More news from The Land of "As Bush Pleases"

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Probably used as reference to the lower class areas. If I remember correctly the word just means strife.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:18 am

You know, that's the first picture of Talabani I've ever seen. No wonder Bush chose him, he looks just like a rich white guy.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:45 pm

It's actually body double # 43.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:49 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/opini ... ecede.html

So... the White House is stepping in to stomp on stories now, huh?

Christ. I'm going to start referring to Bush as the Smiler for the remainder of his term.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:24 pm

When George Washington finished his first term (which he didn't want to do in the first place), he wrote an essay. However, everyone begged him to stay on for another term so he did and he held on to that essay. When he finished his second term and the new country was more stable, he modified the essay and published it when he stepped down.

Washington's farewell address is a bit wordy and written in the old-fashioned language, but it's still pretty topical. It has several major themes:
  • The people should not be divided, which is to say he opposed political partisanship and rogue factions.
  • The US shouldn't stick its nose in foreign affairs.
  • Political leaders need morality, and you can't have that without religion.
The guy over at xkcd worked out a "translation" of this text into modern language. It's a pretty interesting read. Washington had a lot of foresight, and we as a country kind of did the opposite of what he recommends.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:35 pm

Apparently I'm not moral. Good to know.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Dynagrip
<b>Gossip</b> columnist

Postby Dynagrip » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Washington was probably a wood toothed tool.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:When George Washington finished his first term (which he didn't want to do in the first place), he wrote an essay. However, everyone begged him to stay on for another term so he did and he held on to that essay. When he finished his second term and the new country was more stable, he modified the essay and published it when he stepped down.

Washington's farewell address is a bit wordy and written in the old-fashioned language, but it's still pretty topical. It has several major themes:
  • The people should not be divided, which is to say he opposed political partisanship and rogue factions.
  • The US shouldn't stick its nose in foreign affairs.
  • Political leaders need morality, and you can't have that without religion.
The guy over at xkcd worked out a "translation" of this text into modern language. It's a pretty interesting read. Washington had a lot of foresight, and we as a country kind of did the opposite of what he recommends.

I was reading that yesterday during my lunch break it was quite awesome.. many of the comments from his readers were less so. It's pretty amazing how precient Washington was.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Makes you think.

Especially the next time someone haphazardly uses the phrase "Our founding fathers would've..."

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15 pm

Eolh wrote:Apparently I'm not moral. Good to know.

You have to remember to temper his remarks to the time period. our founding fathers were incredbily secular - for their time

the re-write is just trying to modernize the language but you could plausibly extrapolate that many of those guys, like benjamin franklin, would have probably been agnostic at the least and likely full atheist. these guys also owned slaves and didn't think anything was wrong with that, but that doesn't mean if they lived today they would still condone it.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Oh I understand, and honestly my comment was pointed more at Bag who found some relevance in the idea.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:20 pm

No I didn't. I was just pointing it out as one of the major themes of the essay.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:04 pm

WWGWBD via BoingBoing.

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm quite looking forward to watching this tonight. I guess some of you may have seen it hmm?

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 pm

Oh man, I wonder if we'll get that here. We get some BBC stuff on our Public TV station. Maybe it'll go up on the intertrons. Anyway the Franken/O'Reilly fued was hilarious. The infamous Book TV appearance was awesome.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:00 am

I was waiting for that one to degenerate into hate sex.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:02 am

What The Fuck?

At least before I could take comfort in the fact that it was a company from the good ole USA that was profiteering from this war. Talk about take the money and run.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:12 am

Didn't see that one coming. I also seem to have misplaced my white cane.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:39 am

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:45 pm

I actually feel a little bit humbled. The Brazilians and Columbians showed a ton more cahones than the american public does in their protesting bush. :?

Jason Mustian

Return to “Deep Throats”