The Climate and us

Classified, Top Secret, Burn After Reading

Moderators: pablo banquo, Gobo, Bag of Ass, SporkAndrew

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:55 am

Kauser wrote: Oh, and it requires premium.

As does my motorcycle. But I get 50 mpg, you enviro-enemy you :)
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:11 am

I just kinda figured that would be a little hemlock on the tombstone. Even Harleys get around 40 per gallon. It's not weighing a ton and a half that does it. for the record my SS gets 28 combined.
Do not call up what you cannot put down.

Bag of Ass
Ninth Horrid Scar

Postby Bag of Ass » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:As does my motorcycle. But I get 50 mpg, you enviro-enemy you :)

I get that and I don't require premium. Plus, I can carry a load of groceries home.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:59 pm

Bag of Ass wrote:
Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:As does my motorcycle. But I get 50 mpg, you enviro-enemy you :)

I get that and I don't require premium. Plus, I can carry a load of groceries home.

so could a vespa with some creative use of bungie cords...
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

pablo banquo
Banjo Froggo

Postby pablo banquo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:01 am

Friend is watching "An Inconvenient Truth" in the next room. Scary stuff.
i before e except after a few beers

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 pm

Interesting, an inhanbited island um.. washed away.
http://news.independent.co.uk./environm ... 099971.ece
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:36 am

I remember in the 1970's people were worried about global cooling. Put up a whole bunch of charts and graphs, cited insane blizzards, and downward temperature trends from the previous 30 years.

Now you expect me to believe that an island off the coast of India, in the midst of two emptying rivers is succumbing to global warming and not erosion?

Burn a couple more bras you fucking hippies.

On a related note, if a 65 degree winter is what this whole deal buys me, then my time standing on my back porch spraying aqua net into the air has paid off.

I HAVE CHORTLES!

Postby . » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:01 pm

So far, these past couple months have been 80°+ and I goddamn hate it. Enough with the hairspray, Kauser. You don't have to fix their hair once they've died, they'll never notice.

I also refuse to believe that is the first island to be covered in water.

I am more concerned about saving the 400 tigers on that other island. I have an inflatable boat, I think I can help!

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:08 am

. wrote:I also refuse to believe that is the first island to be covered in water.

That was my main serious point, the rest was somewhat sarcastic.

Honestly, if it is the sea that has risen to swallow the islands, how much coastline has been lost from the mainland as well? Water doesn't have highlands and low lands.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm

actually global warming may make the island come back: those rivers are fed by retreating glaciers.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:40 pm

It's 70 in the northeast today. Thank you El Nino.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:07 pm

NECN showed a picture of a guy out water skiiing on saturday. If not for the rain right now, it'd still be sans-coat weather.

Global Warming or not, it's just freaky and wrong. The vermonters are already tapping their maples syrup, the trees are all budding, and I have flowers and green grass in the back yard. it's like we skipped winter.

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:10 pm

El Nino.

This happened a couple years ago as well.

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Isn't El Nino basicaly a big huge mass of warm water in the Pacific Ocean?

Jason Mustian

Kauser
Son of Perdition

Postby Kauser » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:31 pm

hobokenbob wrote:Isn't El Nino basicaly a big huge mass of warm water in the Pacific Ocean?

wikipedia wrote:In North America, typically, winters are warmer than normal in the upper Midwest states, the Northeast, and Canada, while central and southern California, northwest Mexico and the southeastern U.S., are wetter and cooler than normal.

on weather.com for saturday ONLY the eastern seaboard from maine to florida was above 60, while the rest of the country, including austin and la were around 50.

and god save me for using wikipedia.

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:58 am

December through early January was freakily warm here, just like it was last year and the year before, and seemingly trending that way before that. Winters have been steadily becoming less and less intense in Michigan.Something is up besides El Nino. Last year, the snowy weather lasted here until almost April, but it was just barely cold enough to snow...

If current temp trends hold, considering El Nino has apparently weakened, it looks like winter is already over here. It lasted about a month.
"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." - Albert Einstein

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:36 pm

I guess now that even Exxon and Bush have admited to the existance of Global Climate change and humanity's affect, and with that scientific consensus at the begining of this month, the debate on its existance is more or less over.

Now I suppose the question is what the hell do we do about it? :/

Jason Mustian

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:24 pm

And on that note:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6378471.stm

I think i mentioned it before in my lobstah thread, but environmentalism is going to be the next big thing for the ever present snake oil salesmen.
And why not? If some vacuous hollywood jet setter who wants to be hip and save the world will throw money at someone else to 'offset her carbonz' I'll gladly take that money and plant a tree... granted the tree will be on peurto rico and me and that tree will be taking a 1st class trip out to a 5 star resort for a week...

Jason Mustian

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress
Old Maid

Postby Too-Much-Coffee Mistress » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:39 am

Was discussing this tonight with a guy at work who thinks global warming is bullshit (or at least human-caused global warming, anyway), and I brought up Inconvenient Truth... he gets all huffy and starts in with "Gore blames it ALL on people, doesn't even mention anything about changes in the sun causing anything!"

I'm just like "First of all, you must have watched a different version than I did, because at no point do I recall him blaming all environmental ills on 'humanity' specifically. And what the hell would be the point of bringing up changes in the sun?? Might as well say 'Well, what's the point of anything, might as well off ourselves since the sun is going to go supernova eventually and destroy the earth anyway! ' "

hobokenbob
Uncle Bob

Postby hobokenbob » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Too-Much-Coffee Mistress wrote:Was discussing this tonight with a guy at work who thinks global warming is bullshit (or at least human-caused global warming, anyway), and I brought up Inconvenient Truth... he gets all huffy and starts in with "Gore blames it ALL on people, doesn't even mention anything about changes in the sun causing anything!"

I'm just like "First of all, you must have watched a different version than I did, because at no point do I recall him blaming all environmental ills on 'humanity' specifically. And what the hell would be the point of bringing up changes in the sun?? Might as well say 'Well, what's the point of anything, might as well off ourselves since the sun is going to go supernova eventually and destroy the earth anyway! ' "

not to shamlessly tie two threads together or anything but if the sun is getting warmer and you beleive in god then god wants the world to get warmer therefore we shouldn't tamper with it. that particular idea is probably already very popular - and if it isn't it will be!

Jason Mustian

Return to “Deep Throats”