Hile, Gunslingers, For The Dark Tower Is Reached.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:47 pm

I just finished Wizard and Glass (Book 4). Easily my favorite so far. It was hard going back to Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy after spending so much time really getting to know Cuthbert, Alain, Susan, and Sheemie.

It sucks that 5, 6, and 7 aren't out in paperback yet.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:51 pm

Well, I think 5 and 6 are available in trade paper, but not mass market yet.

But about book 4, it seems like you either really like it or you can't stand it because it goes so slow and doesn't advance the plot. I liked it.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:05 pm

I've always been far more interested in characters than in plot with my fiction. I finally feel like Roland is a three dimensional character now, whereas before I kinda felt like he was a prop with a gun.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:53 pm

So I just started The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower. Song of Susannah was an extremely uneven book, thankfully it was relatively short. I fucked up though, and went to a Dark Tower site because I like to review odd connections and such in the books that I don't have time to discover and accidentally found out that:
[hide]Eddie dies from getting shot in the head by some dude I don't know about yet.[/hide]
I am pissed off at myself.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:25 pm

You fucking asshole. Stop reading those sites until you've finished the story. The spoiler you accidentally read is a pretty important one, but it's not that bad considering Stephen King's foreshadowing of it is like in your face. It even starts back in book 6.

The thing in book 6:
[hide]There's a line where Eddie thinks to ask Roland something some time, but he will never get a chance before death comes between them.[/hide]

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:15 pm

Done. Re-read this thread. Lots of interesting things to ponder.

My order of preference:

1) Wizard and Glass
2) The Waste Lands
3) Dark Tower
4) Wolves of the Calla
5) Drawing of the Three
6) Song of Susannah
7) The Gunslinger

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:19 pm

A couple weeks ago, Lobstrosity had finally gone back to read the last book, but he hadn't finished the final Coda. If he has since finished it, maybe we can get a fresh new discussion going.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:26 pm

I thought the writerly trick King uses at the end where he basically says
[hide]"You know you can stop here. You don't need to know anything else. Let your imagination inform the rest of the story, you'll be happier," and then being disappointed by us continuing was pretty great. As TMCM (I think) said earlier, of COURSE we're going to finish it, we couldn't not know what happens any more than Roland could turn away from the tower. I think that was kinda the point though. That if Roland were to save the Beams walk up to the Tower and blow his horn and then turn away...if he would use some imagination...he also would be happier. But King knew we were like Roland, that we had come so far and despite our better judgement (I think most who read it were at least momentarily tempted to turn away, like Suze did) we kept going.[/hide]

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have pushed Lobstrosity so hard to finish it. It should be up to him whether he wants to read, huh?

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:56 pm

Eolh wrote:I thought the writerly trick King uses at the end where he basically says
[hide]"You know you can stop here. You don't need to know anything else. Let your imagination inform the rest of the story, you'll be happier," and then being disappointed by us continuing was pretty great. As TMCM (I think) said earlier, of COURSE we're going to finish it, we couldn't not know what happens any more than Roland could turn away from the tower. I think that was kinda the point though. That if Roland were to save the Beams walk up to the Tower and blow his horn and then turn away...if he would use some imagination...he also would be happier. But King knew we were like Roland, that we had come so far and despite our better judgement (I think most who read it were at least momentarily tempted to turn away, like Suze did) we kept going.[/hide]

That's classic King.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm not going to read this thread. I DL'd the first book to my kindle though and so far I likey.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 am

I'm up to book three but stagnating. mostly because this shit is terrible.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 am

Seems like a fairly large change of opinion in a matter of months...
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Deep Throats”