Hile, Gunslingers, For The Dark Tower Is Reached.

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Hile, Gunslingers, For The Dark Tower Is Reached.

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:26 am

A spoiler warning should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. At least in regards to my own posts, I wouldn't recommend even reading further in this thread if you haven't read the final book. I'll still spoiler-tag them just in case, though.

[hide]After 34 years, Roland has finally reached his tower, and goddamn if I don't know how to feel about it. King reached in and grabbed something with these characters, and I hate to see what their ka's (and one's ka in particular) led them to. Death after death and sacrifice after sacrifice for Roland to once again be damned to repeat history. There's a part of me that wishes I could go back and take King's advice to not read the last part of the story, but I don't think I could've done that anymore than Roland could've stopped seeking the Tower, at least this time 'round. Maybe when I read through the series again in a few years, I can choose to not go into the Tower.

Redemption snatched away from him, the Artist's door as the last choice. Could Roland, instead of mourning Susannah's choice/loss, gone through the door with her, forgoing the Tower and leaving the Crimson King to his box of sneetches and Mordred to die a lonely death? Perhaps.

I'm kind of dissapointed in Susannah's actions as she made the choice as well. It seemed unnecessarily cold, and not at all like the person who had been with Roland for a long time and nearly to the end.

A quick note on the art: absolutely amazing. I still can't get over the half-spider, half-human image of Mordred in the snow.[/hide]

More about this tomorrow night most likely, but I've gotten very tired.

Edited by Bag of Ass
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Lobstrosity
Scientific American

Postby Lobstrosity » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Since I'm reading through the last book at a slow, leisurely pace, I shall not read your spoiler at this time. Have you finished the book? Right now I'm on page 361 and I suspect something both cool and sad (something King won't want to write and something I won't want to read, apparently) is about to happen shortly.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:58 am

Yeah, I've finished it. Books, when I really get into them, I just can't help but devour the hell out of. There's been enough times where I'll get so engrossed in a book that, having meant to be asleep by 3 or so, I'll close the book, look up, and find it suddenly to be 7, 7:30 in the morning.

As a purely editorial, spoiler-free complaint about the book, King uses foreshadowing like a damn sledgehammer in VII. Too much of it, too often. Every time something major is going to happen, I don't necessarily want to know about it 5, 6 subchapters before it actually goes down. Which leads into...

Right now I'm on page 361 and I suspect something both cool and sad (something King won't want to write and something I won't want to read, apparently) is about to happen shortly.

Ah, the battle at Algul Siento. I won't talk about that until you're past it. But, since you are where you are, [hide]what'd you think about how Flagg/Walter/etc. died? Seems a pretty crap way for someone who's been a major thorn in the King sub-universes, and especially in Roland's side, to go out. Cool and all, but still. You'd think there would've been at least one encounter with Roland before he became spider-appetizer.[/hide]

Edited by Bag of Ass
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:05 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Ah, the battle at Algul Siento. I won't talk about that until you're past it. But, since you are where you are, SPOILER

Yeah, I was hoping [hide] they'd have another confrontation and that Roland would eventually find a way to stop him. I guess that'd be pretty impossible because Walter is nigh unkillable (unless of course you cheat and hold him in place with a magic spider wire). I suppose they did get to have their little fight in the emerald palace in book four.

So Stephen King makes it pretty plain in this book that Walter and Marten and Flagg are all the same person...I'd always maintained some doubt before but he flat out states it in this one. He is NOT, however, John Farson or the Good Man (as I'd previously thought), but someone who helped them achieve their/his goals. I re-read the end of the first book and there he seems to say that Walter is not Marten, and that Roland would have to fight the Ageless Stranger (Marten/Flagg?) and the Beast before reaching the top of the Tower. Granted, this was the unrevised version, so it seems like King had a very different idea of the enemy structure way back then.[/hide]

Edit: removed the quoted spoiler, which doesn't properly protect from spoilage on some color schemes and/or browsers.

Edited by Bag of Ass
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:38 am

I hope what you quoted wasn't a spoiler.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:02 pm

Do not read this SPOILER unless you are through all of the third section (page 545):

[hide]Okay, so Stephen King foreshadowed the shit out of Eddie's death and the breaking of the ka-tet, which somewhat lessened the impact of it (at least the actual death was emotional). But omg, Jake's death was so sudden and out of the blue! And so soon after the loss of Eddie. And it was fucked up how it happened, too. Jake deserved better than that, but at least he didn't suffer for long.[/hide]

Edited by Bag of Ass
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:08 am

Fix the damn spoiler, man.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:28 am

What browser are you using? Because it looks to me like the spoiler is working.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:24 am

The spoiler you quoted, in both IE and Firefox, shows up in a light grey/white colour.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:38 am

. wrote:The spoiler you quoted, in both IE and Firefox, shows up in a light grey/white colour.

Should work alright anyway, unless someone is actively trying to read it.

Bag of Ass wrote:Do not read this SPOILER unless you are through all of the third section (page 545):

**[hide]Agreed. I'm not sure knowing ahead of time lessened the impact so much for me though, as I really liked Eddie. Jake, on the other hand... that was like a punch in the damn gut, especially as you said coming so soon after Eddie's death. Especially with Roland not able to be right there when he did die.[/hide]

The following spoiler section ABSOLUTELY NOT to be read unless you have finished the book:

[hide] In fact, the whole affair seems to become just a series of downers from there on out. It was a good ending, but damn. Roland getting the horn seems to be the only real bright spot. As I said before, Susannah's actions when she leaves Roland are just really, really cold, and at least as I saw it, really out of character for her at that point. Despite everything that happened. Her actually rolling back around to blaming Roland for everything bad that happened to her since being pulled through the door, seemingly discounting that Detta would likely still be hijacking her body for stealing and 'whorin' herself out to 'dem white boys' if it hadn't been for her being drawn through the door.

And what's up with her slowly forgetting almost everything that happened? What kind of growth is that for a character, when they forget nearly everything that they've gone through over the span of six books?

It basically comes down to feeling really sorry for Roland, I suppose. At the same time, I'm not sure I completely follow the very end. Are the beams in danger all over again? Were they ever in the first place?[/hide]

Edited by Bag of Ass

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:33 pm

. wrote:The spoiler you quoted, in both IE and Firefox, shows up in a light grey/white colour.

No such problems here. On either my CRT at work or my TFT at home.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:42 pm

It showed up as clear as day here.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Gobo
drum commie

Postby Gobo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:43 pm

When you quote the spoilers it keeps the color tags set to whatever was the background of the original post... so it ends up faintly visible when quoted.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 pm

I think it's a sub blue/sub black difference. I'm guessing Kauser, Plut and I are all on black. When quoted, the spoiler text stays white, which shows up very well on the black background.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:54 pm

I do use Black (and in this scheme, there is a large contrast), however, even in the default colour scheme, whatever it is, the spoiler quoted is still visible.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:03 pm

I use subSilver (the old default) and Internet Explorer, and the spoiler tag works like [hide]heaven[/hide]. As for you guys for whom the spoiler tag fails, I would recommend not going to this thread until you've finished the book, if you care to avoid spoilers that is.
Last edited by Bag of Ass on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Square721BT
Doom Cock

Postby Square721BT » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:47 pm

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'll never read this book series. On the other, it's because it holds no interest for me.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:40 pm

Default theme here too. It looks enough like our procurement system at work that I don't get busted at first glance. Then they notice the avatars.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:21 pm

Square721BT wrote:I'll never read this book series.

I won't ever read it either. That's not why I was actually rambling about being able to read the spoiler. One of these days, BoA or someone else is going to spoil something I actually like.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:30 pm

Oh wow, you're right. On subBlack, the quoted spoilers stand out. Stand out big big, say sorry. So, uhh, I'll try not to quote spoilers anymore.

Addendum: on smartBlue (current forum default), the quoted spoilers are very faint. Looks like they only work perfectly for subSilver (and bagtest and pobtest, which were both based on subSilver).

Return to “Deep Throats”