The Climate and us

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

The Climate and us

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm

It just seemed weird that theres no MoT subject on Globalwarming/Climate change. I'm wondering how worried/not worried people here are about it, whether people think Al Gore is a saint or teh devil, if humans do or don't have any effect, etc.

This has nothing to with with having recently seen an inconvenient truth :)
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

SporkAndrew
BSc (hams)

Postby SporkAndrew » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Wasn't there an article recently about the hole in the ozone layer actually repairing itself?

..Or am I just making stuff up.

:rotate:

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:19 pm

I thought An Inconvenient Truth was an extremely good vehicle for getting this information out. However, I expected to come home the next day and discover from commentary on the internet that he had distorted the science for the sake of hyperbolic fearmongering. Surprisingly that doesn't appear to be the case. Overwhelmingingly, people who know a lot more about this subject than me or even Al Gore were pretty impressed with his usage of very modern science. I guess the tapping of ice cores to measure CO2 levels thousands of years back is a very recent technique. Since then I think I saw somewhere that they recently got even more ice cores and can measure back far enough to show that the extreme amount of CO2 in our atmosphere is in no way cyclical, that we're far off the scale of any pattern.

Now, correlation is not automatically causation, but it seems very likely to me that in this case it probably is. People who actually study this sort of thing, and are thereby infinitely more able to comment on the situation, seem to feel pretty strongly that the amount of CO2 we're pumping out is directly causing all sorts of Global Warming effects.

Something I find amusing about the Bush White House is how they have a 1% doctrine for WMD (meaning that even if there's only a 1% chance that someone has WMD you have to treat it like a certainty), but not for something that is probably at least as devastating in Global Warming. We always "need more research" even when a vast majority of experts have been saying for years that they're pretty convinced that this is happening, and we're causing it.

I find it particularly amusing that China has better automobile emissions standards than the US.

Unfortunately I think we're probably fucked, I don't think we'll actually do something about it in the US until it's too late, and since we're by far the biggest perpetrator, we're going to kill some coastal cities.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

I don't really have anything contrary to add.

It's the circle of life, Simba.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 pm

I thought the most interesting thing was how the overwhelming majority of scientific peer reviewed publications were totataly in sync with the (pretty much as close to) scientific fact (as is possible in this day and age) that yes we are affecting the atmosphere and yes, that is affecting the world climate. Yet desipite this over half of the MSM publications on global warming continue to say that there is this controversy and doubt surrounding the issue.

scientists can't even agree pluto is a planet, but they are all in line saying we oughta cut CO2 ASAP. that most people aren't listening or won't listen must be frustrating as fuck.
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm

SporkAndrew wrote:Wasn't there an article recently about the hole in the ozone layer actually repairing itself?

..Or am I just making stuff up.

:rotate:

yes it is! it has nothing to do with global warming.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:25 pm

hobokenbob wrote:scientists can't even agree pluto is a planet, but they are all in line saying we oughta cut CO2 ASAP. that most people aren't listening or won't listen must be frustrating as fuck.

They might want to consider constructing giant CO2 scrubbers. You know, be Proactive.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:00 pm

genetically engineered supertrees? :shock:

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:39 pm

I was thinking more chemistry based "plants" basically air refineries.

Supertrees don't make jobs.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:42 pm

Genetically engineering them is a job.

Eolh
Serious Business

Postby Eolh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:45 pm

Maybe we can genetically engineer them to make gold too.

But then that just opens up another can of worms with inflation...damn science.
Your mind has been transported back in time...and to Mars.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:46 pm

Science. It works, bitches. (my shirt is on pre-order)

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:Genetically engineering them is a job.

Tell that to my friend that lost his job after the HGP was completed.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Seriously, theres all kinds of excitement over "carbon sequestering technology" which i guess is CO2 scrubbing (or in some plans simply burying under miles of rock or sea water). i'm hazy on the technology but i guess they're building this huge floating platform that sort of pumps CO2 deep intp the seabed?

Also why bother chemically developing something nature already has? it's just a amtter of making it economically viable for companies to open CO2 capturing farms, i'd assume huge vats of cyanobacterias, with the byproduct of creating that health food spirolena crap to sell to yuppies and astronauts. A carbon exchange market and backing legislation would be a huge step in the right direction.

Jason Mustian

dogmeat
Goat In!

Postby dogmeat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:18 pm

hobokenbob wrote:A carbon exchange market and backing legislation would be a huge step in the right direction.

Not with your current ruling junta in power...

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:19 pm

hobokenbob wrote:Seriously, theres all kinds of excitement over "carbon sequestering technology" which i guess is CO2 scrubbing (or in some plans simply burying under miles of rock or sea water). i'm hazy on the technology but i guess they're building this huge floating platform that sort of pumps CO2 deep intp the seabed?

I don't really see the logic in that, don't doubt someone trying to float the idea, but realistically, just have a steady state chemical reactor that just reduces CO2, and another reaction that binds carbon to keep the reduction from stalling.

Also why bother chemically developing something nature already has? it's just a amtter of making it economically viable for companies to open CO2 capturing farms, i'd assume huge vats of cyanobacterias, with the byproduct of creating that health food spirolena crap to sell to yuppies and astronauts. A carbon exchange market and backing legislation would be a huge step in the right direction.

An old professor of mine does research similar to that, only using certain bacteria to digest oil spills.

shorty
Floydian Hate

Postby shorty » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:39 pm

Personally, I think the reason that Bush and his ilk don't do anything about this is becauses they figure that they'll be dead/out of office before anything really bad happens.
A paranoid is merely someone who is in posession of all the facts.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:50 pm

shorty wrote:Personally, I think the reason that Bush and his ilk don't do anything about this is becauses they figure that they'll be dead/out of office before anything really bad happens.

well the fact of the matter is we'll be all old farts worried more about what flavor pudding we're getting for lunch than global warming by the time anything really really bad happens. Since I plan not to have kids I don't even really have to care at all then right? but that's the selfish "leave it for the next generation to take care of" attitude that's going to lead to serious tragedies in the coming century. your potential children are fooked.

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:16 pm

I've reversed my position on global warming. i just saw a news report that said if it continues on, shitty NE weather will be like South Carolina weather in 50 years. Sweet, I won't have to move to florida when i'm old, the weather will move to me. So whats a good price on a used Chevy Subaurban?

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Heh, I was actually looking to change up my SS for a Trailblazer. If you want gas guzzling at it's finest, Suburban 13/17 can't hold a candle to the Ram 1500 8.3L 10 Cyl Monster at 9/12. Oh, and it requires premium.

Return to “Deep Throats”