More news from The Land of "As Bush Pleases"

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 pm

EDIT - (Rob, 21/9/13) Link to external website deleted at request of website host - basically the joke was that a coat hanger should work...

This should work
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:28 am

Jesus. These retards are going to want the definition of life pushed back so far eventually that you'll be able to be prosecuted for murder for changing your mind about getting pregnant...
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm

The idea that a woman can go to a doctor asking help with contraception, and that doctor can legally not only refuse to help her but refuse to even tell her what all her options are, juxtaposed with the fact that 1 in 4 women in the U.S. will be sexually assaulted or raped in their life sickens me.

Pick four women in your life. Think about one of them, having already gone through the horror of being raped, goes to a clinic or a pharmacy looking to get emergency contraception, and some asshole with a deluded midevil religious outlook decides he has the moral authority to push his fundamentalist ideas onto her body, probably coupled with a further judgement that the slut probably deserved it, and sends her packing with the additional horror that she can't even keep get help from keeping that already horrible but temporary act of violence from becoming a living nightmare of pregnancy, and an unwanted kid.

I've fucking had it, I want to get the fuck off this ride now.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:10 am

hobokenbob wrote:The idea that a woman can go to a doctor asking help with contraception, and that doctor can legally not only refuse to help her but refuse to even tell her what all her options are, juxtaposed with the fact that 1 in 4 women in the U.S. will be sexually assaulted or raped in their life sickens me.

I would have hoped that part would violate the Hippocratic oath, or at the least people who think that way would not become medical caregivers.

...actually that kinda reminds me of Dr Giggles....

I loved that movie.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Kauser wrote:
hobokenbob wrote:The idea that a woman can go to a doctor asking help with contraception, and that doctor can legally not only refuse to help her but refuse to even tell her what all her options are, juxtaposed with the fact that 1 in 4 women in the U.S. will be sexually assaulted or raped in their life sickens me.

I would have hoped that part would violate the Hippocratic oath, or at the least people who think that way would not become medical caregivers.

...actually that kinda reminds me of Dr Giggles....

I loved that movie.

I doubt very few doctors would be that shitty. I'm more concerned about bible belt influenced pharmacists.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm

you know what? fuck those other species we gotta drill!

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:39 am

They don't pay taxes.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:24 am

hobokenbob wrote:you know what? fuck those other species we gotta drill!

Sooooo sick of that populist, offshore drilling nonsense at this point.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm

you know I kind of at least somewhat agree with the ends even if I have a pretty big issue with the means.

Removing even that small amount of sience from policy decisions, anemic as it may be, at the first sign of science not telling you what you want to hear is a huge step backwards.

drilling the oil that's out there and already in US territory makes sense and should be done in a responsbile manner. But we have to start treating oil for what it is: it's essentially humanities one-time-use bonus, we can either just waste it, or take advantage of it to further technology and civilization to a point where we can replace it. So far we mostly waste it, I'd like to think that Big Oil and the government they own aren't complete retards and have seen that down the line they are going to need to change things up and expend some real effort at R&D. I'd like to, but I don't live in fantasy la la land. And of course they should have started doing that 25 years ago.

Jason Mustian

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm

I was reading through a timeline of events for the Fallout universe, not having played the games myself. Much of the crisis in the future is attributed to the oil shortages, though in this world it isn't really known about until the 2050's.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
i before e except after a few beers

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:23 am

The thing that irks me, is the oil in the gulf. I get the notion that we really don't want to drop an inky black wad on Alaska just yet, but the gulf of mexico WILL BE DRILLED, and if we aren't going to get on the ball, then it isn't going to be by us.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:37 am

hobokenbob wrote:you know I kind of at least somewhat agree with the ends even if I have a pretty big issue with the means.

Removing even that small amount of sience from policy decisions, anemic as it may be, at the first sign of science not telling you what you want to hear is a huge step backwards.

drilling the oil that's out there and already in US territory makes sense and should be done in a responsbile manner. But we have to start treating oil for what it is: it's essentially humanities one-time-use bonus, we can either just waste it, or take advantage of it to further technology and civilization to a point where we can replace it. So far we mostly waste it, I'd like to think that Big Oil and the government they own aren't complete retards and have seen that down the line they are going to need to change things up and expend some real effort at R&D. I'd like to, but I don't live in fantasy la la land. And of course they should have started doing that 25 years ago.

The problem is that, according to most estimates I've heard, there's fuck-all for oil between the OSD areas and ANWR; enough to satiate US energy needs for two years, tops. If even that, considering the speed with which the developing world's energy needs are ramping up.

And as far as Big Oil is concerned, I think they are retarded. Or, at least, that they're going to ride the oil horse until it drops down dead underneath them, because they sure as hell don't have the capability to easily or cheaply convert their existing infrastructure to any radically different type of fuel.

It really is populist nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. Jon Stewart was right when he said that OSD, in terms of getting us off of our heroin-like addiction to oil, is the equivalent of turning the kids' playroom into a heroin den.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced there is enough easily-gotten, quality oil left in order to get us to "further technology and civilization to a point where we can replace it." I think that domino has already been tipped.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm actually surprised that we still refine gasoline from oil as opposed to manufacture it synthetically. I find it hard to believe that no one has developed, or at least thought of a chemical reactor that can bond hydrogenated carbon.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 am

if you could eat it those corn chemist would have done it by now. the shit we make out of corn fucking stuns me.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:41 am

All of our polyethylene nalgene bottles in the lab are corn based.

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:47 am

I saw an article a few months back that they have a genetically engineered bacteria now that can make oil.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:43 pm

When they say stuff is made of corn, is that necessarily a good thing? I mean, doesn't it take a lot of land and water to make corn grow? Are they just using castoff corn material (like the husk and hair) that would otherwise go to waste, or are they producing extra corn for this purpose? Does it cut into the corn-as-food numbers?

OMGBEES
No! There wasn't any herpes.

Postby OMGBEES » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pm

In most years, we overproduce corn anyways. I would be surprised if it is an issue.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:When they say stuff is made of corn, is that necessarily a good thing? I mean, doesn't it take a lot of land and water to make corn grow? Are they just using castoff corn material (like the husk and hair) that would otherwise go to waste, or are they producing extra corn for this purpose? Does it cut into the corn-as-food numbers?

you'd be interested to read Omnivore's Dliemna. It's fascinating.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:When they say stuff is made of corn, is that necessarily a good thing? I mean, doesn't it take a lot of land and water to make corn grow? Are they just using castoff corn material (like the husk and hair) that would otherwise go to waste, or are they producing extra corn for this purpose? Does it cut into the corn-as-food numbers?

There is a difference between food corn and what they use for plastics, fuels and such, which is considered to be inedible.

Return to “Deep Throats”