Minecraft

Saddo haunt, post game-over

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:19 pm

OMGBEES wrote:I also have one and not the other; I think we have opposed skills! We should cut ourselves in half, and assemble into one happy, actualized indvidual, and one that immediately kills itself.

Dibs on the non-suicidal one! Although, if those two got married, the kids would be exactly like the originals before cutting in half. Or we'd have a bunch of suicidal kids. Less commitment that way, I think.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Satistically, we'd have one actualized kid, two original-style kids, one suicidal, and one extra-crispy.
Evocation vs. Definition: Become the water that names are writ in.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 pm

stop perverting mendel's laws!
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:51 pm

THEN WHY DID HE MAKE THEM.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Dude loved him some peas.
i before e except after a few beers

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:02 pm

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?comic=042511

Apparently you can train wolves now?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Aye. NOT THAT I'VE MANAGED TO FIND ANY YET, NOTCH, JUST SAYING
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon May 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Completely lost my spawn point while exploring. I had thought the compass would still direct back to the original spawn point; turns out that wasn't the case, and then I died and restarted at the latest bed. Fortunately, I found a program called mcedit which, while primarily for shifting blocks and importing larger projects, is also useful because it allows you to reset your player position and spawn point. Took me a bit of exploring, but I did manage to finally find my house. Here's the link:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=15522
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 am

I bought the Humble Indie Bundle so I played a bunch of Minecraft on a friend's server today.

It crashes every ten minutes or so and does not give even the most basic of fucks. The sole element of tutorial I got was "hit e to open your inventory." It didn't even tell me to right click to use things. That's not even an option in the settings. What the fuck, game.

I mean, it has a key setting for "toggle fog" (AND SERIOUSLY WHAT THE SHIT DOES THAT DO) but nothing for "right click on things to use them". Why would you do that?

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 am

SMP (Survival multiplayer) is still way buggier than the main single player game, hence the crashing. That said, the server I run hasn't crashed in forever, so not sure what's going on there.

The 'toggle fog'... toggles fog. It changes the draw distance.

And yeah, I agree that it could use a tutorial, but I don't think the lack of one is that onerous.

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

I think the 'craft' element of minecraft could use some explanation. I worked out how to build a bunch of wooden hoes but otherwise there isn't really any help for that side of the game if you don't visit the wiki pages.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:SMP (Survival multiplayer) is still way buggier than the main single player game, hence the crashing. That said, the server I run hasn't crashed in forever, so not sure what's going on there.

The 'toggle fog'... toggles fog. It changes the draw distance.

All it seems to do is redraw the screen for me.

And yeah, I agree that it could use a tutorial, but I don't think the lack of one is that onerous.

Because obviously if you combine two sticks and three planks you get a wooden pickaxe. Or an axe, depending on how you arrange the planks. Just like the pilgrims used to do!

Seriously, at the very, very least, it needs to tell you things like: You place blocks on the surface of other blocks, and they will stick to any surface. All that shit you're making, you can use it by right-clicking on it. (THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT KEYS AND IT IS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE.) You need to build a crafting table before you can make pretty much everything. If you don't build a torch you are going to be screwed - oh, and the lighting engine can't accommodate dynamic lighting, so don't build one torch, build HUNDREDS of them. Hold the button down to harvest things; every time you release it the material will repair itself, so clicking quickly, despite it LOOKING like you are moving faster, actually won't do anything. Sometimes you will harvest a block and it will look like it's there but then you will fall through it anyways. That's fucking life, get used to it.

There's so much basic, fundamental information that you can't get except through cheating. Not to mention it running out of memory every ten minutes like freaking clockwork, despite only using one-third the RAM I've allocated to Java. WHAT IS IT DOING.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm

It looks as though the next update is going to possibly include dynamic lighting.

Important pages:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials#Newcomers

http://www.minecraft.net/help.jsp

Hold the button down to harvest things; every time you release it the material will repair itself, so clicking quickly, despite it LOOKING like you are moving faster, actually won't do anything.

Seems preferable to beating your left mouse button to death to me.

I'm not saying the game couldn't use a basic tutorial, but I don't think it's nearly that obnoxious. All the necessary info is easily locatable (linked off the main site where people normally initially purchase and download the game, no less).

As far as I'm concerned, the pluses of this game far outweigh a bad learning curve.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:18 am

Oh no, beating your left mouse button to death is actively slower. As I said, every time you let up on the left mouse button, the material starts to "heal", undoing your work. So even though your fist is flying out considerably faster, making it look like you are doing more work, you are actually doing less.

I got the thing mostly stabilized in SP. In order, I:

1. Updated the texture pack that a friend had given me.
2. Reinstalled Java and immediately did -Xmx2000m
3. Switched it from fancy to fast and back to fancy.

Each step made it occur less and less, until # 3 fixed it. #3 needs to be performed from time to time, as it seems to fix when the world or the blocks I'm placing go invisible.

I found out also that my SP was partly a horrible bitch because I built my house next to a cave with a dungeon in it that spawned creepers. I didn't realize that waking up every day to 3-5 creepers out in front of your house was odd. I got that squared away. However, the area in front of my house is FUCKED as I went through a good 40-50 creepers getting to this point, so the thing is just a nightmare of craters. My house is now 4 blocks in the air, rather than at ground level, and needs a bridge over the moat that has been blown open in front of it.

On the plus side the creepers basically blew a canyon from in front of the cave opening to in front of my house. This canyon traps monsters in it, should they ever decide to come, and also for some reason seems to really trap pigs. So hey, that's pretty useful.

Additionally, the dungeon had enough iron ingots in it to fit me entirely in iron tools and armor. So things are a little better there.

In the MP, I'm lost in my friends house and can't find my way out.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 am

OMGBEES wrote:I found out also that my SP was partly a horrible bitch because I built my house next to a cave with a dungeon in it that spawned creepers. I didn't realize that waking up every day to 3-5 creepers out in front of your house was odd. I got that squared away. However, the area in front of my house is FUCKED as I went through a good 40-50 creepers getting to this point, so the thing is just a nightmare of craters. My house is now 4 blocks in the air, rather than at ground level, and needs a bridge over the moat that has been blown open in front of it.

On the plus side the creepers basically blew a canyon from in front of the cave opening to in front of my house. This canyon traps monsters in it, should they ever decide to come, and also for some reason seems to really trap pigs. So hey, that's pretty useful.

Holy crap, yeah. There's little more nightmarish or annoying than 3-4 creepers in a row.

So, as an aside, if you're interested I have a multiplayer server of my own; if you'd like to check it out, let me know and I'll shoot you the ip address. I don't keep it up all the time, but typically when I'm going to have it up I'm also on AIM, so you could msg me on there and tell me to start it the hell up.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm

I need to come up with a system for this game. Inevitably, if I find anything cool and rare and say diamond, it's in the bottom of a truly, insanely massive cave system, one in which I inevitably end up lost and wandering until something kills me, almost invariably a skeleton who pops up out of nowhere and knocks me off of something. Then I can't find my corpse because who knows where the hell I was.

I thought maybe the compass would be a good idea, but man, they are kind of stunningly useless.

The best system I have so far is to draw little arrows with cobblestone.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 pm

When I'm mucking about underground, I will usually make passages leading back to the surface 2 blocks wide and make specific mining passages one block wide, and I'll demarcate major openings with loads of torches.

Also, diamond can occasionally be found in decent quantities around lava. I would recommend digging down to one level above bedrock, searching out lava lakes, and then digging all around them.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:19 am

As I'm getting better at it, the arrows are getting pretty useful. I also have started putting torches only on the left-hand wall unless I really can't do that. That way, if the torches are on the left, I'm going deeper. If they are on the right, I'm going shallower. Between the two systems, I was able to get out of a deepish mine in about 5 minutes, which is good progress.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 am

GOD DAMN IT. I finally built up a diamond pick, shovel, sword, and half my armor. I'm walking back from a successful spelunking trip, beat up and out of food but carrying another 9 diamond, two stacks of iron, two stacks of redstone, a half stack of lapis, and a half stack of gold. Suddenly a skeleton pops out of the shadow of a tree where apparently the sun doesn't hit, snipes me, and knocks me into a pit, killing me. I started to leave a trail of torches, but now I can't find it. I can't figure out where my body was, and I can't find this cave that has yielded all this diamond and is still half-explored. >.<

The things that are good about this game are great, but there are things like this that just make me want to quit. In particular: Fuck skeletons. Seriously I have no trouble killing a creeper using my bare fists unarmored, but skeletons fuck my shit up about one time in ten. It's infuriating.

OMGBEES

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Man, I finally started trying to build a tower, only to have it hit the height limit five or six blocks up. So I hollowed it out and filled it with water, creating a fun, kind of unpredictable waterfall that cascades off the mountain cap into the valley below, flooding out a little pocket in the bottom that I had dug into. I built a bridge over that... not too sure where to go from here. Might make a tower out the side of a mountain, also thinking of building a bridge across the valley and tunneling through to get to the other side of the opposite mountain. Just for ease of movement. Maybe poke some holes in the cap over the valley to let some light in, kill off the odd zombie and skeleton that pops in at night.

I do kinda wish you could build more STUFF to put in your house.

Return to “Nerdy Thoughts”