the dirt beneath. There were still several islands of unexcavated stone flooring, and some of these were connected by narrow wooden planks. There was also a ramp and a few ladders allowing access between the pit and the normal level. There were two goblins and two small drakes, and the goblins tried to get the better of the party by throwing alchemist's fire (like a molotov cocktail) while the drakes kept the party busy. Thrilling heroics ensued, including Volcano tumping over a plank when a drake tried to cross it, sending it into the pit below. He then tried a standing jump to cross the gap he'd just created, and didn't quite make it. Rather than try to grab onto the ledge, he braced himself for the landing and landed on his dwarven feet. Eventually the party prevailed and looted a +1 symbol of battle, which Estey could use to enhance his divine power.

The party proceeded up the stairs beyond the secret door. At the top of the stairs was a wall, the other entrance to this passage. They silently opened it and found themselves in a small sleeping chamber set off by thick tapestry curtains. There was a bed with a fat, sleeping goblin and a chest at the foot of the bed. The party debated capturing and interrogating him, but in the end they decided to have the fighter stealthily approach and dash his brains with his daily power in a brutal coup de grace. Poor Balgron the Fat. They peered out the curtain and saw no one else in the room, which had a pair of locked double doors that led to a goblin habitat. They decided to simply search Balgron and use his keys to open the chest, recovering a nice sum of gold and a +1 magical javelin which went to Piggy. Then they went through the secret door, back to the entrance to the keep, and proceeded to the double doors with the moaning.

Beyond the doors there was darkness, so the wizard cast light upon the end of her staff, and held it up to find many branching paths. The moaning was coming from a small room to their left, and it sounded like these zombies were stirred to action by the presence of this new light source. The party decided to hold their actions to draw the zombies out which worked like a charm. Zombies rotters were incinerated by holy light, and the tougher zombie did not fare much better. The small room was a crypt with recessed shelves holding long-dead corpses, and at the other end was a passageway with dim light coming through. The party debated checking out the light or checking out the labyrinth, and decided go for the light.

They found themselves in a chapel of sorts, shaped like a cross, with five pairs of stone sarcophagi lining the nave of the chapel. These sarcophagi depicted soldiers in plate with swords held aloft, and there was some indecipherable draconic script that had worn away long ago. As the party approached the altars to the east, there was a loud bang as all of the sarcophagi slammed open, disgorged a skeleton, then slammed shut. Suddenly our heroes were surrounded. Most of these skeletons carried swords and shortbows, but there were two that wore chainmail and carried swords and shields. Many skeletons quickly fell to Estey's power to turn undead, Whauqina's burning hands, and Volcano's cleaving attacks. Piggy waded through the decrepit skeletal minions to engage the tougher warriors, with Volcano catching up shortly after. These warriors were giving them a run for their money, and suddenly there was another loud bang as a "fresh" group of skeletal minions arrived. Estey couldn't turn undead again but that didn't stop him from taking them out one by one, while Whauqina relied on scorching burst to incinerate them as best she could. The skeletal minions, realizing Whauqina was their greatest threat, single-mindedly focused all their arrows on her, even if it meant opening themselves up to opportunity attacks. She was forced to fall back, but they pursued. Soon they were taken down, as were the skeletal warriors that Piggy and Volcano had been working on. As they proceeded toward the altars, there was another loud bang and another group of skeletons. These sarcophagi were a bunch of dicks! Volcano entered the altar area, where high above was a dome with the image of a great flying dragon with silvery scales, but couldn't read the draconic script. Piggy approached and recognized his patron god Bahamut, and he read the script which instructed him to kneel at an altar and offer praise to the Platinum Dragon. He did so, and immediately a silvery-white light came through the dome to flood the chapel. The skeletons which had surrounded Estey and Whauqina were whisked back into the sarcophagi with one final bang. Piggy searched the altar and found a secret compartment and picked the lock. Inside were three small dragon statues, clearly worth gold coin, but perhaps bearing more value than simple monetary worth. Piggy gave one to Estey, one to Volcano, and took the last for himself.

At the end of the chapel were thick double doors. After a short rest, the party entered a small tomb with a raised dais with a large stone coffin. The stone lid had a figure of a great warrior in plate holding a sword across his chest with the point down toward his feet, all Aragorn style. Piggy approached the coffin and its lid exploded into dust, and a very imposing skeleton stood up from it. This skeleton wore plate armor and carried a gleaming longsword, and bellowed, "The rift must never be opened. State your intentions or prepare to die!" The party had discovered the tomb of Sir Keegan, and had to convince him that they shared a common goal. After questioning the party about their faith, resolve, and knowledge of unnatural forces, Keegan was convinced of the party's intentions. He told them of how he once stood watch over the rift to the Shadowfell. Orcus's vile taint seeped through the rift and it eventually drove him to madness. He killed his family and his guard captains before being driven back. He came to his senses but it was too late, the damage had already been done, and he sealed himself away in this tomb. He was beyond redemption but perhaps his sword Aecris was not. This magical longsword had a platinum inlay that gleamed with silvery light. It had three white diamonds lining the flat of the blade, and its pommel was carved to resemble the head of the great Bahamut. Piggy respectfully took possession of the great weapon, and pledged to honor Keegan's memory by sealing the rift once and for all.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Skye brought me with him to his Star Wars roleplaying game. for nerds.

Bunyip
I AM ERROR

Postby Bunyip » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 pm

I hope you can be a gay pink wookiee hardresser or else what's the point

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 am

You can't, that shit is reserved for cosplay.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 am

Actually they were roleplaying contractors, plumbers to be exact. One was some sort of rock man and another was a bipedal whale?

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”