Imm-igration! Imm-iGRATION!

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Imm-igration! Imm-iGRATION!

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 am

So. Someone had to bring it up. I felt compelled to do so. :)

Obviously, immigration seems to be the hot-button topic of the moment, so let's talk about it.

Current attempts to stem the flow of illegal immigrants are, for the most part, obvious political ploys at best and fairly well useless.

As I see it, there is a set of things that would need to be accomplished for the United States to at least significantly slow the flow of immigration into this country. Keep in mind, these ideas shouldn't be debated on the likelihood of their ever being adapted. Also, considering they involve at least the partial death of free trade, if you're a fiscal republican at all you probably shouldn't read this lest you break out into hives.

I. Improved technology at the border-This is one of the few, if only good ideas to be presented. Small, unmanned aircraft, remote cameras, synchronized satellite surveillance. The personnel is already there, 6000 national guard troops is a drop in the bucket and completely unnecessary.

II. COMPREHENSIVE loans and / or grants to Mexico. Strictly under our control. The vast majority of immigrants coming here are not criminals, and are flooding over here to escape the grinding poverty in their own country that is at least partially our fault. If we help to build and develop the infrastructure and resources of their home country, these people aren't going to want to come here.

III. Elimination of NAFTA, and the establishment of minimum wage rules for ANY company that operates inside the United States. When I say 'operates', I don't mean they have their headquarters located in our territory. I mean their goods get sold here in one fashion or another. The minimum wage would be, in whatever country they operate, a direct correlation to our own minimum wage (i.e., whatever $5.75? is over here, foriegn workers for these companies get paid the equivalent of.) We are the biggest consumer country on the face of the planet still, these companies would choke and die without our business.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Thu May 18, 2006 12:18 pm

Immigration's currently a hot topic in the UK too. More specifically it's gone tits up with egg over lots of faces and nobody's prepared to take responsibility.

From here.
An immigration minister has said it could take 10 years to deport all the illegal immigrants living in the UK.
Tony McNulty, speaking on BBC Two's Newsnight, said 310,000 to 570,000 was "roughly in the ball park" of how many illegal immigrants were in the country.

He said it would take a decade to remove them, on the basis that only so many could be deported each year.

Earlier Tony Blair had come under fire after saying there were no official figure estimates of illegal immigrants.

Mr McNulty said:"Assuming that we can find them, and assuming that people aren't going away of their own accord, it would take some time."

He said it would take "Ten years, if you are saying 25,000 per year."

"Remember too the illegal population as it is is multi-layered and segmented it's not just.. those climbing over fences," he added.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu May 18, 2006 12:48 pm

I'm surprised a 30 wide moat of burning crude oil across the southern border isn't an option that's still on the table.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu May 18, 2006 12:56 pm

No, but a giant fence is.. I guess that will stop people!

I wonder when Blair will decide to build a fence around the entire perimeter of the UK, following in Bush's footsteps.. Then we won't have any immigration issues at all!

:rotate:

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu May 18, 2006 1:13 pm

I remember the burning river of gasoline joke from Shorties watching Shorties.

NAFTA is a good one (scape goat wise).

Loans, I just don't agree with.

Some states have taken things into their own hands and started raiding and deporting people under the same guidelines used for breaking up cartel activity in the US.

Realistically, I think we should look at Mexico, Amsterdam, and Colombia and see what they do to illegals inside the country. There some real lessons to be learned, like how we're about 50 years behind the times.

Catch and release has to stop as well.

As for improved technology, that stuff is lying around all over the private sector, and I'm not even talking about SWORDS.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu May 18, 2006 4:17 pm

i have to say the most amusing thing about the whole issue is hearing my mom's vehement support of deporting illegal immigrants, mostly because she went through the legal process and apparently is pissed about having to learn more about US history than the average natural born citizen knows.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu May 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Were my grandfather alive today, he'd share the same sentiment (as your moms, we both think you're a tool). It's probably frustrating as all hell for the people here legally, especially coming to find out that the US is one of the most lax nations when it comes to these things.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 am

The fence is suuuuch a dumb idea, I can't believe our governmental representatives haven't been drug into the streets by the populace and thrown to the dogs. Such is apathy, I suppose; no one is willing to just up and kill a politician anymore.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri May 19, 2006 2:55 pm

Sign of the times. What was once Revolution is now Riot.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 pm

I was kicked out of Germany for staying too long. I am pretty sure my ex-fiancee's ex-husband had something to do with it.

As far as immigration in Texas, you would wipe out most of the population down here if you made all of the immigrants go back across the border. Whether this is good or bad, I don't know. I just know everything here would be closed except the German restaurant.. which is run by an Asian lady.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Sun May 21, 2006 12:45 am

sourkraut, kimchi... whatever.

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm

As an update to this, we could just opt to ruin our own economy:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/22/immigr ... index.html

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 pm

"People are calling me telling me about their friend, their cousin, their neighbors -- they're moving back to Mexico," said Magdalena Schwartz, an immigrant-rights activist and pastor at a Mesa church. "They don't want to live in fear, in terror."

hey. uh. room for one more?

Jason Mustian

Return to “Deep Throats”