Minecraft

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Minecraft

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:21 am

That's right, I went there.

First in-game day is kind of a pain. I thought coal was supposed to be common, but I haven't been able to find squat yet, which means no torches, which means squatting in a dark hole all night so things don't kill me and leaving my character near the lone hole so I don't lose track of my orientation.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 am

Finally found coal, and therefore now have torches, and therefore now this game is even more awesome even though my 'home' currently consists of an awkwardly-dug tunnel going ever downwards.

Even for those of you who don't really feel like you want to know much about the game, this is a fun read and gives a good idea of the game.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Can you capture and train kindly animals (ducks, cattle, etc.) to find coal for you like you can in real life?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 pm

I should take pictures of my totally awesome wizard's tower that I built on a multiplayer server. I built it with player damage off, though, so it kind of seems like cheating.
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:14 am

Not sure I really like the possibility of torches being made to run out and having to be re-lit after a future update. Unless they make lanterns (what would be the new permanent lighting) much easier to make, this is going to be a ridiculous load of micro-management when even the least of mines can have hundreds upon hundreds of torches in it.

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:51 am

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by that announcement. Either lanterns have to be easier to make or the stone that emits light needs to be brighter.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 am

UGH.

I was mining obsidian, channeling water over a field of lava. blocking the water, mine rinse repeat. I fucking fat fingered and fell into a 1x1 pit with lava in the bottom. I lost.. FUCKME.. almost a whole STACK of obisidian. TWO DIAMOND PICKS a FULL SUIT of metal armor. torches. iron. like.. HOURS of prospecting and then mining work. I'm SHAKING with self rage.

goddamn this game is awesome.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 am

That sounds genuinely awful.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 am

Oh, it was, believe me. And I haven't even found gold yet, let alone diamond.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:16 pm

to get diamond you must dig deep. get to bedrock, then it's the 9 or so blocks above bedrock you must strip mine. of course, that's also the lava zone

it takes like 20 seconds to break an obsidian block with a diamond pick. now that I've had time to cool down, I've got to say i'm impressed with the loss. it's been such a long time since a game punished me for fucking up, and i miss that feeling.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Yeah, I hear you there. When I typically go out exploring, even in my home area, I typically only take the bare-bones essentials with me; that way, at least if I die on the way to... wherever, I don't lose too much.

Well, last night, I decided to take a boat. Across the sea. WAY across the sea.

Without a compass.

FUCK.

(For the non-player; a 'compass' in this game will always point towards your spawn point, which remains constant. Which is why it's generally a good idea to establish your initial base near that point.)

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 am

Yeah, then it's a good idea to stash some chests at each of your bases that has at a minimum a pick, some armour and a bucket or two.

nobody_important
HAM SANDWICH?!

Postby nobody_important » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Too-Much-Coffee-Mistress wrote:Well, last night, I decided to take a boat. Across the sea. WAY across the sea.

Without a compass.

FUCK.

I've done this exact thing so many times. I got lost on a multi-player server once, and was only able to find my way home by drawing a giant compass rose on the frozen ocean and waiting for the integrated Google map to show it (it updates once a day.)
"I'm gonna name it after Nancy!" "What, Pushover?" "Yes! Because that's what she does!"

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Turned the upper level of my house into a giant obsidian farm. So now the upper level of my current home is 3 times the size of both floors below it and even with one corner of those floors... so it sticks out. Just a bit. :lol:

(Not that I can do anything with it yet, haven't been able to find a single scrap of diamond so far and I'm turning my previously beautiful mine into a network of honeycombs on the lower levels...)

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:52 pm

YAY DIAMOND! I now have a giant portal to hell right behind my house, where I can hear the howls of the damned every time I walk through the entrance to my mine (which is right underneath!)

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Portals to hell are.... good?
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 pm

That may be exaggerating a little, lol. The portal does make a weird keening sort of noise that can be heard whenever you're near it, but basically what's on the other end is a mostly very dark world with loads of lava, a couple of new, particularly powerful enemies, and some materials you can't get in the regular world. One of those enemies, a ghast (looks like a giant floating white emo ghost thing that shoots fireballs) makes a really creepy fucking noise that does kind of lend to a spooky sort of atmosphere. All of the ground can be lit on fire with a flint and will burn permanently.

You can see a sort of walkthrough here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YhBkVfQ ... d#t=02m55s

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm

The beta broke my inventory.... can't pull any item out of a chest to stick in the bottom row of my inventory, or vice versa.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 am

I finally got started playing this yesterday, I've had too many other games occupying my time recently.

At 6am I decided it was time to go to bed.

I've found stacks of coal and the red dust at the bottom of my mine, 3 pieces of gold, no diamond and far too little iron. Luckily for me, my spawn point faced directly towards a mountain with a cliff that had an exposed coal seam. I've been hollowing out the top half and roofing it with glass.
i before e except after a few beers

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 am

well jesus. I'm never playing minecraft again, all it does is remind me of my inadequacies, next to this guy:

it's the ymca swim team when i was nine all over again

Jason Mustian

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”